Warranted for XXX travel....

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited August 2009 in MTB general
What does this actually mean?

That the manufacturer will guarantee the frame will be strong enough for a certain fork length?

Does it mean anything in warranty terms?? ie replacements etc etc?

Tis a term that gets thrown around a lot, but i'm not 100% sure of its understanding...

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hard to prove anyway, especially with travel adjust forks.

But if they say that it is warrantied for upto 150mm forks, and they find out you were using 160mm, then the warranty will be void if the frame dies. No replacement.

Of course a lot of confusion with crown/axle lengths too, but go on what the terms and conditions of your warranty explicity state.
  • Hmmm... I really need to find the proper warranted fork length for my bike.
    NS aren't emailing me back :(
  • fourcrossjohn
    fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
    shove some boxxers on there or some long travel fox's, go out the good way
  • nah... only want 180mm. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=21359

I know i can put DC forks on the frame, just not sure how long as NS only say "warranted for DC forks".

Useless!!
  • ccc
    ccc Posts: 193
    supersonic wrote:

I've been wondering about this. If a frame is only warranted for, say 120mm travel and you stick a 140mm u-turn or talas on it are you breaking the terms of the warranty even if you only ever run it at 120mmm?

Be interested to know if anyone knows for certain or has had any experience of it.
    Eyes on the prize.
  • discurio
    discurio Posts: 118
    is it because a longer fork puts more stress on the headtube? im confused
    I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, basically.

And in some cases, especially XC frames, people tend to use the bike for more than intended with longer forks.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    ccc wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

I've been wondering about this. If a frame is only warranted for, say 120mm travel and you stick a 140mm u-turn or talas on it are you breaking the terms of the warranty even if you only ever run it at 120mmm?

Yes. There's no way you'd be able to prove that you only ran it at 120 mm so the manufacturer wouldn't have to honour the warranty (although they still might).