Sauce for chips

takethehighroad
takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
edited August 2009 in The bottom bracket
What sauce do you like with your chips?

I'm talking proper friterie chips from Belgium and the North of France here, or at the very least french fries.

I love mayo, but there's also a sauce that I've tried that's called "Americaine" in French and I've no idea what's in it but it's nice!!!

P.S. I hope the poll has added on this, if it hasn't I shall have to try again!

Comments

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Mayo all the way for me, love the stuff, so.....er.....yeh, mayo!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • matt581
    matt581 Posts: 219
    I'm a massive fan of HP sauce.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Mayo? On chips :shock: Eff me, whatever next? Tomato sauce usually or if Im having a Snake and Pygmy pie then its Daddies all the way, HP can take a running jump after sacking their British Workers and moving production to Holland. Its British Empire sauce and should oh dont get me started. Anyway, mayo indeed. What happens if you have no mayo, would you have salad cream :o ?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    if its local chippy chips....then its chipy brown sauce (the stuff they make by adding a ton of vinegar to cheap cash and carry brown sauce...), although this may be a scottish thing....

on those skinny chips....I like mayo or hollandaise,
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • robmanic1
    Mayo? On chips :shock: Eff me, whatever next? Tomato sauce usually or if Im having a Snake and Pygmy pie then its Daddies all the way, HP can take a running jump after sacking their British Workers and moving production to Holland. Its British Empire sauce and should oh dont get me started. Anyway, mayo indeed. What happens if you have no mayo, would you have salad cream :o ?

SALAD CREAM IS FOR GUNNERS and comunists.

Vincent: "But you know what they put on French fries in Holland instead of ketchup?”
    Jules: “What?”
    Vincent: “Mayonnaise.”
    Jules: “Goddamn!”
    Vincent: “I seen 'em do it man. They drown them in that shit."
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

• -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    cee wrote:
    if its local chippy chips....then its chipy brown sauce (the stuff they make by adding a ton of vinegar to cheap cash and carry brown sauce...), although this may be a scottish thing....

It's not even a Scottish thing - it seems to be an East Coast thing. I have often wondered where salt and vinegar ends and salt and sauce starts.

Perhaps we should set up bike ride to visit chippies along the Glasgow to Edinburgh route to where the change takes place. I know that Airdrie has salt and vinegar and Bathgate has salt and sauce so the 'changeover area must be around Blackridge - but it doesn't have a chippy.

-Spider-
  • Stewie Griffin
    Robmanic1 wrote:

SALAD CREAM IS FOR GUNNERS and comunists.

Vincent: "But you know what they put on French fries in Holland instead of ketchup?”
    Jules: “What?”
    Vincent: “Mayonnaise.”
    Jules: “Goddamn!”
    Vincent: “I seen 'em do it man. They drown them in that shoot."

Salad Cream is indeed Pinko food :!: Readily eaten by the Plumstead Bummers I hear too.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    It's usually Mayo but sometimes I feel dirty and have ketchup instead.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Curry sauce.

Nothing better at 2am than curry sauce and chips.
    Except perhaps more beer.
    Both are good.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Go to Gt Yarmouth market boys and girls, nearly a dozen chip wagons all selling great chips(locals have their own favorite one). All with various sauces, garlic mayo being my favorite.
  • Porgy
    markos1963 wrote:
    Go to Gt Yarmouth market boys and girls, nearly a dozen chip wagons all selling great chips(locals have their own favorite one)..

hee hee - isn't life exciting out in the sticks? :lol:
  • markyboy2005
    markyboy2005 Posts: 465
    In Falkirk they ask if you want Brown Sauce or Vinegar......that must be the dividing line right there.....

-spider- wrote:
    cee wrote:

It's not even a Scottish thing - it seems to be an East Coast thing. I have often wondered where salt and vinegar ends and salt and sauce starts.

Perhaps we should set up bike ride to visit chippies along the Glasgow to Edinburgh route to where the change takes place. I know that Airdrie has salt and vinegar and Bathgate has salt and sauce so the 'changeover area must be around Blackridge - but it doesn't have a chippy.
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    Lidl's hot spicy ketchup :)
  • Mayonnaise?

