how to walk up hills

Ollieda
Ollieda Posts: 1,010
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I just failed to climb a hill today and had to get off and walk the last bit. :( Tried walking normally and it started shredding the cleats so i ended up walking up on my heels as theres a padded bit on my shoes there.....got me thinking.

Whats the correct way to walk if wearing cycling shoes, i.e. the way that causes least damage? Surely you cant walk very far on your heels if your struggling up a big hill, or is it best not to walk and just have a rest before trying to cycle again? but that would mean a crazy hill start!

Hopefully I will soon be conquering the hills round here no problem (or just finding alternative routes!)

Comments

• pompeypoppy
    pompeypoppy Posts: 182
    If you really cant get up the hill and you dont want to ground down your cleats, can't you take off your shoes?

If it's dry of course.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    What cleats were you using?
    Never had issue with SPD.
    Diff story with SPD SL though... did a 2 ing and froing with shoes on recently getting ready to ride the bike and did notice that the cleats were getting to look tatty with that minimal bit of walking.
    So walking any distance is to be avoided at all costs.. as cleats are none too cheap.
    oh, never had to walk up a hill I'm afraid, sorry.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I walk lots in my SPD SL's I've even ran in them, lasted all this year fine.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I've got some grey look cleats. They have started to shread a small amount at the bottom (the two bottom corners). maybe just the edges will shred a bit and the rest will be fine but was just checking incase I was doing something silly!

I guess i'll just put up with it for now until im fit enough to blast up all the hills! cleeve hill here I come!!!
  • Simple answer: don't walk.

If you fail, stop by the side of the road and pretend to be adjusting something (in case anyone comes by) until you get your breath back. Then get back on and cycle a bit more. Oh and remember to do it on a flat bit 'cos clipping back in on the steep is a bugger.
  • reppohkcor
    reppohkcor Posts: 111
    Ollieda wrote:
    I've got some grey look cleats. They have started to shread a small amount at the bottom (the two bottom corners). maybe just the edges will shred a bit and the rest will be fine but was just checking incase I was doing something silly!

I guess i'll just put up with it for now until im fit enough to blast up all the hills! cleeve hill here I come!!!

Keep going!!! it's great when you know you can tackle any hill in the cotswolds 8)

Have you tried aggs hill yet? The lane that goes up to the 3 transmitters on cleeve hill.
  • Simple answer: don't walk.

If you fail, stop by the side of the road and pretend to be adjusting something (in case anyone comes by) until you get your breath back. Then get back on and cycle a bit more. Oh and remember to do it on a flat bit 'cos clipping back in on the steep is a bugger.

+1. Works great until someone actually checks up that you're OK and you're forced to admit that there is fark all wrong with the bike, it's just your legs/lungs that aren't up to the job.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    You can get cleat covers to protect the cleats when walking
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20642.

Putting them on and taking them off again is a bit of a faff. If you have to walk much you are better off with MTB pedals and shoes.

The steep hill is Bushcombe Lane, from Bishops Cleeve/Woodmancote direct up to Cleeve Hill golf club.
  • reppohkcor
    andrew_s wrote:

Putting them on and taking them off again is a bit of a faff. If you have to walk much you are better off with MTB pedals and shoes.

The steep hill is Bushcombe Lane, from Bishops Cleeve/Woodmancote direct up to Cleeve Hill golf club.

Yep bushcombe is a nice grinder, but only has an elevation gain of about 170.

Aggs hill is more of a long haul with some steep sections...Elevation gain of about 240 on that one.
  • trickeyja
    trickeyja Posts: 202
    andrew_s wrote:

Good effort, that's a great hill and probably the steepest I know within a reasonable distance of Cheltenham. I've been up there quite a few times but it never gets much easier!
    reppohkcor wrote:
    Aggs hill is more of a long haul with some steep sections...Elevation gain of about 240 on that one.

Yes, another good hill, my favourite route up into the Cotswolds is Ham Hill then Aggs Hill, but Bushcombe is definitely a lot steeper.
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Works great until someone actually checks up that you're OK and you're forced to admit that there is fark all wrong with the bike, it's just your legs/lungs that aren't up to the job.

Ahhh! The old "stopping in the middle of a large hill just to check someone else was ok" trick...
  • Least damage-put yourself to the limits..it will absoloutley cain but think about it..

you will have locked thighs and calfs...but SOLID thighs and calfs

it helps if a guys in front--making u do it like my mate..i know its off subject but i just think if i get off..its defeating the object of fitness and keeping a nice speed

alternatively head back and try a lesser encline rather than getting off
    My father's name was Antonio Andolini... and this is for you.
  • Ive yet to make it to the top of birdlip going Witcombe way.Ive tried 3 times but it always seems to get the better of me, but it wont stop me trying.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    That link is actually dead btw, 'item discontinued'...
  • reppohkcor
    Ive yet to make it to the top of birdlip going Witcombe way.Ive tried 3 times but it always seems to get the better of me, but it wont stop me trying.

What gear setup do you have?

That is the hardest climb i know of in the cotswolds. Starts off steady, gets harder,then much harder, then gets to 20+%! Harder than bushcombe lane (only just), portway upto prinknash/ cranham corner, thrupp upto bisley, painswick rd to the beacon, minchinhampton common, haresfield upto whiteshill.. Witcombe to Birdlip is the beast! :twisted:
  • Ive tried it on my Scott triple havent had the heart to try it with my new Orbea yet !The Orbea gear set up is 53/39 and 25/12.
    Maybe i should try an easier climb first. Been up cleeve on the main route from Cheltenham and did that ok.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Garz wrote:
    That link is actually dead btw, 'item discontinued'...

How's this one? :arrow: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productDetail.asp?ProductCatalogue=LOOKPEDZ210

I have a set I wear from the house to the garage where my bike is..stops cleats getting knackered on the concrete and paving :wink:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    SPD's ....
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • love2ride
    love2ride Posts: 224
    If you live in the cotswalds try the scorpion
  • natsnoz
    natsnoz Posts: 235
    reppohkcor wrote:
    Ive yet to make it to the top of birdlip going Witcombe way.Ive tried 3 times but it always seems to get the better of me, but it wont stop me trying.

What gear setup do you have?

That is the hardest climb i know of in the cotswolds. Starts off steady, gets harder,then much harder, then gets to 20+%! Harder than bushcombe lane (only just), portway upto prinknash/ cranham corner, thrupp upto bisley, painswick rd to the beacon, minchinhampton common, haresfield upto whiteshill.. Witcombe to Birdlip is the beast! :twisted:

Im doing Bushcombe lane on saturday. I have climbed all the above as well, Birdlip (witcombe) is tough because of the length of it. Bushcombe has a 10/10 rating in simon warren's new top 100 hill climb book. Haresfield and Frocester are only 5/10. This does make me anxious for Buscombe!!

Time will tell!
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    natsnoz wrote:
    Im doing Bushcombe lane on saturday. I have climbed all the above as well, Birdlip (witcombe) is tough because of the length of it. Bushcombe has a 10/10 rating in simon warren's new top 100 hill climb book. Haresfield and Frocester are only 5/10. This does make me anxious for Buscombe!!

Time will tell!

The very best of luck! Bushcombe is my local demon. I had undying admiration for anyone who can climb it. I think age/weight and gravity have done for me, but I still have a go now and then. :)

Watch out for the left-hander (reccy on Google Maps) and for traffic. It sometimes has stupidly large vehicles trying to climb or descend it (sat-nav morons, I guess :roll: ).
    Purveyor of "up" :)