Grimpeurs des Wolds Sportive - East Yorkshire 25th July

craigwend
craigwend Posts: 321
http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/cyclosportive

Big G – Grimpeurs des Wolds Cyclosportive. The event is part of a weekend of top quality cycling being promoted by Hull Thursday Road Club over the weekend of 24th to 26th July 2009. The event is based in Historic market town of Beverley and travels northwards onto the beautiful rolling countryside and steep climbs of the Yorkshire Wolds.
Three fully signposted routes are available 160 Km, 100 Km or 60 Km. All 3 routes have been chosen to take you through some of the best roads in this relatively undiscovered part of Yorkshire and feature stunning views of the surrounding valleys and vales, On a clear day both the Yorkshire Dales and North Yorkshire Moors are clearly visible from the numerous high points of the route.

Hull Thursday Road Club has been promoting cycle racing for 100 years and have recently organised the National Road Race championship, numerous premier calendar road races and the national circuit race championship in 2008 and will be organising the event again this year. This event has been organised by the same organisational team and so you can be assured of a first class event

Why not take the opportunity to make a weekend of it and come and watch the spectacular National criterium championship on Friday evening on the tight and cobbled circuit around Beverley town centre or the East Riding Classic Premier Calendar Road Race on Sunday also starting and finishing in Beverley and utilising the same HQ. Plenty of quality accommodation is available nearby.

We have a limit of 500 riders on a first come first served basis. All entrants must be 18 or over on the day of the event, Saturday 25th July 2009

The entry fee for both events is £20, this includes registration, souvenir t-shirt, 2 feed stations and after ride hot food and refreshments.

Full route details and profiles can be downloaded from the website at a later date

Start Times are available from 7.30 to 9.30 am (maximum group size 20 riders)

We look forward to seeing you all on the 25th July

For information or to register your interest please e.mail big.g.sportive@googlemail.com

Comments

• copper585
    copper585 Posts: 141
    can thoroughly recommend this ride, i did the 100km ride and it was tough, glad never did the 100 miler!! well organised, well signposted, good stocks at feed points and hot food at the end, also got a t shirt and water bottle, good value and excellent facilities.will miss this year as on honeymoon, not happy was shifted from august!!
  • craigwend
    I've signed up to do the 100K, with my level of fitness good job i didn't go for the 100mile!

Should be a good day :)
    There's always www.cyclechat.co.uk
  • neil3072
    neil3072 Posts: 24
    just how difficult is the last climb of the day at Nunburnholme?
    winter sprinte
    brian robinson chalenge
    licoln grand prix
    le terrier
    gybr
    bill bradley memorail
    cross pennine 100
    york 100

Focus Variado 2010 Expert Triple
    Pinnacle Sentinel 1.0
  • craigwend
    http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/C ... vation.pdf

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2#15430182

I think I 've done it (or part of it) on the way to York, seemed to go for a long while...
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    neil3072 wrote:
    just how difficult is the last climb of the day at Nunburnholme?

It's a bit of a drag, that's all.
  • craigwend
    Just a reminder

350 confirmed entries received.

The entry limit is 500 riders

Closing date for entries is 11/7/2009 or when the entry limit is reached whichever occurs soonest. There will be no entry available after the closing date or on the day
  • craigwend
    Is looking good for the whole weekends' events...

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.u ... ticle.html
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    forecast sun and light wind alld ay saturday. should be good.

how does an entry limit of 500 compare to other events?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Hills? Oh my aching legs. :oops:
    Good day tho, thoughourly enjoyed it! :wink:
  • neil3072
    first class sportive- well organised, well signposted and excellent feed stations and post-ride food.
    Who said Nunburnholme was just a drag - ouch
    Looking forward to more of the same next year
    winter sprinte
    brian robinson chalenge
    licoln grand prix
    le terrier
    gybr
    bill bradley memorail
    cross pennine 100
    york 100

