Pleased with myself!

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
I am.

I have managed, during the wind and rain, to change the handlebars on my fixie. This involved pretty much completely disassembling the brake levers, in order to loosen the brackety thing holding them on to the bars. Why they don't make it so you can do that without almost completely removing the lever bit from the hood bit, I don't know, but it's done and they work!

I even reused my bar tape!

Yay me! :D

Comments

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Erm.....good work there, nicely done, could you break it down a little though, difficult to understand with all that "tech-speak"? (wink-wink)
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Make sure you test them properly - the brakes in particular - before shooting off down any hills! (my colleague's girlfriend has spinal injuries after discovering that youths unknown had disconnected both her brakes while descending a steep hill, miraculously avoiding traffic on a crossroads and ploughing into - and breaking! - some cast iron railings.
  • lost_in_thought
    biondino wrote:
    Make sure you test them properly - the brakes in particular - before shooting off down any hills! (my colleague's girlfriend has spinal injuries after discovering that youths unknown had disconnected both her brakes while descending a steep hill, miraculously avoiding traffic on a crossroads and ploughing into - and breaking! - some cast iron railings.

Bloody hell... :shock:

But yes, I have tested them, and they seem to work just fine. The FSA ones are a much better fit - thanks - and have yet again shortened my reach! Hurrah!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    If you took the stem or headset off make sure your preload is set correctly too loose and it will wobble like jelly on descent to right and your steering will be springy.

Brakes are for girls :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Top job !

In a similar fit of enthusiasm I have fitted a new rear derailleur to the commuter, replaced the cable and outer, indexed the gears and refitted the lovely, lovely SKS Chromoplastic mudguards :)

Bring it on, British Summer !
    Misguided Idealist
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Just thought of your new career.

A cycle mechanic :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    ........... or a cycle trainer (wimmin of all ages who might appreciate confidence boosting)?

Just a thought.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Picture the scene, LiT and her first student set off from the pavement with the immortal words from LiT, just follow me and see how I ride. Within 1/2 mile LiT spies a possible scalp and is off on the chase leaving the unconfident student either chasing LiT down the road or a gibbering wreck in the gutter :)
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Cafewanda
    :lol::lol: That could be a problem.......... UNLESS LiT plans her lesson to commence after she's either done a long bike ride or it's the morning after a wonderful night before. Sorted!
  • lost_in_thought
    Cafewanda wrote:
    ........... or a cycle trainer (wimmin of all ages who might appreciate confidence boosting)?

Just a thought.

Good thought! I like it!
  • lost_in_thought
    itboffin wrote:
    If you took the stem or headset off make sure your preload is set correctly too loose and it will wobble like jelly on descent to right and your steering will be springy.

Brakes are for girls :P

What's a preload?

I am a girl. Nyerrrrrrrrrrrr. :P
  • Cafewanda
    LiT, you could contact any of the cycle training orgs to see if they would suit you. Many have links with local councils who subsidise training for residents or people who work in the borough.

Or you could set up on your own..................... maybe rope in other wimmin cyclists, offering maintenance classes, hints and tips for dealing with the occasional overbearing male shop assistant.

(You've got to reduce your 6 month ironing pile first though) :lol:

I'm wasted in my current job. I should set myself up as some sort of 'consultant' :)
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Cafewanda wrote:

Just a thought.

Good thought! I like it!
    What about setting up a bike tours/training camp type operation? :)
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    bicycle_repair_man.jpg