what would you do?

volvine
volvine Posts: 409
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
i am very tempted to sell my 2004/05 Trek Madone fitted with 105 and buy a new Boardman Pro Carbon
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_pro_carbon.html
do you think this would be a move up or down with regards to quality?.
i have been very happy with the Trek but love the look of the Boardman
:? :? :? :?

Comments

• volvine
    p.s does anyone know which factory puts the Boardman frames together????
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The Boardman has a slightly better spec but the gains are minimal. You would be better spending the money on bits for the Madone. The Madone has a better frame. For the Boardman to have that spec at that price the frame can not cost much. A nice set of light wheels and a better chainset would be my first choice. Do the rest of the group as and when you need to or have the money. You would probably only get around £500 for the Madone.
    The Boardman does look nice though but the Halfords connection would worry me.
  • volvine
    Hi John
    i have been put off immediately as i popped into the big halfords bikehut at Manchester to have a look at the bike couldn't see it when i enquired if they have one to look at they said no they only got them in if someone buys one at which time i was biting my lip asking how can you expect to sell any if you don't have one to look at was told it wasn't his dessision i laughed and left.
    will stick with my trusty Madone
  • John.T
    Good move. If you can not try them out it is no good. You need to know how it handles, you may not like it. You know and are happy with the Madone. Treat it to some goodies.
  • volvine
    any suggestions what would be a decent upgards on the wheels i currently have the Bontrager race lites on which seem quite good
  • John.T
    I will leave that to others who have tried more than I have. I have the Race Lites on my Madone and agree that they are good. At 1600gm they are a little heavy by modern standards.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    If your thinking of buying a new bike, why not buy something that's clearly better (by miles), than what you have. What that would be I have no idea. But at least you'll know you have a better bike all round and no concerns about blowing £1500/or upgrading etc?

Surely there's little point in buying a similar specced or value bike to what you have?? Or do whats been sugested, and get some new wheels or upgrade your gruppo?

More food for thought!

Zed.
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • volvine
    that's what i was asking originally zedders with the speed of things moving on these days would the frame of the boardman be better than a 2004/05 madone frame?

i am now thinking upgrade.
  • John.T
    Things have moved on somewhat. I have both a 2000 Trek 5200 frame with Ultegra 10sp and WH550 wheels and a 2008 Madone 5.2. The Madone is lighter by about 1 kilo but some of this is the kit. Both bikes are stiff and handle well but the Madone is more comfortable on poor roads with no loss of stiffness. This makes it a faster bike. Both frames are of similar cost when new. As I have both I can tell the difference but would be quite happy riding the 5200 and still do on days when the weather is not so good. The Boardman frame must come in at less than half the price of the Treks and even allowing for the Trek prices not being the hottest out there I suspect a bit of corner cutting may have taken place in the R & D department and maybe in construction.
    I would suggest that your Madone would fall between my two in weight and comfort. The geometry of them all is similar so the handling should be also and these are the best handling bikes I have ridden. I have had 66mph out of the 5200 and stayed on my tri-bars at 45mph on the Madone. If I fail to get round a corner it is down to me, not the bike.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    volvine wrote:
    that's what i was asking originally zedders with the speed of things moving on these days would the frame of the boardman be better than a 2004/05 madone frame?

i am now thinking upgrade.

Point taken. But what I said still sort of stands. Like I said I can't quote what would be an improvement on what you have, but I was more on about, getting a bike thats 2lbs lighter, with better wheels, and a better gruppo then what you have now? Then you really would see the difference in the ride? ie - what I did. alu to carbon. 20lb bike to a 16.5lb bike. aksiums to zonda etc. (clearly a better bike).

I don't want to get into the Boardman / Halford / quality / service debate, (as am sure your aware its been well documented on this forum previously) but your original Q was about a better ''quality'' bike? Would a Boardman be better ''quality'' ?
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • volvine
    Agreed Zedders
    i have made my mind up now i will be upgrading possably dura ace groupset any recomendations on the wheels below £500 that would be an improvement on my existing ones?
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    I agree with everybody else, upgrade the Madone, you don't have to shell it out all at once, wheels first easiest to replace. All depends on what you use the bike for, training? racing? or just leisure like me.
    Wouldn't swap mine for anything
    Justice for the 96
  • volvine
    used mainly for leisure/training more for leisure though
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    volvine wrote:
    anyone suggest wheel upgrade ?????

What's your budget?
    Justice for the 96