Trail / Fell runners

Mr Wu
Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
edited August 2009 in The Crudcatcher
I'm competing in the tough guy event next year and need some decent trail/fell running shoes. Considering the salomon speedcross 2 and the inov-8 mudclaw 330's.

Anyone done the above event? Or reccomend any decent grippy shoes

ta

:-)[/list]

Comments

• Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    I just completed the Tough Guy 'Nettle Warrior' just last week - AWESOME!

Don't know much about fell running shoes, sorry. But you'll need to comfortably run 3 hours. Over mental terrain. Reason being, as the bloody obstacles are insane... They'll REALLY take it out of ya!

Just make sure they aren't too spiky. And the have to be rubber, NOT metal. Otherwise you'll get disqualified... Bad times.

Weight training will help too - legs in particular.

Now you've been warned! :lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Mr Wu
    Did u do the fields on fire thing?
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I'm a Salomon xa pro 3d ultra junkie, have been for years, use them for everything including mtbing. Brilliant comfort, brilliant lacing design, brilliant breathability. Downside is the soles can wear quickly (no surprise in my case though) - so with that in mind if use the speedcross 2s for their intended purpose (like don't go road runnin' every other night) and stick to that, the soles will last you and do the job.
  • Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    I run in THESE. I used to have a few support issues with other running shoes, but i've been fine since using these. They were fantastic in snow, ice and mud in the winter over here too. I can't comment on Salomon's, but i've not heard of anyone having problems with them.
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • Mr Wu
    Nice one BP, all my training will be on hill/fields etc, I've got some road shoes for anything else.

I do prefer the salomons purley on support and comfort but the mudclaws have very deep grip.

Think I'll go with the salomons as originally thought.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    just don't bugger the lacing system up because I haven't a clue how you'd fix it or the cost of replacement. :lol:
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Like bikes, It's a good thing to go and try a few pairs ona nd see what works.

For fell i've got a pair of Walshes, they are very good for grassy climbs/descents and shallow mud. They do come unstuck in thick mud [cack for lap based xc events] and don't offer much grip on rocks. The support is also limited, and the material thin; to such an extent i'd actualy call them socks with grip. I find them comfy though.

Most of my running mates have the inov8 mudclaw for fell, you get better support around the ankle and the grip is much more suited to all environments, which makes them a brilliant all round fell shoe. The only issue my mates find with them [and that i find with my rocklite trail shoes] is that the material can become worn at the back of the heel, which can cause really bad blistering on your heel.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I do a fair bit of trail/fell running and race a lot - I use Mudclaws for when it's wet and Asics Trail Sensor 2s for when it's drier - both are excellemt. The Mudclaws let you get away with all sorts in muddy stuff - gives a proper advantage over those without them.

Take some time to get used to them though - very little padding and so usually blister you heels up until they are broken in.
  • Mr Wu
    Matt - Do you wear shorts or tights when running, im thinking of wearing the latter.

thoughts?