Options?

Flenser
Flenser Posts: 372
edited August 2009 in MTB buying advice
I've decided to buy local so that I can try before I buy and to this end I've done a little trawl of the four bike shops in town.

I've decided on a budget of £600 but am prepared to push that slightly if it results in a significantly better spec.

With this in mind what would people say would be my options?

Stonehenge Cycles: Specialized, Marin and Giant.

Love the Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc '09 at £685.10 but that's at the very top of my budget. Not too aware of Giant and Marin at my chosen price point.

Hayball Cycles: Trek, GT and Raleigh.

Quite liked a look of a couple of the Treks that I was shown but once again I'm not really aware of the range. I'm vaguely aware of Raleigh having a bad rep but the AT40 seemed alright.

Nash's Cycles (no website, five doors away from me): Dawes, Haro, Meridia and Scott.

Liked the look of the Scott Aspect 45 that he had in the shop and loved the look of Haro Mary XC 29er in the catalogue.

Not aware of Dawes or Merida but I was told that Merida are the parent of Specialized and manufactures for, or owns, several other top makes.

Proper LBS, friendly bloke and when I said I only lived five doors down he said he'd be able to "see me alright", hopefully with prices rather than bumsecks or anything like that. :lol:

Finally there's a Halfords with Carrera, GT and Boardman.

I know I'm going to be told to see what I like the feel of but there are thousands of models between those four shops and there's no way I can try them all.

Any experience of the makes I've listed or anyone particularly love any of the bikes from them?

Tall order I know but many thanks for any help you can give.
Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to visit the shops and have a look at a few. then make a shortlist of say 3 and give them a test.

For XC and general trails the Boardman Comp and Rockhopper Comp would be topping my list.
  • Flenser
    Should have said it will be initially ridden on roads, in woods a bit of single track and some cross country. But it's early day so who knows where it will end up as my bravery increases...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If wanting a bit more travel, then the Carrera Fury and Genesis Cores are worth a look.
  • Flenser
    supersonic wrote:
    If wanting a bit more travel, then the Carrera Fury and Genesis Cores are worth a look.

They've got the Fury in Halfords but the Cores I'd have to buy blind. Do like the Core 20 that's reduced at the moment.
  • Flenser
    Bugger.

The brother in law's just bought a Marin Alchemist 4.7 2010 so I'll be buying his three month old Claud Butler Cape Wrath D27.

:cry:

Still mustn't grumble.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Yes I am riding Cape Wrath disc as in picture bike2.jpg
    although I now have a set of Recon Race shocks on the front and some 520 SPD's
    rides nice
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Flenser
    Considering the bike is only three months old I think I'm pretty happy with it, three hundred notes and I know he's not crashed it or even got too much use out of it.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Yes that seems a good price enjoy
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Flenser
    I got a ride on it the other day and compared to the Raleigh FS1 is climbs like a goat!
  • Flenser
    Flenser wrote:
    I got a ride on it the other day and compared to the Raleigh FS1 is climbs like a goat!

Just been brought over and set up. Took the wheel and rear reflectors off, added an SKS Xtra-Dry, my pump and saddlebag with rear light.

Adjusted the saddle and cockpit and now I'm ready to go for a ride tomorrow. :D