Week off, whre to go?

Mark Alexander
Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
edited August 2009 in The bottom bracket
Hi, I have a week off work, Fri 31 to fri 7th and am back in on Saturday. have no plans. I fancy riding somewhere that isn't South Wales. Can anyone help me? Any ideas welcome. Haven't got insurance abroad so it has to be in the UK. Trains are the mode of transport as I don't drive.
http://twitter.com/mgalex
www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business

Comments

• Angus444
    Angus444 Posts: 141
    Mark, you could do worse than Highland Perthshire, DESPITE the recent Etape Caledonia shenanigans.

Based in Pitlochry, there are great routes around Aberfeldy, Crieff, Rannoch, or further north at Blair Atholl, Calvine, or south around Perth, Blairgowrie, Forfar, etc.

Weather up here is ok just now. I was in Pitlochry last week, and it's buzzing, but not too packed. :D
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    head for Applecross bay the other side of Bealach na Ba, or Pass of the Cattle

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/a ... index.html

stunning area to visit and brilliant food in the Applecross inn.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I've just been my Hols (no bike I'm afraid) and thought the roads in south Devon and South Cornwall were not good. Unless on a busy A road you had to take these tiny roads which were very damp and very green. Thrown into the mix were the big nasty steep hills; no grip for tyres when out of the saddle on the way up and no grip when twisting down, so dangerous in the extreme. I'd only ride my bike if it had been dry for a week there which never happens in those parts.
    I quite like the New Forest (Hampshire/ Dorset) but the A roads will be nuts though.
    Cheers Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    How about the Isle of Wight? Train to Portsmouth, then ferry to Ryde. Lots of nice roads and beaches, decent places to stay. I've been there a couple of times (when I lived in the UK) and enjoyed it a lot.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    West Country Way.

Loops around the South Downs

Suffolk (recently did the Dunwich Dynamo - the roads are really lovely and quiet too)

Dorset - coast and country, a few hills.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • How about Cav's homeland, The Isle Of Man ? It looks truely stunning
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Get yerself up to the Lake District - take waterproofs though. It will rain...

Train to Windermere and Cumbria's yer oyster.
  • The Eden Valley. It is the bit of Cumbria on the right of the M6. Ride to places like Lazonby, Melmerby, Appleby, Brough, Penrith, Kirkby Stephen.

I think there are railway stations near Penrith or Shap or suchlike.

Dufton Youth Hostel is clean and has a bike shed. Great walk up to High Cup Nick if you want a bit of time off the bike.

I recommend the (vegetarian) food at Little Salkeld Watermill.
  • Funnily enough I've occasionally thought about taking a week off to roughly follow the route of the Southern Upland Way--about 200 miles (obviously depends exactly which roads you use, since the SUW itself is a walking trail).

This was after passing across the area (Langholm to Peebles) on a LEJoG a few years ago. Impressive open scenery, hardly anyone there (I saw 2 people in 30 miles), great for rough camping. There's also the Samye Ling Tibetan Buddhist monastery--a bizarre sight in its setting but good fun for a cafe stop.

Obviously this is one for people who really like isolation--if it rains, there aren't really any cities you can take a day off to sightsee in. Transport might also be a bit of a faff since the nearest train stations to the each end are Stranraer and Dunbar.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    CHRISNOIR wrote:

Agreed - go to the Lakes - if weather permitting - check weather over and over in advance though - quite variable up there.
  • drewfromrisca
    drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
    Although a Welshman I often refer to the lakes as my homeland. All the families from there. Did a few days up there in May/June. Just wish I had my bike with me. It's cycling heaven up there.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • Mettan wrote:
    CHRISNOIR wrote:

Agreed - go to the Lakes - if weather permitting - check weather over and over in advance though - quite variable up there.

Even then you won't have a clue what the weatehr will be. The lakes has so many little micro climates.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    volvine wrote:
    head for Applecross bay the other side of Bealach na Ba, or Pass of the Cattle

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/a ... index.html

stunning area to visit and brilliant food in the Applecross inn.

Great shout!!! It's heaven on earth up there. I've cycled the entire area and stayed over at the Applecross inn! Quiet roads, great scenery and amazing food. Tranquilo!!!

Lakes are good but i found them far too busy.....unless you get up for a ride at 6am :D

......Just go to The Applecross area, it's stunning. I guarantee you'll love it :wink:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Ere - park your tent somewhere in my half acre garden. Cycle the quietest roads you can imagine - with company. Be prepared for errant sheep, cattle grids and the odd rainshower.

PM me if your interested !
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • EdZed
    EdZed Posts: 119
    You could try Ruland and the surrounding area for a few days. There are no mountains etc. so may not be what you want but there are miles of rolling hills and beautiful countryside on very quiet roads.