Merlin malt 1

dodgerroger
dodgerroger Posts: 11
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi, after a break from cycling of some 5 years I have decided to take the plunge and get a new bike. I want to get a merlin malt 1 but the shop is a 4 hour drive away and i am torn between a 17" or a 19" frame I am 6' 4" tall and an inside leg of 34". Has anybody on the forum any advice and experience on this please.
Thank you

Comments

• The Hogester
    The Hogester Posts: 101
    I don't know a great deal about bike sizing, but id say you would most likeley need the 19" being 6ft 4.
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    I had a Malt 1 for about 7 years (Great bike)

I'm almost 6' and inside leg of 32"

Mine was a 17" frame and I had my post quite high. I'd say you would be top limit for a 17" frame but probably better suited to the 19". If you give them a call at Merlin they will give you good advice, they are usually a pretty helpful bunch :)
  • I spoke to merlin the other day and he was a bit vague said he would have to see me on the bike to make a judgement, which is a fair comment.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I had a test on an older Malt1, but i think the geometry has changed now. I found the 18.5 size of old too small and short and I am 6ft.

I think the 17 would be too short: I think the 19 maybe too.
  • Dont really fancy going over 19" I think I would rather put a longer stem on
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd go and try one out. They really did feel tiny to me.
  • Thanks for advice looks like a trip to merlin cycles