Anyone know this cyclist?

avalon
avalon Posts: 345
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
.... with the bike which was travelling in the same direction.

.....The critically ill man is white, between 30 and 50, of athletic and stocky build, with blue eyes and short, crew-style strawberry to red hair.

He has a silver hoop in his left ear and was wearing black SPD cycling shorts and cycling top.

He was riding a distinctive carbon-fibre road racing bike with the logo Scuro HCR on the frame.

A spokesman for Cumbria Police said: "We are doing everything we can to identify this man but as he was not carrying any identification and we have no matching reported missing people, we need the public's assistance.

"He is in a very critical condition in hospital at the moment and it is of utmost importance his family know where he is."

The motorbike rider and his 46-year-old pillion passenger were uninjured.

The road was closed for five hours.

Ring Cumbria Police on 0845 3300247 if you can help.

Comments

• FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    That's something to think on...i never take ID with me when i'm on a ride. I think perhaps I should, just in case.

Anyone else carry ID?
    us0.png
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    FeynmanC wrote:
    That's something to think on...i never take ID with me when i'm on a ride. I think perhaps I should, just in case.

Anyone else carry ID?

No I dont actually, its where to carry it thats the problem. But maybe i should look into it,

Tino
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Actually, I carry my phone which would give numbers of people that know me...so that's something.

If not, go all old skool retro and get your mum to sew labels into your kit :wink:
    us0.png
  • You can get identity bracelets. Personally I always carry a bankcard.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Usually have the phone, but I also have a slip of paper in the puncture kit with phone no/address etc.

Scuro in the Lakes - bet there are Loads - Ribble frame probably.......
  • nitesight
    nitesight Posts: 119
    The emergency services will check your phone so turn off the pin lock before going for a ride and ensure that you have a contact under either "home" or ICE - for those that don't know ICE is for In Case of Emergency. Not everyone lives with the person they'd want contacted and it avoids the first person being called being mum or dad by default. I know I'd want the missus called first and if need be she's be who I'd want to see before lights out.

Bank cards are all well and good but it's only a name and the enquiries with the bank would take time you may not have.

It amazes me how many people go out with NO I.D. at all and not a thought of how that could be an issue in an emergency.
  • Deadeye Duck
    Deadeye Duck Posts: 419
    Road ID, i think that's what they're called. ID bracelets in a range of colours to match your bike for the really tarty :lol:
    Schwinn Fastback Comp : FCN 5
    The Flying Scot : FCN 515q6cuv.png
    My Life, My Bike & My Xbox
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Every ride I go on I take my phone, bank card and student card. :) Think I'm sorted. Although, I'm considering buying some RoadID dog tags too, since they'd actually be on my body.

Good luck to the guy in hospital, and his black SPD cycling shorts. (:lol:)
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    FeynmanC wrote:
    Actually, I carry my phone which would give numbers of people that know me...so that's something.

If not, go all old skool retro and get your mum to sew labels into your kit :wink:

my mum's extremely unreasonable - since i moved out 24 years ago - she's refused to do any sewing for me. :evil:
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    ...I do beleive we had this some 6 months ago. A kind poster suggested I/D dog tags - military stylee, so I got some. IIRC £4.95 incl postage. Can't remember the detail - something like dogtagsuk.co.uk.
    I have my name, emerg phone, blood group, DOB.
    You get 2 tags with a long and a short chain. I keep 1 round my neck and the other on my house key that I keep in the jersey pocket...
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    If you have insurance, CTC or BC, take the card they send you and put it into your bike bag.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • jpm5555
    jpm5555 Posts: 56
    Road ID - not that cheap (20 USD), but news like this makes you think....I think they've been mentioned on this forum before which is where I got the idea in the first place as I often ride alone.

http://www.roadid.com
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    my thoughts go out to the cyclist and his family.

i bought a road id a few months ago, i wear it all week and just take it off when im not planning on riding that day (im not wearing it today but will be tomorrow). I got it because when i ride i dont like having my wallet on me, i just take a bank note (normally a fiver) and my debit card. On my road id is my name, address, dob, 3 contact numbers and that im allergic to penicillin. Worth the $19.99 that it cost.
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    I have a set of dog tags with an I.C.E (In Case of Emergency) telephone number (usually spouse or parent), name, DoB, blood group and any allergies listed is usually enough info for the medical profession to start with in this type of circumstance.

Also have the first line of my address and my postcode listed so that they can be sent back to me if I lose them

Similar idea to Road ID but cheaper (for those of us on a budget)

• symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    This is actually really scared me. Just been to http://www.dog-tags.co.uk/ and ordered a set.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • got me thinking found this

http://www.cramalert.co.uk/steve-cram.php
    Life is not a spectator sport
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I always take my phone, a credit card and most importantly my photo card driving license with me.
  • I carry a small poly bag containing cash and business card, (home address and No. on back)
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • If people are looking for a UK company selling ID products, then http://www.mysportidband.com have been recommended on tritalk.co.uk.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    edited September 2009
    I invariably have id in my panniers wallet when commuting. On road bike I carry a train photocard blue wallet in my jersey pocket containing driving license, £10 and £5 note, credit card, LCC membership card and next of kin/emergency contact details. Must add blood group details and anything other medically pertinent. The small plastic wallet is then placed inside an unused clear food bag to keep it dry. Hopefully it never gets opened in the event of an emergency. I also take a phone and camera (small) attached to the bars.

My thoughts are with this cyclist and his family if he has one and friends.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • If you take a phone with you, do as gs3 mentions - put an ICE (In Case of Emergency) phone number in it. Emergency services know about this. Put it in your phone and then make sure - insofar as is humanly possible - it never has to be used
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    If you take a phone with you, do as gs3 mentions - put an ICE (In Case of Emergency) phone number in it. Emergency services know about this. Put it in your phone and then make sure - insofar as is humanly possible - it never has to be used

Make sure you don't choose a mobile number where the mobile is more often than not SWITCHED OFF!!!
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • My Giro helmet came with a sticker to complete where your own and NOK details can be written and stuck inside.All still there and legible.Why not retrofit a DIY version :D ?!
  • deptfordmarmoset wrote:
    If you take a phone with you, do as gs3 mentions - put an ICE (In Case of Emergency) phone number in it. Emergency services know about this. Put it in your phone and then make sure - insofar as is humanly possible - it never has to be used

Make sure you don't choose a mobile number where the mobile is more often than not SWITCHED OFF!!!

Yes, a nearest's landline number. (Sorry about not having mastered the art of formatting quotes here.)
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    nick1962 wrote:
    My Giro helmet came with a sticker to complete where your own and NOK details can be written and stuck inside.All still there and legible.Why not retrofit a DIY version :D ?!

slight problem with a label being on the inside of the helmet is the fact that if you have a suspected spinal injury and are unconscious but breathing, no paramedic worth his registration will take the helmet off on scene. Also once you were in hospital they are more likely to split the helmet in order to remove it safely and thus you could lose the label

The RoadID and dogtag system are by far the better systems as they can be immediatly seen and acted upon on scene by the police. They can also be worn at any time, so even if you are involved in an incident in the street on a friday night you can be quickly identified.

Also all this stuff of a ICE number in a mobile. Think about it is a paramedic or police officer really going to bother with mucking about with a mobile phone to find a contact number in the inital aftermath, unlikely. Also what happens if your mobile becomes smashed in the incident. Kind of renders it useless.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • NGale wrote:
    Also what happens if your mobile becomes smashed in the incident. Kind of renders it useless.

+1

I had a bit of a crash last year - suprise hole removed the front of my bike while decending a hill - While I was (luckily) not badly hurt I did at some point manage a forward roll (or came down on my back) which destroyed my mobile phone; until then I'd used it as the ID and ICE informtaion carrier.

Since then I've carried a slip of laminated paper with my name, address and ICE details in the pocket of my jersey.
    FCN: 5
  • I have a tattoo of my address and partner's contact details on my forearm, in chinese style script.

I have lived in 8 places since doing this and had 3 partners. I am running out of space, what should I do?

Actually I have a RoadID tag on my shoe and on my running/cycling watch.

Pip pip
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • NGale wrote:
    nick1962 wrote:
    My Giro helmet came with a sticker to complete where your own and NOK details can be written and stuck inside.All still there and legible.Why not retrofit a DIY version :D ?!

slight problem with a label being on the inside of the helmet is the fact that if you have a suspected spinal injury and are unconscious but breathing, no paramedic worth his registration will take the helmet off on scene. Also once you were in hospital they are more likely to split the helmet in order to remove it safely and thus you could lose the label

The RoadID and dogtag system are by far the better systems as they can be immediatly seen and acted upon on scene by the police. They can also be worn at any time, so even if you are involved in an incident in the street on a friday night you can be quickly identified.

Also all this stuff of a ICE number in a mobile. Think about it is a paramedic or police officer really going to bother with mucking about with a mobile phone to find a contact number in the inital aftermath, unlikely. Also what happens if your mobile becomes smashed in the incident. Kind of renders it useless.

Get one of there - fits on the OUTSIDE of your helmet.
    http://www.beseenonabike.com/shopuk/product_info.php?cPath=1_12&products_id=359
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    FeynmanC wrote:

Anyone else carry ID?

I normally have my phone, which could be used to contact people who'd know me, but apart from that no. However, earlier this week I ordered a VitalID ID - Helmet ID, for this very purpose.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • There are some sites selling the helmet id tags slightly cheaper than that. Google "helmet id" and you get lots of choices.