rattling tiagra cassette

steve68
steve68 Posts: 21
edited August 2009 in Workshop
my new bike has a 9 speed tiagra cassette, 12-25T. On its first ride it sounded like the mechanic had left some spanners in the frame. Further riding revealed that the rattle was much worse when the chain was on the 6th 7th and 8th cogs. With the wheel in place these wobble slightly, unlike the rest of the cogs. Is this normal, or should the whole cassette feel tight?

Comments

• Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    steve68 wrote:
    my new bike has a 9 speed tiagra cassette, 12-25T. On its first ride it sounded like the mechanic had left some spanners in the frame. Further riding revealed that the rattle was much worse when the chain was on the 6th 7th and 8th cogs. With the wheel in place these wobble slightly, unlike the rest of the cogs. Is this normal, or should the whole cassette feel tight?

The cassette hasn't been tightened properly onto the hub. The higher gears are typically individual cogs, with the larger cogs being a cluster. Hence the problem being worse on those cogs.

You need to get the LBS to tighten the cassette properly. It has torque setting printed on the lockring but basically it needs to be pretty tight.

If you have a lockring tool and a large spanner you can do it yourself in a couple of minutes. The LBS should have checked this. It would probablly affect the shifting too.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Is there a spacer missing?
    M.Rushton
  • peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    Had this in the middle of a race due to lbs not tightening, admittedly I should have checked.
  • steve68
    steve68 Posts: 21
    you're right - cassette not tightened up enough by shop. Also limit screws not set on rear derailleur. Won't mention the shop or bike type! Now being sorted out.
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    Same happened to me. I obviously didn't tighten up the cassete adequately and then when I was riding on a rough surface a loud ratlle developed. Problem now solved. Many thanks.
  • One of my bikes developed an horrendous noise in the three largest sprockets, after an awful 6 hour ride in the rain. Last night, I investigated by readjusting the gears from scratch (10speed ultegra 6600). No problems found. Then I spotted that the cassette can now wobble (or float) about three millimetres! I thought a simple lockring tightening would solve the problem. Not so: it was still tight. Also, no spacers or washers have been lost.

This problem only started recently, after about 2500 miles of perfect operation. It only makes a bad noise in the three lowest gears when the chainline is pulling the cassette away from the hub. It gets worse when you put the chain onto the big ring (or big-ish ring, as it's a compact).

I'm tempted to remove the cassette again (previously removed and cleaned no make sure nothing preventing lockring preload acting through entire thickness of cassette) and re-attach the freehub. If this doesn't work, I'll maybe insert another washer, although it never needed any additional washers over and above the 1mm one normally required for 10speed shimano at the cassette / freehub interface.

Any pointers appreciated.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Did you fit the 1mm spacer behind the cassette when you refitted it. It is easily missed off. If so then remove the cassette and check that the lock ring goes right the way in. If both these are OK I can see no reason why the cassette will not tighten up. Can you move individual sprockets. If not then it is probably a freehub problem.
  • Hi John.T

Thanks for your comments. Yes, the 1mm spacer was fitted. I dis-assembled the cassette again, and tried another spare 10 speed cassette, and it had the same problem. In the end, I used the 1mm spacer from the spare cassette, and fitted that along with the original 1mm spacer and cassette. That seemed to allow the lock ring to clamp things together with a much reduced movement. With a bit of further derailleur adjustment to accommodate the new cassette location, the gears are back to working nicely again.

It's odd that this problem never occurred previously with the single 1mm spacer, but never mind - it's working now!