What ever happened to townies?

Hercule Q
Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
edited August 2009 in The Crudcatcher
I'm sure you remember them. Skyward baseball cap, trakkies tucked into reeboks. Remember they used to call anyone on a skateboard/bmx/mtb a goth, where have they gone are chavs like the grey squirrel and have wiped out nearly all the townies. are townies a protected species now kept in captivity. Who still calls them townies or NEDS cos when ever i say "look at those stupid townies trying to start fights" everyone looks at me funny and back to the squirrel comparison does this mean we can legaly kill chavs?

anyone else?

pinkbike
Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!

Comments

• xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    you ll still see a squad of them in Glasgow. Timberland, burberry wearing to$$ers

or am i thinking of chavs....?
  • boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    We used to call 'em townies when I was at school - and I was one of the folk who used to get "abused" by 'em - Greebo, Goff, Grunger, etc etc.

I guess everyone calls 'em chavs now, but I stil call 'em townies sometimes ;) Back in the early ninetees they used to wear "Slammin' Vinyl" and "Ministry of Sound" bomber jackets bought for a fiver off the local market.
  • xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    yeah their back to earing nike jackets from the early nighties now!

Lil scrotes

where i live their pretty evident - suppose its the one time i condone police brutality :lol:
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    We have a scurge of Lonsdale wearing, cut-price, pseudo-chavs round our way, mainly sporting Sunday market burberry caps perched on the backs of their empty heads, whilst pushing pushchairs, smoking black-market fags and drinking Tennants extra at 10am just after they've signed-on.

Horrible people, without exception.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    If you want to see townies, chav's, NEDS, or whatever you want to call them, then just drive through low life animal enclosure on the edge of Gtr Manchester. It's more commonly known as 'Wigan', it really is the centre of the universe for them. I think it has it's own micro-climate too, as all of the female specimens appear to be Orange in colour.

Nice pies though...
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i think the terms are pretty regional.

we call em neds round here.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • MarkEo
    MarkEo Posts: 308
    They're all in Hull, i think they've all migrated here

I could organise a day trip/townie safari if anyone's up for it?
    Tis better to regret something you've done than to regret not doing something!
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    MarkEo wrote:
    They're all in Hull, i think they've all migrated here

I could organise a day trip/townie safari if anyone's up for it?

Sounds like a great idea, can you shoot them and mount their heads on your wall?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • MarkEo
    Yeh you could do, you'll have to be fast though because they're not scared of humans and are always tooled up with shooters and stabbers so i wont be liable for any deaths that are caused on my townie safari
  • cee
    MarkEo wrote:
    Yeh you could do, you'll have to be fast though because they're not scared of humans and are always tooled up with shooters and stabbers so i wont be liable for any deaths that are caused on my townie safari

this is an urban myth....

in my experience, neds/chavs/townies pretend that they are not scared of humans and pretend that they carry stabbers and shooters, but the reality is that in 90% of encounters with neds in a recent study conducted with myself and 3 of my mates...its mostly all a bluff.

similar to some types of bear then, if you make yourelf as big as you can, and make a lot of noise, then they will most likely slink off into the woods. If they do start to attack, the key is to get in there first with everything that you have.

Do not run...the pack will almost definately sense the advantage and give chase....

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • MarkEo
    Have you ever been to Hull cee??
  • boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    Do not run...the pack will almost definately sense the advantage and give chase....

Yeh, and all the sports gear they wear makes 'em run faster :lol:
  • They're all chavs as far as I'm concerned. They can always be found in town centres usually, or hanging round outside a local one stop/spar/co-op.
    The best is when you ride past them and you get "nice bike mate, lets ave a go". Er no, bye
  • cee
    MarkEo wrote:
    Have you ever been to Hull cee??

Yip, and I spend quite a lot of time in glasgow...the friendly place.....

these londoners go on about all the stabbings that go on down there but its nothing compared to glasgow...

fact: you are more likely to be kicked to death in glasgow than stabbed in london.

H.G. Wells.
  • MarkEo
    Yeh i believe that

We know how to fight properly oop north, we use fists n feet GRrrrrrrrrrrrr!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Fully wrote:
    Nice pies though...

There's a rule, never put anything from Wigan in your mouth (10 nerdy points for anyone who knows where I got that from).
  • montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    xSTRATHYx wrote:
    you ll still see a squad of them in Glasgow. Timberland, burberry wearing to$$ers

or am i thinking of chavs....?

The pyoor heavy mento crew geein it aw that like yer a fuckin ticket ya mad rocket ye

(Living in Coatbridge is a bit like living in the Mad Max universe at times)

edit: this illutrates my point well.... dude in court for getting violent over his friend's desicion to buy a game for his kid that he thought was too violent... :roll:
    http://www.acadvertiser.co.uk/lanarkshi ... -24257168/
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • HighRolla
    HighRolla Posts: 29
    NEDs? Never heard that one. We had Kevs though.
    Townies sorta became wannabe shavs around here...but their numbers are diminishing. Most of them turned into emos a few yeas back I think
  • fatlad
    fatlad Posts: 105
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RBelz8BgX0

Hull...... hahahahahahahaha

PS not work safe unless your colleagues hate chavs.

Im worried that this vid makes me laugh till my sides really start aching.
    If you dont ride in the rain, you dont ride
  • johnnyboy29
    johnnyboy29 Posts: 100
    I live in the mecca/nest/hive of the scally which is your kev/chav/townie but they're more cunning and devious and wouldn't batter an eyelid if they sold their nan for a bag of weed :evil: .
    Its nice to see the emo and punk kids round here instead of fake armani lacoste north face tracksuit clad gangster/dealer.
    I'm sure lacoste is really a scouse slang and not a french designer :lol:
    And the best laugh is when you see some fat scally lad/lass in a trackie and traineees (scouse for trainers laaa :lol:)
    The sights you see when you haven't got a gun 8)
    In the words of the GLC - Suicide is messy but it's money for free!!!
  • MarkEo
    Devvo's a f*ckin legend round these parts haha!