Zesty 514 tubleless tyre gone a bit flat. ???

neeeeeeeeeek
neeeeeeeeeek Posts: 38
edited July 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I am new to this tubeless lark! I have not had time to look at it, just noticed it was really soft as I left the house. Assuming it's not just the valve, will the tyre have some sealant in it which wil have stopped a full on flat or is that something you add yourself? Do I just take the tyre off and look for a puncture in the traditional fashion?

Sorry for being a spaz but I have never had tubeless before!

:)

Comments

• Yeti Jon
    Yeti Jon Posts: 19
    If it is straight out of the box as it were then there probably wont be any sealant in the tyres. You could try adding some and seeing if that fixes the puncture, if not there are tubeless puncture repair kits available that you can use with out taking the tyre off.

I have found numerous thorns etc in my tubeless tyres when i have removed them that weren't leaking any air.
  • Do you take them off to add the sealant or just use the valve? Any particular type you would recommend?

Cheers
    :)
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    I removed the god awful Race Kings from my Zesty after the first ride! There wasnt any sealant in mine. You can unscrew the valve core perhaps and get some sealant in that way or peel back the sidewall in one place, put some in then brush some soapy water around the tyre edge and blow it up with a foot/track pump, spin it round a bit and the sealant should do its job
  • That's for the info, I don't mind the race kings, not sure about when the wether turns tho! What have you replaced them with?? I will need some good tyres for muddy peak district trails :) I assume they are easy to fit being tubeless, no extra things I need to do or anything??

Cheers :)
  • breezer
    Currently running dual compount DTC Kenda Nevegal on the front and a Small Block 8 on the back. You will only need some sealant, research and patience to fit tubeless, took me about 3 hours to get them sealed heh
  • Yeti Jon
    Yeti Jon Posts: 19
    Do you have the XT wheel set on the zesty?

I wasn't able to get the valve core out on my XT wheels so I just took the tyre of the rim a little bit and added some sealant. I have used bonty super juice and the stuff from JRA both of which have been pretty naff. The bonty stuff didn't seal the smallest holes and the jra stuff just formed a big ball inside the tyre after a couple of months.

Have gone for some stans stuff this time but can't really comment on it long term yet.

Wouldn't bother with the washing up liquid if you have the xt wheelset as tyres seem to seat really well on them. Have managed to seat none tubeless tyres just using a track pump on mine.
  • breezer
    Yep the original XT wheels for me. Im using stans sealant now. My tyres are not ust ones and I did need washing up liquid with a track pump to get them to pop out and seat right. I only had a couple of minor sidewall leaks that sealed quickly but spent about 3 hours of shaking, rotating, leaving to sit etc before they sealed around the rim lip. The rear was losing a couple of psi for a few days after but seems to have settled now.

It was a complete and utter faff and I only did it as it cost me the sealant and I punctured in a xc race but I like changing my tyres often so will probably end up back with tubes long run which are lighter as well as I (sadly lol) weighed the sealant I put in (hah) and I can change a tube in a few minutes, not hours like with this.