Am I sad?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
So while nursing a semi- over the Trek Madone 4.5 8) I realised the coolest thing about the bike was that it has an inset in one of the front forks that you can place the (Trek model) cycle computer sensor / sender into.

So by using their sensor you don't spoil the aesthetics of the bike AND keep the streamlined look.

Is it tragic I found it so great? :roll: :wink:
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• no :)

anal maybe :D
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    That is quite sad, but i like the idea too :oops:

One question, would it reduce the structural integrity of the fork to have an inset?
    us0.png
  • Kieran_Burns
    FeynmanC wrote:
    That is quite sad, but i like the idea too :oops:

One question, would it reduce the structural integrity of the fork to have an inset?

I would think it would if it was cut away but this appeared to be a 'dimple' in the fork as opposed to a section missing.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    It'd be even better if Trek made decent cycle computers. I prefer the Ant + system integrated into the rear stays on the latest frames.

Great choice of frame by the way, much better than all that poncy Italian carbon :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Kieran_Burns
    Okay Rich - just how much of that last comment was sarcasm?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited July 2009
    Rich158 wrote:
    It'd be even better if Trek made decent cycle computers. I prefer the Ant + system integrated into the rear stays on the latest frames.

Great choice of frame by the way, much better than all that poncy Italian carbon :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Your jealousy doesn't become you Rich.

Trek remind me more and more of Microsoft... :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Okay - would someone explain what you two are on about? (as in should I be considering a Trek???)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    its not sad at all. in fact because they do that, it kinda force people to get their computer for the inset or ruined the look of the bike.. :?

having the inset but nothing to fill it into, is just look bad... :shock:
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    So while nursing a semi- over the Trek Madone 4.5 8) I realised the coolest thing about the bike was that it has an inset in one of the front forks that you can place the (Trek model) cycle computer sensor / sender into.

So by using their sensor you don't spoil the aesthetics of the bike AND keep the streamlined look.

Is it tragic I found it so great? :roll: :wink:

I so wanted to say yes when I read the thread title, but truthfully what you experienced was a 'geek-on'
    Geek-on
    A moment where male-enthusiasm is so absolutely vindicated that the product delivering said vidication makes a Man somewhat sexually aroused.

We've all been there... probably wouldn't have admitted to getting a semi though...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Rich158
    Okay Rich - just how much of that last comment was sarcasm?

None whatsoever, I have a Madone 5.2 Pro and I absolutely love it. There is a bit of ribbing between IP and myself along the lines of my brash American carbon beating tarty Italian superbikes.

If you've ever read LA's it's not about the bike this comes from Lance's early days racing in Europe where he had Italian fans throwing tacks, broken glass etc in his way to stop this arrogant yank winning. I fully expect IP's Prince to do the same every time I pass him :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Rich158
    Rich158 wrote:

Your jealousy doesn't become you Rich.

Trek remind me more and more of Microsoft... :lol:

Moi :shock: jealous :roll: never :wink:

Thankfully it's not quite like windows, it doesn't decide it's going to shut down and need a complete re-build halfway through a ride :shock: Well at least not yet :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Kieran_Burns
    a 5.2 pro? <gulp> :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Rich158
    a 5.2 pro? <gulp> :shock:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It put's a smile on my face every time I ride it, which in my book is the mark of a great bike. You won't be dispointed with the 4.5, it may not be Italian carbon but you can't argue with a development programme that's won the tour at least 8 times, and it shows in the ride 8)

Revised FCN - 2
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Okay - would someone explain what you two are on about? (as in should I be considering a Trek???)
    There's nothing wrong with a Trek. I think more TdF's have now been won on them than on Pinarellos, or it might be 9 each now.

But

Getting a top of the line Trek is a bit like getting a top of the line Ford Mondeo 16v 3.0l.
    Its a great car. Lots of gadgets. Quiet. But a Ford.

Some people would prefer a mid range Alfa.
  • Rich158
    There's nothing wrong with a Trek. I think more TdF's have now been won on them than on Pinarellos, or it might be 9 each now.

But

Getting a top of the line Trek is a bit like getting a top of the line Ford Mondeo 16v 3.0l.

But how many car racing teams take their car straight off the production line from Ford like Trek do with Astana. OK it might be the 6 series but I like the fact that Astana ride pretty much the same frame you can buy over the counter, with no mods other than the paint job.

Revised FCN - 2
  • Okay - would someone explain what you two are on about? (as in should I be considering a Trek???)

But

Hang on just one second buddy boy.

Top of the Range Ford is not a blimming modeo, what about this bad boy:
    2004-ford-gt-sports-car.jpg

OK so it's not a lambo or a bugatti but its better than a mid range alpha...
  • il_principe

But

Hang on just one second buddy boy.

2004-ford-gt-sports-car.jpg

Bad example fella. Clarkson got a refund on his as it never worked!
    I then did something the man at Ford wasn’t expecting. I asked for my money back.

And that, the next day, is what happened.

They put £126,000 in my account and sent a man to pick up the car. “Is it the alarm system?” he said. “They all do that.”

So there we are. A 35-year dream. A two-year wait. Ten years of d4mn hard work. And what do I get? The most miserable month’s motoring it is possible to imagine.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    LOL, he complains about the alarm system, not the car itself though.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965

I think you are missing the point.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I find the Trek bashing quite funny. Those mandone frames are extremely nice in the flesh. If you replaced the Trek logos with something exotic and Italian sounding certain Trek haters round here would be drooling over them...

J
  • il_principe
    You say Trek bashing, I say Trek baiting. :lol:

The Madone is a stonking bike.
  • Kieran_Burns

Well I'm glad we've got THAT straight :wink:

Now I just have to get it through the CTW scheme - wish me luck on that.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I think the Madones may be the nicest shape of any of the curved carbon frames that are all the rage. They've just got "Trek" written on them :(
  • Kieran_Burns
    biondino wrote:
    I think the Madones may be the nicest shape of any of the curved carbon frames that are all the rage. They've just got "Trek" written on them :(

Hammerite.

Simples.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • il_principe

If you are seriously planning a Madone level spend then I strongly recommend you try a few different frames out before committing. I tried a Madone and it just didn't do it for me, same with the Spesh Tarmac.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I tried a Madone and it just didn't do it for me, same with the Spesh Tarmac.

ah yes, but I reckon that was because you were subconsciously influenced by the Trek logos. In a blind test it would have been different :P
    [/quote]
  • Rich158

If you are seriously planning a Madone level spend then I strongly recommend you try a few different frames out before committing. I tried a Madone and it just didn't do it for me, same with the Spesh Tarmac.

+1, it's horses for courses, every time I get on the Madone it puts a smile on my face :lol:

I loved the madone when I tested it against a Giant TCR, very similar frames but the difference in feel was amazing. However I know lots of people who prefered the ride of the Giant, and didn't get on with the Madone.

Get out and get testing, even if it doesn't change your mind you'll get to ride some great bikes :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Kieran_Burns
    Is the Madone more performance than comfort oriented? I looked at the Roubaix as well as I want performance but not at the expense of everything else...

It's a weekend 50-60 mile leisure bike I'm after
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

But if the budget is there, Alfa do this which is better than that cack handed piece of grave robbing Ford did :lol:

023364.3-lg.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......