2012 Olympics RR

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Seems the UCIwant Londres to be like Beijing and hold it outside of London.

Ok, in China it was near the great Wall but where could you put it in London? Or near London? Hmmmm.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    PSML at the implication that outside London = "out in the sticks." Do they even have roads outside London yet?
  • iainf72
    Yeah, but a loop around Croydon is hardly interesting, is it? If you want the sights and all that you need to do it inside London.
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Would be nice if Coe and his cronies actually followed through on their promises of the Olympics actually benefiting the whole of the UK.

Their decision not to hold the MTB in one of the fantastic facilities which already exist is testament to the fact that they want everything in/close to London.

Would be a whole lot better if the Road Race incorporated some proper terrain. Having said that, are we back again to local authorities/police forces' willingness to allow such an event. Surely, it would be different with an Olympic event to a relatively small race?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    How do you find these stories Iain? I can't say the "Ham&High" is high on my radar as far as cycling news...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Iain doesn't find these stories, rather they find him.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I think cannock chase would be a great location, there would be a good uphill finish right by my house :)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Absolutely they should put it outside London. May I suggest near Manchester!? Then I could easily go see it. Plus there are lots of great hills around here that would make it challenging.

Isn't it somewhat flat near London? (I'm asking as I don't know....)
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I'd have thought London would be perfect. Nice and flat so Cav can win.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • andyp
    Iain may jest about Croydon but there are some tough climbs, by Southern England standards, just south of there.
  • mandie
    mandie Posts: 218
    Pokerface wrote:
    Isn't it somewhat flat near London? (I'm asking as I don't know....)

I could design you a route based around Dorking (not too far out of London) that would be as selective as LBL if thats what you want.
    We\'ll kick against the darkness \'till it bleeds daylight
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    "If the route is altered, the area could lose out financially by missing out on cash to spruce up the roads."
    Oh no, Hampstead and Highgate missing out financially? That's outrageous! :roll:

Sheffield would be brill, a proper hilly course guaranteed. And we could do with some sprucing up of the roads...
  • andyp
    It's the London Olympics, not the Sheffield Olympics or the Manchester Olympics or, for that matter, the British OIympics. We've plenty of roads around here that could produce a selective circuit, if required.

If I was Lord Coe I'd be suggesting 100 laps of the Regents Park Inner Circle which should result in a bunch sprint perfectly suited to Mark Cavendish. :wink:
  • Rhods
    Not disputing that it's the London Olympics - let's just stop the pretence that it's for everyone's benefit and worthy of taking an incredible amount of money from worthwhile projects all over the UK, which would actually benefit everyone.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    They'd be crazy to take it outside London. Along with the marathon, it's the one chance to show off the sights of the city. It is also one of the few events people can see for free - so put it where the people are.

The only reasons that the Beijing race went up to Bandaling was because of the nice pictures of them cycling through the Wall and there was a bit of a hill (Beijing being rather flat). It was more or less inaccessible for spectators (even without the over paranoid Chinese autorities).

Keep it in London. Go round the sights. Keep it Cav friendly.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    Who's pretending? Part of me thinks it's great London is hosting the Olympics, another part thinks it's an utter waste of money (bar the velodrome obviously).
  • iainf72
    You'll be able to pick up some drugs on the way to the velodrome. They'll be things like smack rather than EPO or HGH :wink:

You could do a decent route inside London IMO for the road race.

How do people keep up with cycling news if they don't read Ham and High?
  • Rhods
    andyp
    Who's pretending? Part of me thinks it's great London is hosting the Olympics, another part thinks it's an utter waste of money (bar the velodrome obviously).

Not suggesting that the public are - sorry, was a bit vague when I said "let's". I was referring to Coe and his team's propoganda.

BTW, my take on it is very similar to yours.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Almost certain to be London.

A few bridges, a couple of early hills (Highgate, Hampstead etc) finishing in 5-10 laps of a large inner London circuit. Cav will win, everyone will be happy - but the race will be a bit dull.

Has the national champs in 2012 been set? Would make sense to race on the same course as a test and give the UK riders a practice run.
    exercise.png
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    TheStone wrote:
    Almost certain to be London.

A few bridges, a couple of early hills (Highgate, Hampstead etc) finishing in 5-10 laps of a large inner London circuit. Cav will win, everyone will be happy - but the race will be a bit dull.

Has the national champs in 2012 been set? Would make sense to race on the same course as a test and give the UK riders a practice run.

There's always a test event before the Games anyway. Quite a few big names - Evans, Nibali, Mick Rogers etc - did the Beijing one:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road.php ... beijing071
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Why don't they take it down and over Ditchling a couple of times... god knows i hope they don't keep it to London. I live here and struggle to find the will to get out on my steed. The london roads are so bloody awful and depressing. However, I am paying for the bloody games so i guess I want some of it in town.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    How about start in london then south, via the Downs, to the coast, finishing on Brighton seafront? (or is that the London to Brighton route?!)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs