Which Hub????

JAKBLADE
JAKBLADE Posts: 336
edited August 2009 in MTB buying advice
Looking at upgrading my hubs to allow me to run disc brakes and need some advice. Do I go for cup and cone or sealed cartridge type?? And do I go for Shimano centre lock/splined or the 6 bolt option for rotor mounting????Not got a huge budget so don't go recommending exotica that I can only dream of....lol....
Project Finished....On-one Inbred..
Specialized Hardrock A1 Comp FS(1999-2000)
Carrera Subway 2 (for work)
Hoffman BMX (please don't hold this one against me!!)

Comments

• stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    XT hubs always seem to pop up as a good fairly low cost option ... how much are you looking at spending ?

personally i would stick with 6 bolt IS, more choice over centrelock (i think!)
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • JAKBLADE
    Afraid it's a case of how much money I'm NOT going to spend if you get what I mean?????(read: as little as possible). Got Deore 510's in at the mo.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Cup and cones start off much cheaper.
  • stevet1992
    JAKBLADE wrote:
    Afraid it's a case of how much money I'm NOT going to spend if you get what I mean?????(read: as little as possible). Got Deore 510's in at the mo.

Do you really need to replace them ? will a service and new bearings do the job ?

Got to remember that unless you can build wheels yourself you've got to add in the cost of a wheel build ! might be cheaper to buy a new set, wooly hats do quite a few cheap sets : http://www.woollyhatshop.com/category.php?id=219

• JAKBLADE
    LBS. has offered to exchange my front hub(wheel is only couple of months old) and build my wheel back up with a m525(disc) hub for £25. But was thinking of getting a higher spec hub myself then getting lbs to do the dirty work...
  • supersonic
    Good deal from the shop. A build is often 20 quid, plus the price of new spokes.
  • stevet1992
    JAKBLADE wrote:
    LBS. has offered to exchange my front hub(wheel is only couple of months old) and build my wheel back up with a m525(disc) hub for £25. But was thinking of getting a higher spec hub myself then getting lbs to do the dirty work...

Is that including the cost of the hub ? our local shop charges that much for a wheel build down here !
    maybe have a look at some of the Xero wheelsets on wooly hats ... sealed bearings 1800g the pair and about £85

• supersonic
    Don't confuse sealed bearings with cartridge - they can be the same thing, but a sealed bearing is just any bearing that is sealed.

The ones on the Cyprus are cup and cone.
  • JAKBLADE
    Ant thoughts on the m555 hub??? I think it looks quite funky with not having spoke flanges. Are they any good?Or is it just marketing gimmick? Got them in CRC for £14.99[/url]http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=856
  • supersonic
    They are old, and weren't very good.
  • JAKBLADE
    Cheers, for info guys. Think I'm gonna see if I can sneak some money past the missus and get a Hope Pro 2.Been to the LBS toady and they can do one fitted for £60...Thanks again for the help.