Flat Bar Road Bike

Wazza99
Wazza99 Posts: 15
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Hello Guys and Gals, new to the site, and was after some advice please. I have been considering buying a Giant FCR 2 2009, however, they are in short supply as the 2010 models are arriving very soon. I have heard that the 2010 models are more expensive, and not quite as good spec wise.
Does anyone have any suggestions with regards alternatives, as i really liked the look of the FCR range.
Thanks
Wazza

Comments

• desperate73
    desperate73 Posts: 135
    beginner here also. Just bought my 1st but can share..

I was looking at the Claud Butler Levante (srp£450) which can be had atm for £350. It's got nice ally frame, carbon forks etc.. Rode one and liked it but preferred the drop bars of the Milano.

I also liked the one at Halfords for the money also
    Account requested to be deleted
  • I am not sure I buy this about the "2010 models being more expensive and lower specced". If you look at the dollar/pound exchange rates for the last 6 months, sterling has come back a lot. http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/GBP/graph120.html It's not like shops trying to clear their 2009 stock have any incentive to make you buy now.

Also, flat bars ... hmm. Drops give a lot more different positions and if you get the height and stem length correct should be comfortable.
  • desperate73
    desperate73 Posts: 135
    According to my lbs the cost of bikes are artificially low and are to play catch up with where they should be - his opinon, not sure i agree. . Match this with raising materials costs especially aluminium and the pound is still a mess relatively (i agree with that)
    Account requested to be deleted
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I'm going to recommend the Scott Speedster S30 Flat Bar because I've got one.

Marvelous machine.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    According to my lbs the cost of bikes are artificially low and are to play catch up with where they should be - his opinon, not sure i agree. . Match this with raising materials costs especially aluminium and the pound is still a mess relatively (i agree with that)

Heard that from a lot of guys in the trade...
  • I'm not saying they're making it up, but in the last 6 months, the £ has gone from $1.40 to almost $1.70 and in the last year, the price of aluminium has gone from $1.35/lb to $0.80/lb.

Plus a different guy in a different lbs told me that the Specialized Roubaix they had run out of in the 2009 would be just as good value if I waited for them to get the 2010 in.
  • timb64
    timb64 Posts: 248
    I've had a Giant FCR C(2008) just over a year now and been very pleased with it.Do regular rides with a mate who does triathalons and have no problem keeping up with him on 30 mile+ trips.I don't think flat bars with bar ends offer any less positions than drops.
  • gnashers
    gnashers Posts: 27
    I have an FCR not sure what model but its a 2005 that had a RRP of £550, I bought it new in 2006 and paid less than £400 for it.
    It's a great bike with sram shifters and rear mech which i find to be very reliable and precise.
    Its quite light and feels good on the hills.

I would recommend an FCR!
  • Wazza99
    Wazza99 Posts: 15
    Thanks for all the comments guys,

I spoke with my LBS and the main Giant dealer, the guy in the lbs said the new 2010 version/model wont have a composite fork, and that together with the price increase has made me reconsider.

Something very similar to the FCR would be great, but i may have to wait until the launch of various 2010 models to judge!