Rolling resistance... blimey!

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited August 2009 in MTB general
I have recently built a SS commuter out of a heavy steel frame, and so I fitted 26x1.5 slick tyres and have been having a lovely commute all week in the rain with full panniers.

I am heading to the trails tomorrow so decided to get the MTB out and ride it to the LBS to get a new pump, and in doing so nearly died! I can't believe the difference that tyres make to speed and ease of peddling.

Has anyone else had this? I am feeling unsure about hitting the trails now as I have had it so easy commuting all week. :?

Comments

• Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I have an MTB based commuter with slicks.. yes slicks make a massive difference. It's amazing how much energy those little kobblies on MTB tyres can chew up.
    Also, we did an asphalt ride in the wet some time back, my slick shod commuter was clean compared to the other two MTBs with knobbly tyres, they collected tons of crap on the frame where mine was almost spotless. Another big factor is noise, slicks are almost silent compares to kobblies.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    I just switched my Stumpjumpers S-Works Fast Trak LK rather fast rolling 2 inchers for a pair of Maxxis 2.25 Inch quite nobly and a bit more weather appropriate Ardents. The difference is quite noticeable on tarmac but hey if you are unhappy with them lets see you do the trails on your slicks :P
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Heh, I did a group ride at glentress and switched from my usual 2.1 nevegals to a 2.35 Blue Groove stick-e on the front and a 2.35 nevegal rear... I thought I was going to die on the way up the hill :lol: I'm not very fit/strong at the best of times, old injuries, but I can usually just about hang on behind my mates, not that night. What a difference tyres make...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    I put some Supertacky Dual Ply Maxxis Swampthings for a run at Llandegla a couple of years ago and only just made 1 lap. My legs were dead for days after.

I had to pedal on the downhill sections just to keep going :shock:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I dont find the difference too bad between slicks and knobblies (maybe my rear is wearing out!) I have more trouble with the switch from rigid to suspension forks - first mile on my xc bike it feels weird after a week on rigid!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    Thats why I never understood the point changing my tyres. I have 2.2s and they are hard work on the road but it makes me fitter and stronger. I only ride on the road to build fitness for riding off road anyway.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    i ride a susser and a ridged bike. spent all week on the ridged decided to ride the susser home last night so glad i can takeit of road on way back would of killed me otherwise