On chips?

Sickos...
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Brown sauce all the way for me on my chinese chips :P
  • Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    I'm on my own with Garlic Mayo then. Oh well, all the more for me. :D
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I bought some hot sauce the other day called(no kidding) "Slap Your Mama" hot sauce.
    It was so hot I almost did. Damn them habaneros.

Not sure if any of that applies here, but that's what happened.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    I go for a mixture, nothing like a bit of tartar and ketchup to go with the salt and vinegar!
    I love lots of flavours in all my food though :D
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Didn't the OP try and bring some cosmopolitan atmosphere to this post by saying it ONLY applies to FRITES ie those thin potato frites you get in Holland and Belgium where the usual accompaniament is Mayo or sauce??

Not fish and chip shop chips!
  • Porgy
    I never go to Belgium, and when I go to the Netherlands I'm far too busy to buy frites!!
  • drummondjhn
    drummondjhn Posts: 175
    Jake151 wrote:
    Reggae Reggae all the way ;)

reggae sauce fae Aldi so so so good :o:o:o:o
    Life is not a spectator sport
  • takethehighroad
    Didn't the OP try and bring some cosmopolitan atmosphere to this post by saying it ONLY applies to FRITES ie those thin potato frites you get in Holland and Belgium where the usual accompaniament is Mayo or sauce??

Yeah I aint talkin bout fish and chip shop chips. That's just plain salt, vinegar and gravy. I'm talkin bout a proper friterie's chips, or at the very least the type of chips you get from McDonalds.

In France you get a sauce called "chip sauce" which should be avoided at ALL costs.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Didn't the OP try and bring some cosmopolitan atmosphere to this post by saying it ONLY applies to FRITES ie those thin potato frites you get in Holland and Belgium where the usual accompaniament is Mayo or sauce??

Yeah I aint talkin bout fish and chip shop chips. That's just plain salt, vinegar and gravy. I'm talkin bout a proper friterie's chips, or at the very least the type of chips you get from McDonalds.

In France you get a sauce called "chip sauce" which should be avoided at ALL costs.

:shock: Gravy? On chips? Do my eyes deceive me? WTF? Furthermore, I will have you know that "proper chips" come from a Chippie.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
  • Didn't the OP try and bring some cosmopolitan atmosphere to this post by saying it ONLY applies to FRITES ie those thin potato frites you get in Holland and Belgium where the usual accompaniament is Mayo or sauce??

Your a bloody chip snob :shock:

Theres nowt wrong with having mayo on proper chippy chips plus chippy chips are ten times better than those bloody grease laden unhealthy euro wannabies.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?

:shock: Gravy? On chips? Do my eyes deceive me? WTF? Furthermore, I will have you know that "proper chips" come from a Chippie.

Chips and gravy is bloody lovely and its not non of that bisto/oxo crap either. The chippy's around here all have their own unique gravy taste. Even better than chips and gravy is chips peas and gravy with a nice buttered muffin mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm think i'll go the chippy for lunch :D
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've not had belgian chips for since I was 16 so I'm fairly sure back then I would have had ketchup or nowt.

Chippy chips are best with a. Curry Sauce b. Gravy or c. a tin of tesco's Irish Stew.

I recently discovered putting ketchup on chippy chips makes them taste like crap. I thought they were just bad chips for ages! :roll:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • takethehighroad
    jswba wrote:

+1.

Northern boys love gravy.

And Fungus, I'm a conoiseur. If only the French had a wrod for it!!!
  • Stewie Griffin
    jswba wrote:

+1.

And Fungus, I'm a conoiseur. If only the French had a wrod for it!!!

I always thought I was missing the joke with that. But, you really do put gravy on your chips. I must try this regional delicacy next time I venture North of Watford. Peas too you say, would they be of the pre masticated and mushy variety?
  • robmanic1

'as thee nowt moist?

We'll send you a flat cap for the journey north........lad.