Winter hack -DIY

AGNI
AGNI Posts: 140
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Been looking around for a winter hack and kinda set my heart on a cyclocross. I can do the country lanes, bit of commuting when I fancy and also take it over cannock chase for a blast.

I like the look of the Ridley Crossbow http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/cyclo-cross/product/crossbow-09-33264 Pretty reasonable at £699 new. I am looking for a used one but have had little success.

I have managed to find on ebay a frameset http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DORA-THE-EXPLORER-3-WHEELED-SCOOTER-BIKE-NEW-BOXED_W0QQitemZ350179365609QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Toys_Games_TV_Film_Character_Toys_ET?hash=item51885112e9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Question 1) What would be a reasonable price for a frame like this?
Question 2) Am I foolish in buying a frame and building the bike up myself considering I have no experience in maintaining bikes? I thought it may be a good way to learn
Question 3) Will it work out more expensive this way? Am I better off waiting for a full bike to come along?
Question 4) Am I a burk for advertising this frame to other members who may now bid on it?

Any help greatly appreciated
Still suffering with wind

Comments

• Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    AGNI wrote:
    Question 1) What would be a reasonable price for a frame like this?
    I guess you should cost up all the other components that you'll put on it. If it comes in less than a complete new bike then you need to make a call as to whether that saving is sufficient to reflect the fact the frameset's used.
    AGNI wrote:
    Question 2) Am I foolish in buying a frame and building the bike up myself considering I have no experience in maintaining bikes? I thought it may be a good way to learn
    Not foolish at all. It's the best way to learn and it's hardly rocket science. It's exactly how I learned. Get a copy of Zinn and look around the Park Tool website. If you can build it, I reckon it holds you in good stead to mend it if it goes wrong later. Invaluable experience IMO and the sense of satisfaction is immense.
    AGNI wrote:
    Question 3) Will it work out more expensive this way? Am I better off waiting for a full bike to come along?
    Possibly more expensive, you really need to shop around for well-priced components to make it work economically. However, remember to factor in the learning experience as well - I'd put a high value on that.
    AGNI wrote:
    Question 4) Am I a burk for advertising this frame to other members who may now bid on it?
    Probably! Look out for any familiar names amongst the bidders!
  • AGNI
    Cheers for that.

I think i have got quite a bit to learn. Will be a good learning curve I guess. I have edited the link to avoid undue competition :lol:
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Q1 I haven't a clue so I can't really answer!

Q2&3: I built my bike up from scratch without knowing anything really when I started. I've learned loads and would fully recommend it to anyone. You'll make mistakes and end up having to go to the LBS or posting on here for help but its all worth it.

As for price, most people will tell you its more expensive to build as opposed to buy. But i've now got a bike im happy with for about £350. There are some odd things I would like to upgrade when I get more money, but as a first bike its fine for now as I'm not in desperate need of all the top components quite yet! I'm thinking its going to end up costing about £600 for a bike I'm really happy with.

Q4: probably, you just have to hope everyone on here is kind and lets you take your find...
  • AGNI
    I am pretty much convinced that self build will be the route I will go. Will gain some experience and also get a special bond with the bike.

Thanks for the tips

Now....time to do a bit of reading up :D
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
  • AGNI
    doog442 wrote:

The original post did link direct to the frame I am bidding on. I later edited the link to avoid any undue competition. :lol:

Unfortunately there is a lot of interest in it already so it might go for a bit more than I was hoping to pay (not the dora scooter BTW)