Bad weather stops play

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Due to the recent run of wet weekends I've failed to do any sportives or decent distance rides for weeks and I'm now getting bored of my same commuting run pretty as it is, so is anyone planning a social ride this weekend?

Bored of Windshire
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Yes me.

I almsot threw a sickie today when I saw the blue skies outside. My commuter is stripped down at the moment with non of the extras used for the daily grind attached.

I was going out Saturday but that's going to be wet all day - but Sunday is looking good. I'm aiming to cycle to the High Peak trail and back - which should hit over 50 miles for the first time.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Yes me.

I almsot threw a sickie today when I saw the blue skies outside..

I was nearly at work when I spotted a group of riders on touring bikes. It was the Wellington Wheelers midweek ride. "Are you going to the seaside?" I asked. "Yes! Weymouth" was the reply. I must have a good work ethic because I somehow went to work instead.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    itboffin wrote:
    Bored of Windshire
    Go for a ride in Oxfordshire. Its wildly different.
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    Mother-in-law up this weekend = long ride out, come wind, rain, snow etc.

I too am aiming for my first 50miler. :shock:
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    itboffin wrote:
    Bored of Windshire

Yayy ! Go Oxfordshire !
    I can recommend many fine pubs in the area. You can even cycle to them :lol:
    (see the "what I did instead of working" thread for hints)

In fact, if you decide on Oxfordshire, give me a shout, I might be allowed out. So long as it's not raining :lol:

Disclaimer: I'm old and slow, and should be packing to go on holiday rather than thinking of going cycling to pubs with strangers off the interweb.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Kieran_Burns
    ince wrote:
    Mother-in-law up this weekend = long ride out, come wind, rain, snow etc.

I too am aiming for my first 50miler. :shock:

I'll show you mine if you show me yours 8)

Bikehike pervboy :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    Bored of Windshire

Yayy ! Go Oxfordshire !
    I can recommend many fine pubs in the area. You can even cycle to them :lol:
    (see the "what I did instead of working" thread for hints)

In fact, if you decide on Oxfordshire, give me a shout, I might be allowed out. So long as it's not raining :lol:

Disclaimer: I'm old and slow, and should be packing to go on holiday rather than thinking of going cycling to pubs with strangers off the interweb.

I was thinking of doing this 190km pootle route

Long-Route-Final.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • kevsterjw
    kevsterjw Posts: 45
    edited September 2009
  • Fireblade96
    ITBoffin wrote:
    I was thinking of doing this 190km pootle route

You missed it. That was 2 weeks ago ;-)

Seriously, if you do decide to do that give me a shout and I may join for the bit East of the A34 :-)

But now, I'm going to recce another bit of Oxfordshire and its pubs ...
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    True to form it's raining and its planning to rain all day

FFS
  • Kieran_Burns
    itboffin wrote:
    True to form it's raining and its planning to rain all day

FFS

I checked this - and the forecast is accurate so far... here's hoping tomorrow is also right
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    Tiz a perfect day for fettling, time to fit those bling bling brakes :D
  • Kieran_Burns
    Unfortunately i have a house to clean :cry: The downside to selling a house. No slobbing allowed.

Still. It means I can get everything ready for the Tour de Peaks tomorrow :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Fireblade96
    Currently warm and humid in Oxfordshireshireshire.
    However, rainfall radar shows a great big cloud about to dump its contents all over here :-(

Glad I had a great 24-mile blast on the bike last night :-)

*slinks off to shed clutching coffee and muttering about b@stard british weather*
    Misguided Idealist
  • sadly the cold that has been lurking for a week or so has made it's move so i feel poo still could be worse i recently stayed at my sisters, and one of her family has Swine flue, which is handy for the practice (he's a GP) as at least one will be immune if it comes to much.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Also feel like a cold is settling in, so no riding this weekend*. Result of very late nights and early morning through work. I am planning a bib short purchase and fettling instead.

Instead, I went to Ikea and was rewarded with four large hot dogs. :D

The next line of attack against the cold is spicy Singapore noodles and Pimm's tonight. Get. In.

*The 1.7 miles to Sainbury's and back just now hardly counts.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I got 30 miles in this morning, with the roads wet and it threatening to rain all the time, but managed to avoid it all.

As soon as I stepped into the house the heavens opened though...yay me! :lol:
    us0.png
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    Also feel like a cold is settling in, so no riding this weekend*. Result of very late nights and early morning through work. I am planning a bib short purchase and fettling instead.

Instead, I went to Ikea and was rewarded with four large hot dogs. :D

The next line of attack against the cold is spicy Singapore noodles and Pimm's tonight. Get. In.

*The 1.7 miles to Sainbury's and back just now hardly counts.

Good plan young man, I just rewarded myself and the family with a slap up curry :wink:
    should have stopped half way but my lack of will power yet again let me down :oops:
  • ince
    Well I did it ...

51.07 miles, 2h 58min with an average of 17.2 around the north west part of cheshire :D .

Sun was out all the way around and has topped up the tan quite a bit. Happy days :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Ince - you didn't do 51 miles on the fixed, did you? :shock:

I can only dream of 51 miles today. Cracing sore throat, so have contented myself with finally fitting the front mech to my commuter. Finally! 18 months after it entered service. :roll: Hopefully, this will stop the chain falling off.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Kieran_Burns
    edited August 2009
    I did it too! :D

Total distance 61.15 miles :shock:

More details in ride reports - right after I've eaten and watched Top Gear :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    Good show people I only managed 35 miles today because I was totally bored with riding :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes bored! :roll:
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    perhaps you need a break :wink:
  • cjcp wrote:
    Ince - you didn't do 51 miles on the fixed, did you? :shock:

I can only dream of 51 miles today. Cracing sore throat, so have contented myself with finally fitting the front mech to my commuter. Finally! 18 months after it entered service. :roll: Hopefully, this will stop the chain falling off.

had a slow weekend of sleeping and pub lunches, sadly no biking as sound like i've same cold, and trying to be goood...
  • itboffin
    doog442 wrote:
    perhaps you need a break :wink:

I was 8 miles short of 1000 in July, August has to be 1k then I'll take a break for the rest of the year. the problem is not the cycling it's cycling ALONE!

Boring!!!!
  • ince
    Grarz KB on the 61 miles :D

No I didn't do it on the fixed. Best on that bike was 22 miles and it did me in.
  • Kieran_Burns
    ince wrote:
    Grarz KB on the 61 miles :D

No I didn't do it on the fixed. Best on that bike was 22 miles and it did me in.

lengthy missive now available at all good ride reports :wink:

Now who mentioned the sportive? I commute 14 miles each way and hadn't been on the bike for 3 weeks before I did that 61 mile run... so if I can do it.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    I had a dream last night that I was cycling in a river down stream for what seemed like hundreds of miles eventually finishing in a small rock pool, which oddly enough had people sitting around the edges kind of like the beach, I managed to lift my bike onto the side but alas was so spent from the effort of cycling this river I could not pull myself out.

I remember someone asking me how far I'd ridden and then woke up, very tired and thirty.

:roll:

I think I've spent way too much time cycling in the rain recently :lol:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I'm hoping that tomorrows weather will differ from the forecast or else the 90miles planned will be a bit damp
  • itboffin
    Bleeding typical!!!

No rain, wind or clouds so much for the met office forecast, guess it's out on the bike then.

Snorkel packed just in case