Focus Variado 2010 Expert Triple
    Pinnacle Sentinel 1.0
  • holmeboy
    Right, went off the 160k route a bit and followed the A166 out of Stamford Bridge ( :oops: heading East) instead of turning off onto minor road (think i missed the arrow because of the amount of Traffic in Town). Anyway went up a fecking steep hill, think it's named Garrowby Hill on google maps, and for the first time in a while did't think I was going to make it up, very close to getting off. The road looked a bit busy for a normal cycle route but do any of you locals know of it and what do you think? Was definitely the hardest climb of the day, reckon I might recommend it for the Post "Hardest Hill".
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    holmeboy wrote:
    Right, went off the 160k route a bit and followed the A166 out of Stamford Bridge ( :oops: heading East) instead of turning off onto minor road (think i missed the arrow because of the amount of Traffic in Town). Anyway went up a fecking steep hill, think it's named Garrowby Hill on google maps, and for the first time in a while did't think I was going to make it up, very close to getting off. The road looked a bit busy for a normal cycle route but do any of you locals know of it and what do you think? Was definitely the hardest climb of the day, reckon I might recommend it for the Post "Hardest Hill".

That indeed is Garrowby. The scary traffic going up and down there usually takes your mind off the gradient, it's a notorious accident spot.

In terms of severity however, it is a mere pimple compared to the hills a little further north/west in the moors,
  • holmeboy
    Yorkman wrote:
    holmeboy wrote:

That indeed is Garrowby. The scary traffic going up and down there usually takes your mind off the gradient, it's a notorious accident spot.

In terms of severity however, it is a mere pimple compared to the hills a little further north/west in the moors,

Glad I was'nt North/West of it then. Jeez you Yorkshiremen must be a tough bunch! The Gradients and lengths of most of the climbs on the day were steeper/longer than what's round here (East Lothian). :D
  • craigwend
    My first sportive...

I got a bronze (time) 05:16

However a 'ride time' of 4 hours & forty minutes, though the few stops here & there probably added up to the 5 hours something amusing

Did manage a top speed on one of the many lovely descents of 40.7mph, though i'm guessing I may have gone up the last big hill (nunburnholme) at less thana tenth of that and for the first time (on the ride & in real use) I used the inner ring of my tripple!

Absolutely fantastic organisation and route, thigh & lung busting hills with beautiful yorkshire scenery. well sign posted, good venue, great day (& weather), good riding buddies & start & finish companions.

Other riders friendly and generally fast

Nice t-shirt & bottle at the end with much appreciated good grub bolted down with enthusiasm by me

Looking forward to next year! :D

Ooh my aching body...
    :oops:
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    did anyone else do the 160k route and emasure the distance? me and my 3 mates all came up with 96miles for it.

did it in 6:17 which was extremely suprised with given the 6:54 i did in the far easier northern rock cyclone in june
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Thanks very much to Paul Kilvington and his dedicated team of volunteers for a faultless event from my point of view. The intro of stencilled route confirmation on the roads really helped and should be adopted by all sportive organisers, although I've never got lost in the 4 I've done.

Enjoyed the 160km route as it wasn't too punishing. The hill at Hanging Grimston and the leg-breakers up to the tower and Givendale were testing but not impossible. Nunburnholme ALMOST had me off and walking though - if it wasn't for Jim the photographer at the top I might just have.

Feeds were good - savouries as well as sweet stuff, and the freebies at the end were a nice touch, especially the food which I'd looked forward to but couldn't get down!

Ended up with a silver 6hr 37min which I was chuffed with, and thanks to CumbrianMan (riding buddy) and Guymer and MacLachlan for the pulls at the end!

Can't wait for next year - might train for hills and go for GOLD!
    You don't get big legs sitting and watching television.
  • CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Gotta back up what East Riding says - well done to Paul and his team.

I took back up maps with me, after someone removed the signs on the DLMC, but was pleased to say that I never needed them, which is a good job, as I had no idea where I was !

It's the first time I've cycled in the Wolds, and what a pleasant surprise it was too.

The food at the stops was plentiful (savoury wraps - how good is that !) and varied, and what I really noticed was how pleasant all the helpers were. Chapeau to you all.

I too struggled to get the pie and chips down at the end, but that was probably due to us battering the last 15 mile or so !

And the freebies were good as well. T-shirt is a decent colour, and a new bottle is always welcome.

So ER, I'll be up for it again next year, and we'll try and get that Gold !! Oh, and the Alps won't be the same without ya this year !! :(
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • neil3072
    is there any where we can buy the pics?
    winter sprinte
    brian robinson chalenge
    licoln grand prix
    le terrier
    gybr
    bill bradley memorail
    cross pennine 100