Sportive comparison...

derekwatts
derekwatts Posts: 107
Hi All

Just got back from an overseas work trip where I put together a ride around some hills in California. The maximum elevation is only 2500ft (760m) but it starts, finishes and visits sea level several times during the ride. Well, I don't have a Garmin Edge (yet) so I can't say what the maximum or average gradient is on the climbs, though a rough calculation points to about 6% average on two of the climbs. The route covers 80 miles and has a total of 8500ft (2600m) of climbing.

So my question is, where does this sit in the spectrum of sportives? Would it be considered medium, hard, easy (it didn't feel easy!) I would like one day to do something like the Etape, but I would like to know how much better I will need to get!

Thanks

Derek

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    About 128km and 2600m of climbing would probably be a 'medium'

For comparison the Etape 08 and 09 is about 170km and 3750m. (probably medium/hard - 07 was harder)
    The Marmotte is about 5000m of climbing. (hard).

I have the details for a number of the UK sportives too if anyone would like them.
    exercise.png
  • derekwatts
    derekwatts Posts: 107
    Sorry to have only just replied to this. I would like the details to any of the UK sportives you have as well, just as a comparison. I re-visited the Californian hills last week and now have built up a century ride with 9000ft of climbing. Next time I go back should be tougher still, as I have worked out a harder route with less flat in it.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    derekwatts wrote:
    The route covers 80 miles and has a total of 8500ft (2600m) of climbing.

So my question is, where does this sit in the spectrum of sportives? Would it be considered medium, hard, easy (it didn't feel easy!) I would like one day to do something like the Etape, but I would like to know how much better I will need to get!

Thanks

Derek

Medium

"Easy" - might be a 50-60 miler - 4000 - 5000 ft
    "Medium" - might be a 75-90 miler 7500 - 9500 ft
    "Hard" - might be a 100-130 miler 11,000-15,000 ft

Just quick/approx thought.