perhaps its time we had more than one word for mud

kangaroo
kangaroo Posts: 1,199
edited July 2009 in The Crudcatcher
it crossed my mind that whilst we have many words for the different types of rain, we have very few for mud. for instance what could you call that thin muddy layer that you get on hard paced trails that makes them more slippy than an oil spill on ice, or that thick gloopy stuff that lets your bike stand upright with no one on it.
so what do you think
what are brakes for again

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    "Sludge" covers your second one nicely I think.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • No sludge is a bit watery to hold a bike up. I think you mean "gloop".
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Cack
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    "Crud" - thin, watery mud with leaves, gravel and bits of twig in it :)
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    slop? maybe or maybe not!!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I want a special word for nearly-frozen mud, and also for liquid mud with an ice crust, so that you ride halfway across it then it breaks, and then you have to try and ride through the mud and also be an icebreaker, while also knowing that if you put your feet down they'll be straight through into the mud, which will be at exactly 0.5 degrees.

Oh, and also that weird green mud that appears sometimes at glentress, which is half mud and half pond slime.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    Northwind wrote:

Oh, and also that weird green mud that appears sometimes at glentress, which is half mud and half pond slime.

"Mulm" perhaps? :?
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    Northwind wrote:
    I want a special word for nearly-frozen mud, and also for liquid mud with an ice crust, so that you ride halfway across it then it breaks, and then you have to try and ride through the mud and also be an icebreaker, while also knowing that if you put your feet down they'll be straight through into the mud, which will be at exactly 0.5 degrees.

quote]

chocolate frosty slop

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Bit cumbersome that, but otherwise awesome :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • johnnyboy29
    johnnyboy29 Posts: 100
    Shart sounds good to me. looks like shart feels like shart just thank god it don't smell like it :D
    In the words of the GLC - Suicide is messy but it's money for free!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    schmoo sh!t
  • TomBeardsley
    TomBeardsley Posts: 150
    Crap is the stuff that holds together in clods. They wreck your ass as you bump over them and leave tonnes of weight on your tyres as the crap is so sticky. Called crap because they look a lot like dog crap....But mud coloured :lol:
    "Pain is temporary, success is permanent"