Any one willing to hire me a bike box for a trip to the Alps

NorthintheSouth1
NorthintheSouth1 Posts: 5
edited July 2009 in MTB general
Chaps and chapesses,

Me and a mate are off to Les Gets at the end of August, and having spent the equivalent of Sir Fred Goodwin's bonus on new bikes, body armour and the holdiday etc (we are mere UK trail riders), we can't quite now afford to spend another £150+ on bike boxes. Not that comfortable about using the old card board box technique as we're flying with Sleazyjet and we don't trust the cowboy baggage handlers/demolition mob.

Would any kind souls be willing to hire us their bike boxs. Happy to pay a deposit and provide you with passport utility bills for id. (Based in London and Bristol).

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    try your local lbs, i konw of one in warrington who hire bike bag/cases out,..

whats wrong with a regular cardboard box, if you pack your bike right you should be ok....
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I'm in Reading and could lend mine out - its only a padded bag though and to be honest not that amazing although it seems to work.

But by and large the baggage handlers are the same guys whether sleazy or BA so I wouldn't worry too much about them.

I note that Sleazy's Terms are:

Each passenger is permitted

one standard piece of hand baggage to maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm, and
    Up to 8 pieces of checked-in hold baggage to a maximum combined weight of 20kg. A fee per kilo for excess weight is charged at the airport prior to departure

Each passenger is allowed a maximum combined hold baggage weight of 50kg including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32kg. Freight or cargo items cannot be accepted as passenger baggage.

They also say bikes should be in bags or boxes.

Make sure you brace between fork legs and rear triangle (I use a piece of copper tube cut to length and QR'd in the drops), remove the mech and suspend it in the triangle. Pipe lagging on all tubes, pipe lag on fork stantions, fold of card between brake calipers, brace leavers and wrap bars in bubble wrap, tape to down tube of frame, leave seat post in and drop to min, pad bottom of crank and round both calipers and drop outs. Dont put anything in a bike box with bike (you can probably get away with armour (can be used as padding to tubes), shoes and helmet).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.