the great british summer

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited July 2009 in The Crudcatcher
ahhh the british summer ..... is currently more like the british winter. just been out for a ride in the rain, planned on doing a few runs on the dh trails near my house then doin the local xc loop. well after a single run on the dh the thought of doing 35 miles in this weather wasnt appealing. my summer tyres, maxis crossmarks 2.25, have yet to see a really dry day and im wondering wether its time to bring the spikes out because it really was that muddy. practise in maribor the other week springs to mind tbh. it was horrendous, i couldnt see sh!t, the mud was playing havoc with my brakes and dont even get me started on those tyres, across wet roots they are lethal :( bloody summer

end of rant

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    In a perverse, twisted kind of way I am kind of enjoying it. OK the trails are all chewed up and riddled with bottomless craters full of mud/water but once I'm out, I'm OK. I stay off the mud runs and ride the fire roads more but I don't care, it's better than watching the rain run down the windows.

And it can only get better. Can't it?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    No it can get wetter :(
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    it could be worse!

i will go out tommorow or late no matter what the weather.
    i will go hit the dh runs as it will be deadly fun literally
    jusst think of all those lovely slippy roots
    awww heaven

as you have probably guessed i am not a fair weather cycleist
    who cares if its raining or not. it doesnt mean you cant go out :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    makes you a better rider the wet does,,,, kinda ;)
  • ramemtbers
    true you learn that you can hit the dry stuff faster and also get your brake control nailed
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Insane rain down here in Cornwall. The boat usually needs a bail out once every fornight (the cover isn't great) - at the moment it's every other day - arrrrghhhhh!!!
  • ramemtbers
    Insane rain down here in Cornwall. The boat usually needs a bail out once every fornight (the cover isn't great) - at the moment it's every other day - arrrrghhhhh!!!

what boat do you have
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    yer i have to agree that its great fun to ride in and great for the skils, i do get out alot in the winter and am miles quicker than my mates in the wet, but come on summer is meant to be all out, flat out dusty singletrack and seriosly high speeds, not clingin on for dear life so many times ive a hit a root and the heart skips a beat as i can feel the bike step out, but atleast its making me a btter rider. maybe sam hill comes here for training :lol:
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    ramemtbers wrote:

what boat do you have

Salcombe Flyer 440 (14.5ft) with a Mercury 2 stroke 60. Weighs nothing so it's pretty quick (around 40 knots). Love it!
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    i love the rain. Only coz i can get covered in crap and wet lol. deffo alows me to learn how to control the bike better
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    Don't mind a bit of rain now and again, however i'd like it to Balance out now and again. Instead of the constant weeks of rain. Cant go out on the MTB and riding the motorbike in the rain is just dull, i'd like to be able to lean right over, not plod round corners :evil:
  • FSR Si
    FSR Si Posts: 147
    Cant stand the rain myself been over 3 weeks since i rode off road now, I'm getting depressed :cry:
    My Rides......91 GT Talera SingleSpeed, 97 Klein pulse race, 2010 Boardman HT Pro
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Bloody rain! I love riding in the mud, but when you rush straight out after work for an evening ride, get home at 9:30 and need to spend half an hour getting the mud off your bike before you can go and have some dinner and a shower it's a pain in the arse.

I was really enjoying the dry spell when I could ride 3/4 times a week and only give the bike a quick wash once a week or so to get the dust off!
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    nothing better then riding in the rain ! once ive accepted that im going to get wet and plastered its great fun :lol: its just that initial push out the door thats hard :roll:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    Riding on Dartmoor in this weather, you need a bl@@dy degree in navigation so you don't get lost.
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    B*llocks to it all, I wanna move to Spain.....
    It's been a while...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Graydawg wrote:
    B*llocks to it all, I wanna move to Spain.....

fooking A+!
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    fred1star wrote:
    Riding on Dartmoor in this weather, you need a bl@@dy degree in navigation so you don't get lost.

+1 i used to do alot of walking up dartmoor in the winter to train for the ten tors and every year the event came around you could of just taken a day sack with a tent and some sandwiches

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Mastineo
    Mastineo Posts: 182
    6 months of the year its cold and wet and the other 6 months is winter!!! Gotta love Britain.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    My Cannondale Morphis jacket has just arrived (thanks Evans), so BRING IT ON!!!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/