Halfords C2W experiance?

TommyAxVts
TommyAxVts Posts: 9
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
My employer has just agreed to join the Cycle to work scheme but the only problem is its with halfords, Just wondered how other people that have gone through halfords cycle to work scheme found there service? is it really as bad as my friends make out? also what bike did you manage to secure through them?
I managed to find a Giant TCR Alliance 1 for £1000 in my LBS but a friend told me halfords cant get hold of giants. :(
and i dont fancy a boardman team carbon as 4 of my work colleagues have ordered them.

Comments

• hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I had no problems. Got a Pearson Hanzo fixed wheel, so not your usual Halfords bike.

I didn't bother with my local Halfords store but telephoned their cycle to work team instead and dealt directly with Pearsons. I found them quite helpful.
  • Sounds good i quite like the look of this
    http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... Large.html
    or if i can put money towards it then this
    http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/product/ ... RIPLE_2009
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I don't think that Planet X deal with Halfords any more. I believe they had a falling out :( .

You would need to talk to Pearsons about putting money towards it as this is against the scheme rules. Some LBS will just stick £1000 through the C2W and let you pay the difference, other won't. IIRC though I think that they were trying to clamp down on this sort of thing.

Have you had a look at the Ribble bikes? I know Ribble also supply through the Halfords scheme. A guy a ride with has a Ribble Sportive. He is pleased with it and it looks really nice.
  • WeAreACC
    WeAreACC Posts: 20
    My experience was spot on- Deal direct with their C2W Business Centre like the previous poster says (contact details come on the forms you need to sign).
    Takes about 8 weeks from order to collection from your nearest branch but you can order pretty much any bike under a grand and they will try and get it for you.
  • merlinghnd
    merlinghnd Posts: 106
    I have got 2 bikes over the last 2 years,a MTB from Specialized and a Focus Cayo on the C2W through Halfords and am looking at getting a third.

I would advise you to decide what you want (remembering £1000 maximum), ring the helpline number to see if they can get it (they can get most things but some like Trek have to be picked up from a Trek dealer which may not be near you, Planet X they do not supply).

My Halfords store where I picked up were very helpful, I believe in the past, some people have asked Halfords not to assemble bike.

Remember, that the money can go towards a bike plus accesories including pumps,lights, clothes, locks, helmets etc etc. Halfords have catalogues behiind the counter so can get a lot more stuff than you see on the shelf or on their web site, go into your local Halfords and have a look.

If this scheme is available to you and you are happy to spend up to £1000, this scheme is a no brainer, go for it.
  • StevePn
    StevePn Posts: 16
    Hi
    Halfords also use 3rd Parties.
    Primera in Bournemouth and Lesuire Lakes. Also i think there are quite a few more.
    They will supply most bikes, with the exception of Bianchi, Cayo and Planet X.
    I was after a Bianchi myself, but will have to go for a Specialized instead. UNLESS someone knows who will supply a Bianchi with the Halfords LOC/Voucher.
    Steve
  • Bought a Boardman Team Carbon back in January from the Reading store. No problems whatsoever with the service and (touch wood) have had no problems with the bike since buying it.
  • StevePn
    StevePn Posts: 16
    Cycle-Addict
    Do yoyu work for Network Rail?
    Steve
  • StevePn wrote:
    Cycle-Addict
    Do yoyu work for Network Rail?
    Steve

Steve - nope....I'm actually an accountant :shock: [although sometimes wish I did have a different job!]
  • I got my Giant through Halfords C2W scheme last year, you just need to ring the "special orders" team. One thing to note is that special orders are priced at full RRP, but as you are getting about a third off anyway...

I'll admit that since I picked the bike up I've not stepped back into Halfords. The setup left a lot to be desired, but that's just my personal experience. A trip to the LBS and all was sorted.
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.
  • WeAreACC
    WeAreACC Posts: 20
    merlinghnd wrote:
    I have got 2 bikes over the last 2 years,a MTB from Specialized and a Focus Cayo on the C2W through Halfords and am looking at getting a third.

I've just finished paying for a Rockhopper and was thinking of a getting a Cayo (spookily). Did you have to do anything different when you made your 2nd application or did you get any awkward questions?
  • snig
    snig Posts: 428
    pearsons will take your halfords voucher and will also allow you to put extra money too it!
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    WeAreACC wrote:
    My experience was spot on- Deal direct with their C2W Business Centre like the previous poster says (contact details come on the forms you need to sign).
    Takes about 8 weeks from order to collection from your nearest branch but you can order pretty much any bike under a grand and they will try and get it for you.

+1 I did this as well and have a lovely Viner Gladius. The less you have to deal with Halfords stores themselves the better. All they did for me was literally hand over the bike after attaching the pedals I had bought (I had to show thwm which way round they went. Honestly). For some reason it was too much for them to put the bar tape on so they had started and then just left it hanging down. There were a couple of other issues so just re check the bike yourself when you get it home. The bike its self is great though, as are the C2W team you phone up.
  • thanks for all your replys!!!!
    just have to decide what bike i want now.
  • martylaa
    martylaa Posts: 147
    Get the Boardman Team Carbon i did throught the cycle2work scheme and having just giving it its first run out i'm well please ( no problems with my set-up )
    it's one of the best bikes for under a grand ( if not the best, see the link below ) why compromise just because other people have ordered it.
    p.s the fact that 4 people have went for it should tell you something about it

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... n-09-33934