Garmin 705 - first results, thoughts please

oxford
oxford Posts: 34
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

Been road cycling for about a year now, totally addicted but that is indeed another whole story.

I have got a fairly decent road bike and purchased a garmin 705 last week, what an awesome bit of kit that is!

For you more experienced riders I just wanted to share with you a couple of rides (one of which today I got stung by a wasp in my mouth 5 miles into the ride, not nice!).

Be great to hear your thoughts on speed/elevation and cadance, it is all a bit new to me, plus the heartrate!

Monday : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/9977228

Today : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10129339

Comments

• markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Looks good to me... very similar stats as I get, the average speed of 18 miles an hour is about what I have seen on rides (mainly commutes so far with the garmin) and the heart rate average/ max is exactly the same as mine.

What's your age/ base level of fitness?

I am 43 and the average heart rate should apparently be somewhere between 120-150ish and max should be around the 187 for my age with vigorous exercise (and my cycling is certainly vigourous as is my peddling!!) ... there are lots of web based max and average calculators, they use a base mark heart rate and then deduct a number based on your age I believe to get these suggested figures. see http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/bl_THR.htm

The cadence is good too, I try to average about 80.

The above figures are based on my use of Garmin so far- I haven't been using it that long, and my levels of fitness are on the rise still...

I am to improve my average speed above 18mph - and this has happened this week mainly due to less traffic stops (lights, islands, junctions, side roads with no look pullouts!) without the school kids drop off traffic because of school holidays (in my day I walked to school everyday of my life come rain or shine... never dropped off at the gates in parents 4x4 chelsea tractors but that's another thread altogether!!- I wonder what percentage of morning rush hour traffic is school drop off, as the roads are considerably quieter at the moment)

It would be interesting to see what hardened long time users of garmins think to your figures, as their feedback would also apply to my efforts too Oxford.

:D
  • oxford
    Thanks for the reply.

I am 28 years old, I train for football twice a week and have only been road cycling for a year off and on, only been ramping up the miles for the last few months. Would I say I am fit? Ish ! Getting there but from a cycling point of view I do seem some way off!

You being 43 with the sane stats is very impressive, are you pretty fit then?

As you say it would be good to hear others thoughts.

I did get a guy who does tt's to look at it and said I need to get my cadance up a little, not sure my choice of gears are just right yet.
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    can i ask are these Garmin computers easy to use and download the information as i am interested in purchasing one would be interested to know the details of my rides ect ?
  • oxford
    Very easy to use indeed, simple start/stop button + lap. Fully customisAble fields to display, mode dips between elevation graph, map and stats.

Cadance sensor takes a little installing but nothing too bad! They are all wireless so connects instatly. The online analysis us superb, just press upload when the unit is plugged to the USB port and it updates your latest ride. You can see how impressive the analysis is.....
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    which model would you recomend what does the basic model do ect how much?
  • oxford
    I have the 705 with heart rate monitor and cadance sensor, only owned that so cannot offer much advice on the alternatives. What I do know is that it is expensive but so so worththe money....
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    volvine wrote:
    which model would you recomend what does the basic model do ect how much?

I posted a review recently about the Edge 205 (the entry level model) on Wiggle's website that should give you some of the info you are after.