rochshox 426 on 1993 zaskar le?

cap hook
cap hook Posts: 6
edited August 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys let me explain my problem I had an accident at work some years ago which resulted in me losing my right hand and forearm 4" below the elbow. I wear a false arm and have had my bike converted so I have everything on the left hand bar. I have a 1993 zaskar le (from new) and run RST 381 forks but these are now knackered and keep causing problems with my stump thro the bumping. I know that 100mm forks are recommended by GT but could I run 426's with lower pressure to give a plusher ride and not be the full 140mm travel. Any advice would be helpfull as after a ride i now have to give my arm a couple of days rest and want to ride every day.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not on a bike like that unfortunately - way too much travel. 100mm is pushing it. And a pike is unsuitable really.

However a new fork would be much better controlled and more sensitive than your RST. An RS Reba would be a better bet.

What headset and size are you running? And brakes?
  • cap hook
    thanks for that swift reply Im running a threaded stem at moment and magura rim brakes I know i am going to have to upgrade to a threadless headset and disc setup, just need the plushest ride i can get to soak up the bumps.
  • supersonic
    Have to check the width too - an inch or 1+1/8th. Not many forks or headsets available in the former now.

Sticking with a similar travel fork will also keep the weight balance you are used to.
  • cap hook
    thanks for the advice supersonic the 426's I were looking at where 426 AIR U TURN and i was thinking of winding them down to 100mm. I weigh 17st so there would be a bit of sag when sat on the bike. I have measured my stem at 1 1/8th" but I would be getting a new headset to suit the new forks. Like i have said earlier I just need the smoothest ride I can get.
  • supersonic
    The 426 Pike is a heavy duty fork that weighs a lot - and requires a specific axle and hub. The 426 Revelation is lighter and can be got with a normal 9mm quick release.

I still think the 100mm travel Reba is the way to go. With dual air chambers, adjustable rebound damping, adjustable compression damping, and tunable blow off threshold you can set these up anyway you want, as extra travel does not always mean a plusher ride. It may compromise the handling and ride if you are running too much sag. The Air Uturn Reba is 85-115mm (or 90-120mm for 2009) and would give you a more useful range should you wish to experiment.

I have a 96 Zaskar LE, and anything above 100mm really ilts your weigth backwards behind the bottom bracket.
  • Supersonic Ive had a look at the reba's today think you are right that would be the best choice. with all the adjustability. thanks for the advice I will let you know the outcome when I buy and fit them, I might need some advice in setting them up.
  • supersonic
    No probs. Would love to see some pics of the bike too!
  • Hi Supersonic here is a pic i will post some more in the my rides section.

zaskar2.jpg

levers close up

levers3.jpg
  • gaff_taff
    gaff_taff Posts: 346
    :shock: Did these frames come in that colour stock, that is a really nice ride

Taff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    blimey, a purple gt from the dark ages, sonic might need some alone time!!

that looks ace, suprisingly modern,must be the nice parts or whatever but thats pretty cool.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    We don't see many purple bikes overhere (well at least I don't), so yours look very nice for a 16 year old frame. :)