pedals

snig
snig Posts: 428
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
at last I've just put in my order for a Pearson Touche (waiting for c2w voucher) so now need some pedels,thing is every bike in the passed I've owed came with flat pedals apart from 1 bike which came with 1 of those foot cage things,after falling off when moving off I forgot to take my foot out so ended up falling off! since that have always gone for flats,this bike I want to use a bit more than the rest and use to get a bit fit so I'm thinking do I try some "proper" pedeals this time?

are they that much better?
do you learn to unclip at a fast/safe speed?
do most of you have clip pedals?

cheers

Comments

• rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    You definitely want to go clipless to do justice to that bike, it makes the world of difference to power & ,perhaps counter-intuitively, safety (as with flats theres always the risk of your foot slipping off when you really push).

Set the tension low to start off with & it'll only take a few minutes practice to get used to.

I've done 3 years clipless & have yet to have an off because of them (thats me jinxed)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    If you mean SPDs....
    1. Yes. Much more efficient.
    2. Practice first at home, then somewhere quiet, and you'll soon get the hang of it.
    3. Many, certainly.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Yes, get SPDs.
    In fact, get these
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-pedals/shimano-bike-pedals/shimano-m520-spd-pedal.html
    Excellent pedals, double-sided for ease of clipping in, and at that price a cracking bargain.

:)
    Misguided Idealist
  • snig
    just seen this post my Fungus The Muffin Man-

I use
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 360008792/
    with
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360033176/

Statred with them on my MTB however they work fantastically with my road bike. The pedals are double sided and make it nice and easy to get in to ( and out of) especially when your starting out with them. And the shoes are nice and stiff very comfy plus you can walk in them no problem unlike road shoes.

do these make a good first shoe and pedal? seem to get good reviews.
  • snig
    Yes, get SPDs.
    In fact, get these
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-pedals/shimano-bike-pedals/shimano-m520-spd-pedal.html
    Excellent pedals, double-sided for ease of clipping in, and at that price a cracking bargain.

:)

cheers for that just saved me £10!!!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Happy to be of service :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Deadeye Duck
    Deadeye Duck Posts: 419
    Snig I have exactly the same pedal/shoe combination as you posted above and they're brilliant.

They take a little while getting used to and getting the cleats set up in the right position but all in all, a great pair at a great price. I even got the pedals from the place fireblade posted.
    Schwinn Fastback Comp : FCN 5
    The Flying Scot : FCN 515q6cuv.png
    My Life, My Bike & My Xbox
  • snig
    cheers all :D ,just ordered them pedals but am a bit worried that the details on the pedals kept saying "pedal" hope I don't just get 1! :?
  • Deadeye Duck
    Deadeye Duck Posts: 419
    You get two mate, don't worry :D
    Schwinn Fastback Comp : FCN 5
    The Flying Scot : FCN 515q6cuv.png
    My Life, My Bike & My Xbox
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Mr Deadeye Duck what part of "Lie to the newbies" didn't you understand??

Snig, you will not only have to order another pedal, you should get SPD SL cleats to go with them. Also burn those shoes and buy the most expensive and hideous shoes you can find.
  • They are easy to get used to after a bit of practice, but I remember when I got my first set about 15 years ago. I practiced leaning against the wall in the garage until I was confident, and then went for a trip around the block. As I pulled into the driveway I consciously unclipped my left foot which is the foot I normally put down first. As I was doing this however, the bike started leaning to the right! Of course, I couldn't get my right foot out and had the comedy falling over very slowly moment on the driveway!! And my, it can be a bugger trying to unclip when you are on the floor :lol:

The moral of the story is practice somewhere safe, and not in traffic!

The other tip is take your time setting the cleats up in the shoes, and make sure you do it properly (angle of dangle and all that) otherwise your knees will not thank you.

Wouldn't go back now though :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just got SPD's and shoes off the misses for my Birthday, plan to try them out on the local (grass) rec' first!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • snig
    tardington wrote:
    Mr Deadeye Duck what part of "Lie to the newbies" didn't you understand??

Snig, you will not only have to order another pedal, you should get SPD SL cleats to go with them. Also burn those shoes and buy the most expensive and hideous shoes you can find.[/quote

so now am guessing that I will receive just one pedal? and also need to order some cleats?
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Cleats will come with the pedals, and yes they do come as a pair.

Spend a bit of time also getting them adjusted right in your shoe, may take a few goes to get the angle and position right for you, if you don't then you'll strain your knees.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • snig
    chuckcork wrote:
    Cleats will come with the pedals, and yes they do come as a pair.

Spend a bit of time also getting them adjusted right in your shoe, may take a few goes to get the angle and position right for you, if you don't then you'll strain your knees.

cheers for that!