New Forum member who needs some advice on a new bike.

commiepinko
commiepinko Posts: 9
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Great to find a site where I can get some good advice.

I am pretty new to the whole cycling thing, but really want to take riding up a level. I used to commute to work in Manchester (11 miles round trip to work) about 6 years ago. I hadn't done any riding since then, when my twin brother and little brother convinced me into doing a self organised London to Paris trip over 3.5 days. It was quite tough, especially as the only training I had was two 40 mile rides and a hilly 32 miler, but we all completed it.

As I already had a bike, I didn't want to spend any more money on another one, so did the London- Paris on my 6 year old Specialized Sirrus Comp with a rucksack (the rucksack was a mistake, if anyone is planning on doing the same thing). Since I got back from the trip (in May) I have really got into doing about 40 mile trips on a Saturday morning. This is partly in preparation for next years trip of doing 4 countries in 4 days.

With this in mind I am looking at buying a road bike. I know there is a lot of snobbery in road biking circles, but I need some advice on the type of bike, gearing that would be good for flats, climbs etc. What difference is there between Shimano 105 and Ultegra?

I have looked at the Focus Cayo Ultegra and views??

Comments

• Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103

With this in mind I am looking at buying a road bike. I know there is a lot of snobbery in road biking circles, but I need some advice on the type of bike, gearing that would be good for flats, climbs etc. What difference is there between Shimano 105 and Ultegra?

I have looked at the Focus Cayo Ultegra and views??

Hi -

This one: ?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360037590/

The 50/34 chainset with the 27 at the back is fine for climbing (and flat-riding). If you're a new rider, and looking to do some hilly Sportives (or similar) in the near future, then the 50/34 is a must really. Regards groupsets, you only really need something "sufficient" - and that can be Tiagra or 105 or whatever - by all means, if youve got the funds go for an Ultegra equipped bike, but its not a neccesity, as such - as a random example, the Giant Defy 2 ( for £ 650 ) is an ok starter bike

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Defy-2-20 ... _20148.htm

Stick a decent pair of wheels/tyres on it and you've got a nice little bike - obviously again, if youve got the funds then go for something better. If you want to spend £1000 quid on a bike, have a quick search on here for the 1000 quid bike threads - plenty of suggestions in those threads.