What Lights....

Denua
Denua Posts: 29
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Im looking for some lights for offroad single track type stuff, for now it will only be riding into dusk and early evening as i would like to be tucked up in bed by night fall :D but i would like some i can keep into the winter.

does anyone have any good recomendations without me breaking the bank?

Cheers

Dennis

Comments

• psilocybe
    psilocybe Posts: 119
    Orange 5 AM
    Giant XTC Alliance 1
    Charge Duster SS
    Unbuilt Maxlight XC3Pro
  • Denua
    Denua Posts: 29
    i should have used the search function :oops:

Cheers for the info
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    People sit there and moan about the amount of people asking what lights.

And the site will get bombarded towards winter as it always does.

Then people say check the search function that does not work that well.

It searches the content and not the title of the thread.

Why dont the mods make a light sticky ?
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Because people won't bother looking and just post up a thread instead, im awaiting the bombardment of what light threads.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    I'll give my vote to the Airbike lights. Outside of the Deal Extreme torches it offers the best lumen/£

It's actually the SL2 model I have which I bought from On One but they only appear to have the SL1 at the moment

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh ... P7#aLIABP7

I'm pretty sure I got mine for less than £100 last winter. It's a very floody light rather than a beam but the output is superb and you can switch between low/ medium/ high and a strobe setting.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Currently looking into overhauling the FAQs and stickies.

Of course if someone wants to write a light guide, with terminology, feel free ;-)
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    I got an Exposure JoyStick Maxx2 the other day (wiggle edition as it comes with both the helmet and bike mounts) and i'm really impressed with it.

Light weight, solid, weatherproof etc and very bright.

It's not cheap though (about £140) but it also functions as pretty much the best torch you'l ever own :)

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... x-2--33158
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • canada16
    supersonic wrote:
    Currently looking into overhauling the FAQs and stickies.

Of course if someone wants to write a light guide, with terminology, feel free ;-)

Be quite simple TBH

Just copy and paste off an expert site.

Then get reviews for price ranges 0-100 then 100-300 ect.

I will be happy to do tonight if you want.
  • canada16
    I know nothing about candle power and watts ect.

Maybe I will just keep my mouth shut,.... LOL
  • Dazzza
    I don't mind writing up a guide, done enough reading up on the things.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Excellent!

PM it to me, and I'll stick it somewhere, and credit to you.
  • Dazzza
    No worries, i'll send it your way soon as it's done.

Right time for some coffee first. 8)
    Giant Anthem X
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Skonk wrote:
    It's not cheap though (about £140) but it also functions as pretty much the best torch you'l ever own :)

that's actually true- the dealextreme torches for all their ridiculous power are actually pretty rotten torches :lol: Just too bright. And the low power's a bit too low, with the 2-mode.

But as far as bike lights go, ironically the dealextreme torches make better bike lights than the joystick, while the joystick is a better torch.

I see Exposure have got a P7 light coming out, which if I read right is also pretty affordable, good to see them raising their game- no question they can make a good light but they're still peddling outdated kit for premium products, like a lot of others.
    Uncompromising extremist