Wizard prang

girv73
girv73 Posts: 842
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
After a little practice crash a few days ago (first in over a year), I did a proper one on the way to work this morning.

It was a classic "front wheel slips away" event and I went down on my left shoulder. It was a few seconds before I felt like moving again and when I did I was sorry I didn't wait a bit longer -much pain from shoulder land. I think I may have dislocated it slightly because when I "did a Riggs" and pushed it backwards, there was a bit of crunchy crunchy and the pain mostly went away.

I think my chin was the second impact point as it's skinned nicely and looks silly. The beard may have to be sacrificed temporarily to get it cleaned up properly. My helmet's sun visor bit was knocked off so I suspect the helmet saved me from a full-on tarmac headbutt. Just saying. I've lost skin from knees and elbows too.

The bike buried itself in the foliage and mud at the side of the path, but it was more or less OK. I had to straighten the handlebars, realign the brakes and reset the back wheel into it's QR clamp, but all seems fine now.

The remaining 7-ish miles of commute was taken at an easy pace :)

Check the skidmarks:
th_30072009001.jpg

Where it stopped:
th_30072009002.jpg

Bent bars:
th_30072009003.jpg

Bloodied knee (NSFW)

I'll be contacting Sustrans and the local council to see if they'll consider laying some high friction surface on the short section of this "Newtownabbey Way" that goes through the woods. It's always mossy and is hairy going even on an MTB. I won't now be back that way by road bike if there's been a sniff of rain in the past week.
Today is a good day to ride

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Ouchy! If you did dislocate your shoulder (and you did, by the sound of it) the pain is likely to come back for a week or two. Take ibuprofen for the inflammation and discomfort. You may want a sling to immobilise it if it's really sore. The pisser with dislocations is they can weaken/stretch the tendons (I think?) that hold the shoulder in place making it more likely to happen again.
  • girv73
    I'm loaded up on strong anti-inflammatories already, cheers :) The shoulder isn't too bad at the moment, but do you think should I go and get it checked out at casualty?
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Like he said ^^^
    Dislocations are nasty and weaken the joint affected. Get yerself off to a doctor and get it properly checked out.
    Misguided Idealist
  • biondino
    Casualty can't hurt (well, until they try and manipulate the joint). It's likely what's done is done - can you still move freely? When I did mine badly - swinging a cricket bat, of all things - I dutifully went and got checked out but since it was back in place and no bones were broken, an x-ray didn't tell them anything new. I did get a foam sling though (which has come in useful since as both my shoulders have been weakened by repeated subluxations, sigh).
  • girv73
    Yeah I can move freely, it's just a bit sore. I'm at physio in a couple of hours (won't she be so chuffed with me crashing twice in 3 days) and it's literally 5 minutes from a hospital, so I'll ask again when I'm there.
  • biondino wrote:
    Casualty can't hurt (well, until they try and manipulate the joint). It's likely what's done is done - can you still move freely? When I did mine badly - swinging a cricket bat, of all things - I dutifully went and got checked out but since it was back in place and no bones were broken, an x-ray didn't tell them anything new. I did get a foam sling though (which has come in useful since as both my shoulders have been weakened by repeated subluxations, sigh).
    Did my left shoulder six or seven years back dropping a flying catch in a staff cricket match - shoulder onto concrete-hard earth. It popped back in a few seconds later. Managed to drive home (automatic gears) but couldn't sleep due to the pain. A&E just gave me painkillers. Suffered from stiffness in the arm since - initially I couldn't raise it above horizontal. Now it is almost as mobile as the right shoulder, but stil aches more at the top of the arm if carrying weight in that hand or holding my arm up or horizontal for a length of time.

Girv73, I'm not saying that the same will happen to you, just that it would probably be worth getting at leat the GP to check it out. Also, if it starts aching, push to see if you can get physio. Not fun cycling if your shoulder doesn't want to take the weight.

Stuart
  • biondino
    girv73 wrote:
    Yeah I can move freely, it's just a bit sore. I'm at physio in a couple of hours (won't she be so chuffed with me crashing twice in 3 days) and it's literally 5 minutes from a hospital, so I'll ask again when I'm there.

If you're seeing a physio anyway ask her for advice - she may actually be in a better position to suggest what to do than a GP or an overworked A&E doc.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    girv73 wrote:
    I'm loaded up on strong anti-inflammatories already, cheers :) The shoulder isn't too bad at the moment, but do you think should I go and get it checked out at casualty?

Yup - get quickie neurological assessment to check you've not brained yourself, and get the shoulder x-rayed.

You may need something with a little more oomph than an over-the-counter anti-imflammatory also.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    girv73 FFS man get a grip (no pun) stay ON the bike... yes!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • girv73
    @itboffin believe me, I'm trying to!

On the up side, I think this might persuade the CFO to authorise the purchase of some new, grippier tyres to replace the CST stock rubber on the BeOne that I've had issue with from the start.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    girv73 wrote:
    Wizard prang

The 1940's called; they want their slang back.

:D
  • girv73
    The 1940's called; they want their slang back. :D

Everybody called; they want their overused meme back :D
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    girv73 wrote:

Touche!
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    SecretSam wrote:
    girv73 wrote:

Yup - get quickie neurological assessment to check you've not brained yourself, and get the shoulder x-rayed.

You may need something with a little more oomph than an over-the-counter anti-imflammatory also.

We get this comment with every prang, there is a place for common sense you know. as someone who used to work in A&E i can tell you that you do not need a shoulder xray. If you are able to move your shoulder it isn't dislocated or broken. It's possible that it partially slipped out at the time, but only a tiny bit, you wouild not have got it back yourself if properly out. As for your head I guarantee you will simply be given some head injury advice (let us know if you begin to feel unwell esp headaches, vomitting, drowsiness) and sent on your way. There you go saved you a 4 hour wait in a boring waiting room.
  • girv73
    Thanks Aguila, that's pretty much what the physio told me :) I'm also advised to go and lie in a hot bath this evening. Shame, I *so* wanted to get on with that DIY.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    girv73 wrote:

Touche!

did anyone else think this thread was some kind of new rude word?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.