Contador's off

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Despite a contract for another year with Astana, Contador says he wants out.

I'm not surprised given Vino is back. They get on well together on personal terms, having ridden together at Liberty Seguros, but the Spaniard wants out. Apparently Contador was offered €4 million net a year from Astana but Vino says he knows nothing of this, perhaps a sign of the confused communication in the team?

It'll be interesting to see who flexes their chequebook, basically Contador is saying "come and get me" and he'll take any reasonable offer. Given his dominance in the Grand Tours, he's worth a fortune, even a small team could buy him and get value in publicity terms from July alone.

Comments

• bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    No suprises there. He would have been silly to stay. Astana is going back to it's ways of old.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    He'll want to go to a Spanish team. I can't see him fitting somewhere like Garmin at all.

Astana and Discovery were basically Spanish teams and he's done his time under Saiz.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    He has said he want to go to a team that will give him 100% support. Don't think a 'small team' would have the tools to give him the kind of support he wants. Basically he wants the power of Astana, but without all the drama.

What do people think about the possible Alonso team?
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Pokerface wrote:
    What do people think about the possible Alonso team?

I'd be surprised if they can get that off the ground in time for next year. I'd have thought he'd have to go to an existing team. Caisse looks a possibility, especially if Contador can bring a few other guys in to help out.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Caisse for 2010 with Alonso And Santander taking over the PT license in 2011 when Caisse pull out.

Strava is not Zen.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
    I think he should go to Francaise des Jeux, and Gilbert will go back and they'll be a super team!!! Domestiques of the likes of Le Mevel and Casar aint bad.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    So with Vino back will Astana be banned from the Tour next year?
  • takethehighroad
    I would think so, Vino will almost certainly be un-invited.
  • pompeypoppy
    pompeypoppy Posts: 182
    Whilst I can understand that Contador wants to move teams, surely he is obliged to fullfil his contract with Astana.

I can't see them letting him go unless he pays off his contract in full. Think of the sponsorship revenue they can get for winning the TDF.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    The CONI ban means Valverde can't ride next year's Tour, so a contract for Caisse would be a nice filler while the Alonzo idea gets sorted, maybe as a co-sponsor for them.
  • iainf72
    The CONI ban means Valverde can't ride next year's Tour, so a contract for Caisse would be a nice filler while the Alonzo idea gets sorted, maybe as a co-sponsor for them.

The reason Valv.Piti couldn't ride the Tour was because it went to Italy this year.

If things remained as they are and the Tour didn't enter Italy he could ride...
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    At the moment Valverde is only banned in Italy,
    Surely it's only a matter of time before this is extended worldwide.
    If his only defence is CONI didn't have the right to use the Puerto sample then the UCI has to sort it.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Do you think ASO might be able to slip in a couple of kms of Italian road next year?
  • takethehighroad
    And with the UCI saying that CONI didn't have jurisdiction over Ricco's ban, it looks like they will say a similar thing about Valverde and extend it worldwide.

Who's to say that even if they don't ASO won't just send the Tour through Italy again?
  • iainf72
    And with the UCI saying that CONI didn't have jurisdiction over Ricco's ban, it looks like they will say a similar thing about Valverde and extend it worldwide.

That's what I'm wondering. Will they respect the CONI decision? They've had the file for quite some time now and no action has taken place.

Why respect CONI in one regard but not the other?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:

The reason Valv.Piti couldn't ride the Tour was because it went to Italy this year.

If things remained as they are and the Tour didn't enter Italy he could ride...

ASO couldn't let him ride. It would damage the Tour...no matter how big a Tour sponsor CE is.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    iainf72 wrote:
    He'll want to go to a Spanish team. I can't see him fitting somewhere like Garmin at all.

Astana and Discovery were basically Spanish teams and he's done his time under Saiz.

I disagree here -- in Europe, Garmin is rooted in Spain, AC considers CVV a good friend (per Pro Cycling), and Vaughters gets on well with him (per the Denver Post). Garmin may have the riders, organization, attitude, TTists, and money to compete.

There is a lot of pressure on Vaughters -- two fourths last two years, the success and arrogance of Columbia, and now the RadioShack vortex. It is going to take a special rider to keep Garmin from getting ignored.

I will not comment on whether AC's blood values pass the test.

Astana and Discovery were Spanish teams??? I don't follow you there. A few Spanish riders don't make them a Spanish Team. Geez, the way Phil and Paul went on for the last few years -- I thought they were the US national squad.
  • iainf72
    Bakunin wrote:
    Astana and Discovery were Spanish teams??? I don't follow you there. A few Spanish riders don't make them a Spanish Team. Geez, the way Phil and Paul went on for the last few years -- I thought they were the US national squad.

I meant they way they were run was very much like a Spanish team. After all, Bruyneel picked up a lot of things from Saiz over the years. Very organised etc, not shambolic like Italian teams for example.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    CVV and AC have good history:

JD05tdfstg1003.jpg

LIB-VandeVelde.jpg

GIRO001.jpg

But I doubt he will go to an Anglo team.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    iainf72 wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:

I meant they way they were run was very much like a Spanish team. After all, Bruyneel picked up a lot of things from Saiz over the years. Very organised etc, not shambolic like Italian teams for example.

Very true.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:

I don't know about that. He's been around and more than likely knows pretty much everyone. I would guess most of the other riders are OK people to be around. I'm thinking he's not going to pick a Spanish team just because he's Spanish. That doesn't make sense. If, as claimed, Astana has a bunch of "*ssholes" on it, what's to say some Spanish team won't have the same. Most of us "common folk" don't have the luxury
    of picking and choosing who we work for(well, to a point we do). If it was me I'd pick the team that I thought could help me win it again. And of course demand the big dollar.
  • Oh no. i agree.
    Dan
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Oh no. i agree.

With me? What the h*ll happened? Is it the END OF EVERYTHING? Or are we just in a temporary Twilight Zone?
  • One or t'other. Please make every effort to ensure it doesn't recur
    Dan
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    bikerZA wrote:
    No suprises there. He would have been silly to stay. Astana is going back to it's ways of old.

I didnt realise that it ever changed from them :roll:
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Is talk of Astana being in the 2010 peleton premature - I thought Astana were on the verge of financial collapse just prior to the Giro? Have they secured enough cash to spend huge wads of it for season 2010?
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Is talk of Astana being in the 2010 peloton premature - I thought Astana were on the verge of financial collapse just prior to the Giro? Have they secured enough cash to spend huge wads of it for season 2010?
    Will be ok now if Vino's back. After all the original Astana was built for him with Kazak sponorship :D
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,713
    Alberto was never completely without friends at Astana

swisstxt20090508_10673822_7.jpg
  • what about euskaltel? they are a spanish team without any real big names bar samuel sanchez and he didn't even ride the tour.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Bugly wrote:
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Is talk of Astana being in the 2010 peloton premature - I thought Astana were on the verge of financial collapse just prior to the Giro? Have they secured enough cash to spend huge wads of it for season 2010?
    Will be ok now if Vino's back. After all the original Astana was built for him with Kazak sponorship :D

Plus - most of the big salaries on the team will have left. The budget should be much more reasonable next year!