FSA / Shimano BB compatibilty

100%
100% Posts: 236
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Hi,

Is there any compatibility between FSA and shimano BB's and cranksets? For example, is it possible to use a shimano crankset with an FSA BB?

Cheers,
Steve

Comments

• bobtravers
    bobtravers Posts: 115
    Don't reaaly think you can,as the tolerance between theses two might be different...
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Depends on which chainset and which BB.

FSA make both Campag and Shimano spec square taper bottom brackets.

They also make ISIS type BBs, but I don't think Shimano ever madea an ISIS chainset.

And I've recently fitted a Shimano Tiagra Hollowtech 2 bb to a FSA SLK Mega Exo chainset. Perfect. So a Shimano Hollowtech chainset could be used with FSA bb without problem.

So the answer is yes, but you need to be specific about what you are trying to do.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would take care on the external bearings as most after market suppliers list the FSA ones separately while the Sram/truvative and shimano are listed together. I trhink it is just the spacers/washers on the axle that are different. but as above it can work.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Nicklouse, I think it's the other way round. Shimano/FSA are compatible. SRAM/Trvative are not.(different bearing size on LH side I think)
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    proto wrote:
    So the answer is yes, but you need to be specific about what you are trying to do.

I was trying to work out if it was possible to use an FSA Gossamer compact chainset with a Shimano Dura-Ace 7800 BB.

Equally, it would have been interesting to see if a Shimano Ultegra 6600 series double crankset would work with the FSA bottom bracket that is installed with the Gossamer crankset.

It's nothing major, just wanted to get an idea about the possibilities of what could be swapped around, used together etc.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • kafkathedog
    kafkathedog Posts: 242
    I have FSA gossamer Mega Exo Compact cranks and had a matching fsa bottom bracket.

After the botttom bracket wore out I swapped for an Ultegra BB.

Works fine although cranks did need a slight tap to get them through at first.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    If we're talking HT2 BBs then I think some FSA chainsets will mix with Shimano BB cups but some don't. I think it's the top end ones that don't mix but I can't recall which ones.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I have the FSA Gossamer compact chainset with the FSA BB-6000 bottom bracket.

The Bottom Bracket may have worn out. Can i replace it with a Hope Bottom Bracket http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27627
  • NWLondoner
    I have the FSA Gossamer compact chainset with the FSA BB-6000 bottom bracket.

The Bottom Bracket may have worn out. Can i replace it with a Hope Bottom Bracket http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27627
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've got a Gossamer chainset with a 7900 DA bottom bracket, so if the Hope BBs are shimano HT2 compatible go for it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • NWLondoner
    I've got a Gossamer chainset with a 7900 DA bottom bracket, so if the Hope BBs are shimano HT2 compatible go for it.

Cool. Looks like i'll go for the ceramic version 8)
  • redddraggon
    NWLondoner wrote:

Waste of money for a Gossamer....

Weight difference is only slightly, and frictionally you aren't really better off. DA 7800/7900 (or even 105/Ultegra) is probably a better bet - only around £20.

Far better places the money can be spent than on a ceramic BB for a Gossamer.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner wrote:

Waste of money for a Gossamer....

Weight difference is only slightly, and frictionally you aren't really better off. DA 7800/7900 (or even 105/Ultegra) is probably a better bet - only around £20.

Far better places the money can be spent than on a ceramic BB for a Gossamer.

Is this the BB that you have http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28439
  • redddraggon
    Yeh that's the one
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • NWLondoner
    Yeh that's the one

ok thats great.

I'll get a set of those instead then.

daft question, i take it the crank arm/spindle stays attached to the cranks and just slots into the new BB?
  • NWLondoner
    Yeh that's the one

How the hell did you managed to get your cranks into that BB.

We tried in vain tonight to get the cranks in but they just would not go in!!

Had to revert back to my old FSA BB
  • redddraggon
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Yeh that's the one

I found the 7900 BB far less tight fitting than the FSA BB. The FSA BB always needed a good hammering on the cranks to get it all to fit. Try using a rubber hammer. The 7900 BB is definitely compatible though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Yeh that's the one

I found the 7900 BB far less tight fitting than the FSA BB. The FSA BB always needed a good hammering on the cranks to get it all to fit. Try using a rubber hammer. The 7900 BB is definitely compatible though.

Thats the funny thing. He did use a rubber mallet. Only got a inch in then came to a grinding halt. When he took the crank out again ALL the grease had been cleaned off the 1 inch section of spindle.

Oh well gives me an excuse to get some better cranks 8)
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I have just fitted a Tiagra BB to my Gossamer. No trouble at all and £7 from CR flood sale.
  • I have a BB question too and thought it more productive to tag onto here than start a whole new thread.

A BB is the only thing I've never tackled. I've always just walked into a LBS, handed my bike over, pointed at the BB and said 'It's bost, fix it please'.

The BB is going on my road bike which is fitted with SRAM Rival chain rings and crank arms. The BB is SRAM GPX. Does that mean any GPX labelled BB will fit?

My LBS is getting a bit silly these days with component prices and it's time to source stuff myself. But I'm clueless when it comes to BB's.
  • redddraggon
    NWLondoner wrote:
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Yeh that's the one

Thats the funny thing. He did use a rubber mallet. Only got a inch in then came to a grinding halt. When he took the crank out again ALL the grease had been cleaned off the 1 inch section of spindle.

Oh well gives me an excuse to get some better cranks 8)

Did you manage to fit the Gossamer with the DA BB in the end?

I just swapped my gossamer compact for a triple on my Ribble and it fitted fine - although the removal of the compact wasn't easy it was doable.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr