Is it wrong for me to want to buy a team kit . . . .

Harry Hill
Harry Hill Posts: 114
edited October 2009 in Pro race
based purely on which one "I like the look of"?

Its not like football is it? Where you get lynched for having the wrong kit on?
.. who said that, internet forum people ?

Comments

• mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    Harry Hill wrote:
    Its not like football is it? Where you get lynched for having the wrong kit on?
    No - we'll just follow you home and wee on your bartape.
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Nope. Whatever floats your boat.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    I would too, but they cost far too much. The bloody sponsors should subsidise them as it only promotes them further!
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    ...........and remember that some kits (dare I mention Columbia) could get you locked up by the fashion police.

Odd to say, but I was going to give an elderly Pringle Argyle sweater to Oxfam, but have decided to keep it and wear it this winter as a tribute to JV and Wiggins.

None of my friends will have a clue why I'm wearing it.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    It's wrong, just so wrong. Join a club and wear the club kit. 8)
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    go on...wear it...
    anything that causes a bit of controversy and discussion keeps us all interested in the sport... I'd love the all green kit that flashy Cavendish was wearing for a while.... I'd expect some cynical remarks and teasing..but I can take it
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    wear what you want :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • shannyla
    shannyla Posts: 28
    Au contraire, it's so very wrong. Simply, you'll look like a knob, especially if you are even a little bit overweight. In fact you'll look just like Jan Ullrich at the start of a season, after all the pies had been scoffed...

...Unless it's a pair of AG2R's shorts, they're actually damm cool looking.
  • Ramanujan
    Ramanujan Posts: 352
    the rule is that you can get away with team shorts.
    But under no circumstances whatsoever can anyone but an actual pro wear a trade team top.
  • shannyla
    shannyla Posts: 28
    Ramanujan wrote:
    the rule is that you can get away with team shorts.
    But under no circumstances whatsoever can anyone but an actual pro wear a trade team top.

This is a fair summary of the actual, written-down, weekend warrior wearing team kit rule, imo...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Mothyman wrote:
    go on...wear it...
    anything that causes a bit of controversy and discussion keeps us all interested in the sport... I'd love the all green kit that flashy Cavendish was wearing for a while.... I'd expect some cynical remarks and teasing..but I can take it

I've got nothing against team kit (my avatar is me doing a triathlon in an ONCE jersey), but I draw the line at prize jerseys - it doesn't seem right to me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,601
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mothyman wrote:
    go on...wear it...

I've got nothing against team kit (my avatar is me doing a triathlon in an ONCE jersey), but I draw the line at prize jerseys - it doesn't seem right to me.

+1.

I'll neevr even dare to wear yellow whilst out on the road, but similarly to football, I will try and replicate them as fara s kit is concerned.

As Tim Moore says "You can have all the fancy kit you want, it just means there's less excuses to blame poor form on"
  • Oz Chief
    Oz Chief Posts: 176
    RichN95 wrote:

What about National Champs jerseys? Is that lame too?

I've got a Matt Wilson - Aus Champ - Fracaise de Juex and a knock-off Julian Dean -NZ- Credit Agricole.

I'm thinking about buying a Sweden Columbia-High Road off Ebay. I assume that's Lokvist.
  • I think team kit is okay but never ever go for the team kit that matches your pro team replica bike.

This rule can be pain as i like the Team Cervelo kit even the white one (although not the white bib shorts) but I can't wear it.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    If they sell it, surely you can buy it?

I generally err on the side of the slightly retro, along with my club kit and some non-trade team stuff i have a carrerra jersey, an old Caisse/Iles balaeres top, a Euskaltel jersey (i love that kit) and two Gibo Simoni jerseys (Lampre Caffita and Diquigiovanni) as he's my favourite rider.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • I recommend team kit and long black socks preferably with Nike present somewhere in the mix. That will give some club cyclists a heart attack if they see you. Mind you, you'd better be able to go fast if you are wearing a podium jersey otherwise a chain gang will seek you out and destroy you.

I wore a polka dot cap up the Galibier a few years ago as it was so cold and I didn't have any other hat so borrowed it off a mate. I've never felt so self concious riding my bike.
  • RichN95.
    Oz Chief wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

What about National Champs jerseys? Is that lame too?

I've got a Matt Wilson - Aus Champ - Fracaise de Juex and a knock-off Julian Dean -NZ- Credit Agricole.

I'm thinking about buying a Sweden Columbia-High Road off Ebay. I assume that's Lokvist.

That's a tricky one. I wouldn't buy the British one (I'm British), but I also have the Julian Dean NZ one (a great jersey)
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Buy them and cherish them, I love wearing my Banesto top and my pre 2008 TdF Team High Road top, I've also got the cool CSC one with the abs on it and a few others (I rarely wear the Cofidis one I bought in support of Wiggo before they all got thrown off the tour though :? )

Anybody who starts laying down rules about what you can wear is just being daft, Sock colour should definitely be optional too!

There I've said it
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    On the topic oof buying team,kit, does anyone remember the name of the website that sells pretty much all team kits. It may be based in Italy?

Thanks
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Homer J wrote:
    +1. Or wear completely plain kit!
  • Ratkilla
    Ratkilla Posts: 230
    Wear whatever the hell you want to.
    Anyone slagged me off for wearing a team jersey I'd soundly tell them to feck right off and get a life.
    Back in the 80's I used to ride my Peugeot wearing either the Chequerboard or the full Z get up. And even the La Vie Claire (yes whilst riding a Peugeot heaven forfend!)
    Never got a slagging then wouldn't expect one now.

Do the same supposed 'rules' apply to shoes I wonder?

And as for joining a club (any kind of club) I wouldn't join one that would have me as a member :lol:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'm in the "wear what you like" camp.

I don't buy the line that one can only wear a jersey if one's earnt it. Replica shirts are commonplace in most major sports, be it footy, cricket, rugby, American football, baseball, basketball, ice hockey, etc. etc.

Should I not wear an England shirt because I'm not an international cricketer/footballer/rugby player? Nah, I'm not having that.

On the team loyalty front, I don't think that matters, either. Unlike national teams, or stable, long-standing teams like Man U or Liverpool, cycling trade teams come and go. Sponsors change, team names change, etc. I have a Lotto Super Club jersey I bought some 18 or more years ago (yellow shoulders, rather than the pink ones). I bought and wore that because I liked the jersey; nothing to do with the team or riders (although they did have some riders I liked, such as Bruyneel and Museeuw).

I think it looks a bit silly to be wearing a KotM polka-dot jersey while walking up a hill, but that's still up to the rider in question. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • WeAreACC
    WeAreACC Posts: 20
    I keep my kit as anonymous a possible- I live next to the British Cycling Team's shared house and it's embarrassing enough that they constantly overtake me at twice my speed while i'm out training :-(
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    It's wrong, just so wrong. Join a club and wear the club kit.

Great - the cycling Nazi's are here again! You vill not vear zat team uniform. :shock:

Wear WTF you like - it's your hobby.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Homer J wrote:

Two points here its not wrong in any way shape or form and joing a club should be the last thing he would want to do. My experineces of three clubs they were full of TDF wannabees who want to blow you out the back on your first club ride.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Just get a Belgian or Dutch Amateur team jersey from the mid/late 1990's - obscure, good looking (well, some are).
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    I admire any slightly overweight weekend warrior who has the baws to wear the rainbow jersey!

I've always like the FDJ gear and the Z stuff for the retro look - don't have any of it though!

As an aside, a friend of mine turned rode his first open '10' wearing a borrowed Lampre skinsuit as he didn't have any other gear. The commissaire had a word with him to tell him not to do it again as someone might mistake him for a pro Lampre rider. He was only 3 stone overweight at the time and riding a £200 massi...
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Homer J wrote:

Two points here its not wrong in any way shape or form and joing a club should be the last thing he would want to do. My experineces of three clubs they were full of TDF wannabees who want to blow you out the back on your first club ride.

+1
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    @disgruntledgoat,

I have those 2 jerseys as well for the same reason. However, I always hope that nobody else knows that as, being about 3 feet taller as Gibo I don't exactly dance up the Mortirolo like him. For the same reason I have never bought the polka dot jersey although the wearers of said jersey are the ones who got me started on a bike.
  • RichN95.
    grantus wrote:
    As an aside, a friend of mine turned rode his first open '10' wearing a borrowed Lampre skinsuit as he didn't have any other gear. The commissaire had a word with him to tell him not to do it again as someone might mistake him for a pro Lampre rider. He was only 3 stone overweight at the time and riding a £200 massi...

This guy?

fatguyinspandex-1-01.jpg