MTB Gloves

Bikehawk
Bikehawk Posts: 102
edited July 2009 in MTB general
Hi All,
I've been reading the forums etc for a while now and have finally decided to take the plunge and join in. Sorry if this has come up before but I'm trying to find recommendations for full fingered gloves suitable for riding at my local trail centre during the warmer months. The one's I've been using since January are Kellys not sure which model but I've used them in snow and not suffered with the cold. Preference would be for something with a nice bit of padding on the palms as I'm starting to move onto longer trails 3hrs+.

Any recommendations advice appreciated.

:? :? :?

Comments

• SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Hot summer riding (if it happens) is 661 Raji

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... oves-31085

They don't have much/any padding but have superb ventilation. I’ve been using them since April on DH runs and 4+ hour trail rides and they are excellent.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Cyclestore has 2008 model Fox Sidewinders at £20, they're great gloves... A nice balance between protection and ventilation. Or Inclines for £16.19 if you want a lighter glove- they're my usual XC choice but I feel a wee bit exposed in them so I got some Sidewinders for trail centres etc (I'm used to motorbike gloves that you could catch bullets with :lol: )
    Uncompromising extremist
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    fox gloves are awesome
    i have the fox digit gloves and theyr the best 25 quid i ever spent.
    also had the fox attack gloves but i ripped them (my fault not theirs) and they were out of stock otherwise i would have bought them again.
    DONT BUY SOMBRIO GLOVES : i had three pairs and they fell apart, not through misuse or heavy use just 5hite quality
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • docker0141
    docker0141 Posts: 605
    i have to agree on the raji's.... they have no protection but are really light and well ventilated....mine have ripped quite a lot though
  • gaanrowl
    gaanrowl Posts: 326
    sorry to jump on your thread but im looking for some similar full finger gloves with some padding in the thumb crook and palm currently using some gore freeride they are a great glove just need a bit of padding. cheers
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Troylee XC's get my vote. I'm on my 6th pair, usually get around 6-9 months of riding/crashing out of them. Comfy, cool enough for summer and just warm enough for all but the coldest of days.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I'm a happy Raji wearer (although I've recently started wearing 661 Comps instead).

Some people have complained about them failing apart too quick, I've had no issues so perhaps there is a QC issue.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    CK ones for me nice and padded

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I loved my Fox Unibombers, they wern't the most hard wearing of gloves, I tent to hold the very end of my bars and the out edges of them started fraying.

Sadly the Paramedics cut them off so I'm gloveless now..
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Sir HC wrote:
    Troylee XC's get my vote. I'm on my 6th pair, usually get around 6-9 months of riding/crashing out of them. Comfy, cool enough for summer and just warm enough for all but the coldest of days.

+1 Troy Lee XCs are brilliant - comfy, look good and come in loads of colours. They do a summer version too I think...
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    My rajis are still holding up ok. The rubberized lettering on the finger-tips has started to come off, but I dont know what purpose it served anyway so not too bothered. And some of the pretty pattern on the palm has faded/worn off, but they still do the job. I actually have stupid tan lines now where I wear my gloves. Brown arms with white hands :roll:
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Specialized Ridge?

Very lightweight, good padding (BG), and ventilation - think mine were £20
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Heh, I was so convinced by my own sales tactics that I went out and got another pair of Fox Sidewinders. Still ace.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • troy lee's
    there simply the best, xc ones are very comfy :D
  • wemac
    wemac Posts: 91
    Pearl Izumi Elite Gel full finger glove - used them for a few months and found them very good
    Trek Fuel EX8 09
  • dave1294
    dave1294 Posts: 46
    I use this glove.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9369
    Cant fault it for the riding i do which is 2-3 hours. Although for some reason my glove has an extra pad at the bottom next to the single one on this photo. I have never used in the snow but i have never suffered from cold hands in winter. Your best bet is to start trying some on. If its comfy for you then its the only glove for you :) Good luck.
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I have had 2 pairs of 661 sx1 and they both have torn by the thumb.

I am not sure if I should be wearing them everyday, but they have both ripped in two months.

I will be trying fox next.
  • Bikehawk
    Bikehawk Posts: 102
    Hi, thanks for all the options, had a look at the 661 Rajis and they don't seem to have the padding that I'm after and the protection against brambles, low flying trees etc. The Fox's and Specialized both look good so will probably go with one of those.