Kona update...... the ongoing saga!

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited July 2009 in MTB general
Righto, it's getting into serious 'restoration' mode now, rather than the little hack build I was planning!!!

Joined Retrobike, and what a helpful bunch of guys they are too! Have managed to procure some original parts for the restoration (still need a couple of bits but nearly there)

But haveing been tinkering with the bike this week, have decided to get a respray job done. ALready had some retro decals, so am getting a respray..... either glass black or purple with gold decals 8) not sure which yet....

But have original XT v-brakes now/LX levers, original Kona racelight bars, syncros quill stem, tioga seatpost, onza pedals, sugino cranks, new chainring bolts (going to buy new ST BB), original XT rear mech and LX front mech (pristing condition), XT front hub, LX parralax rear on Mvic rims) ritchey foam grips... really good stuff

I must admit, I really have been bitten by the whole retro thing, takes me waaaay back.

But, even though it's going to take a little longer, it's sure going to be worth it!!!!

:D

Comments

• gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Retro bike is good - I sold my old Saracen and wife's Kona Hahhanna on there :)

Oh and some old wheels etc etc
  • The Big Cheese
    Yep - great site for the retro-heads out there, never realised there was such a niche for it all, really is quite fascinating!!!

Can't wait for you all to see the ol' Kona when she's done, I shall get before and after pics!

:D
  • The Big Cheese
    Nice bikes there, I used to have an old Saracen, canne remember the model circa 1990....

Heres some shots of the Kona as it is now:

Her is my 1995 Kona AA

These pics are how it stands at the moment. I am waiting on some parts bought from here, but this is where she is at.

Got NOS 1990 Shimano LX crankset coming over next few days!!! :D

The frame is going to be sent to paint next week, GLASS BLACK with gold downtube and headtube decals :)

I am toying seriously with selling the 'zocchis and buying some P2s in glass black with gold decals!!! ;) Will mean a standard headset and retro stem though. So far the spec is:

Rear mech: XT
    Front mech: LX
    Brake levers: LX
    Shifters: Have not got these yet
    Chainset: 1990 LX (not delivered yet)
    Pedals: Onza caged
    Bars: Kona Racelight / with Ritchey foam grips
    Stem: Syncros quill 150mm / 0 degree rise
    Seatpost: Tioga
    Saddle: undecided
    brakes: Old XT V's silver
    Hubs: Front XT / rear LX Parralax
    Rims: Mavic ??

Its getting there, still a few bits to get but I'm sure when the paintjob is done it should look cool, here you are:

s1050431.jpg

s1050432.jpg

s1050433.jpg

s1050436.jpg

s1050435.jpg
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Nice 8)

Just shows you how forks have evolved over the years, I mean compare the diameter of the fork legs with a modern fork.

P2s would look very good - especially with a black frame.

In a way I do regret selling my Saracen, could have kept it and made a singlespeed out of it.

However, a mate has his old Saracen Tufftrax in british racing green still in my garage from October last year (he may have forgotten about it)...
  • The Big Cheese
    He he - you know you're gonna keep it :wink:

Yes, the lowers are tiny, very feeble. In a strange way they are quite nice though, I may get the lowers re-painted gold if I keep them.....

I must admit, I have a rather nice Syncros stem (quill) on its way that will look awesome, all of those old quill stems are over 100mm long though lol - better get stretching my arms!!!