upgrading my carrera vulcan 07

blodders
blodders Posts: 25
edited July 2009 in MTB general
Hi,

wonder if anyone can advise me. I have the carrera vulcan 07. Only really started riding it properly this year. I am looking to upgarde parts on it and wondered what people recommended. I have about £400 to spend.
First thought is the forks. What would be best for road use and xc use? I require LO facility.

Anything else you can recommend? brakes etc.?

Hoping you can help

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First off you need to identify why you need to upgrade. Anything letting you down? Weight loss

Though I agree it is hard to know what is better before you have tried it lol, upgrading things like brakes may not produce anything different.
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Ive managed to do well to my carrera vulcan ! just recently i spent £55 on some second hand manitou blacks (which are bloody brilliant!) and £160 on a hope pro 2 wheelset ! have a look around at 2nd hand bargains and you will be suprised how far your money will go

Wheels and forks are a good place to lose weight !
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • Stewwmb
    Stewwmb Posts: 257
    Wheels and brakes are a good start.

Wheels because the stock ones aren't brilliant, very heavy and not really that strong.

Brakes because you WILL get fed up of adjusting them all the time..
  • supersonic
    stevet1992 wrote:
    Ive managed to do well to my carrera vulcan ! just recently i spent £55 on some second hand manitou blacks (which are bloody brilliant!) and £160 on a hope pro 2 wheelset ! have a look around at 2nd hand bargains and you will be suprised how far your money will go

Glad you like the forks ;-)
  • stevet1992
    supersonic wrote:
    stevet1992 wrote:

Glad you like the forks ;-)

i love them 8)

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Sell for £100, buy Fury?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Exactly what I was thinking.
  • blodders
    blodders Posts: 25
    i am wanting to upgrade due to the weight issue. And i am not really happy with the forks hence that was my first place of thought.

Cheers for the thoughts. Please keep them coming

Northwind. what is the Fury? Can you give me more details please?
  • stevet1992
    blodders wrote:
    i am wanting to upgrade due to the weight issue. And i am not really happy with the forks hence that was my first place of thought.

Cheers for the thoughts. Please keep them coming

Northwind. what is the Fury? Can you give me more details please?

Carrera Fury, Buy them from halfords for £499.99 or less when on special offer

If you grab the 08 version it has a 130mm U-turn (travel adjust) tora fork , hydraulic brakes and a alright set of wheels but is quite heavy ...

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup, it's the Vulcan's big brother. More of a burly trail bike than an XC bike though (but not as heavy as you'd think despite that as the components are good- it's lighter than many 100mm £500 bikes. I don't know how it compares to the Vulcan in terms of weight, the fork is actually slightly heavier I think (though aproximately 10 million times better) but the wheels, finishing kit are probably all lighter.

Not to diss the Vulcan at all, it's a really good bike for a very low price, amazing what you can get these days.
    Uncompromising extremist