New bits - WARNING - Retro content

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited July 2009 in MTB general
These turned up today for my Kona Resto build......

Just managed to secure an original NOS LX crankset from 1990!!! Yum!

s1050444.jpg

Hopefully (funds permitting) she shall be getting a new skin next week and am in the process of getting a full set of decals mirroring the originals - watch this space!!!

8)

Comments

• Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    nice parts, I am also going to build up an old skool steel Kona one day as they look so sexy.
    I think I'll make it single speed though but with a mix of modern components & the odd retro part.
    Someone brought in an early 90's Kona to the shop I work in a couple of months back & it was gorgeous as well as being almost mint condition, it still had the original tyres & everything. Really annoyed me that he wouldn't sell it to me!!!
  • The Big Cheese
    supersonic wrote:
    Nice!

M600 Vs?

TBH Paul I am not too sure - the rear V was obtained from retrobike - I had an old XT caliper in the shed for the front but it turned out it was cracked - SO bought the front caliper from CRC for £17.99 - it nearly matches the rear - and at a good price!

I am awaiting delivery of an original Syncros quill stem (2nd hand) which should polish up nicely!!! 8)

Photo0768.jpg
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    those aren't Biopace chainrings are they? :shock:

ncie stuffs, get it built immediately, we want PICTURES! :D
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • The Big Cheese
    those aren't Biopace chainrings are they? :shock:

ncie stuffs, get it built immediately, we want PICTURES! :D

Nope, not Biopace... lol

It will be a while to be honest...

The frame can go in next week, there is a 2-3 week turnaround but the guy is sh1t-hot. He is spraying the frame gloss black and I have a set of 'custom' gold decals - very JPS! :lol:

Then I have to refit all the parts (won't take long) so am looking at around a month before she will be ready - one thing about the whole retro thing (I am a newbie to it) is that it takes time (finding parts, restoration of old parts etc)

I promise that it will look great once it's done!
  • The Big Cheese
    This is how she is looking at the moment (minus all new bits fitted - not worth it as I am stripping her down this arvo to be wet-sprayed next week! Bring on the Black and Gold!!!

Will have a whole set of decals next week, custom coloured gold..... mmmmmm 8)

s1050445.jpg

Nice and light too!!! :wink: