new bike v upgrade any thoughts?

lmk1
lmk1 Posts: 95
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
i have a specialized allez sport 2009 with tiagra groupset. This is first year back cycling after many many years but am well and truely hooked. I've been considering an upgrade to the allez v a new bike (possibly ribble frame) and are aware some bargains are bound to be had soon given 2010 stuff in shops now/ very soon. if i was to go for upgrade to allez i'd probabily go for ultegra groupset (from merlin cycles at under £500) plus improved wheels. is this better option than carbon frame? any ideas?

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    To justify an 'upgrade' I would say your going to have to shell out above the £1200 bracket. I dont know if upgrading your components on the sport are worthwhile in the long term, other forum guys probably will tell you.

The only option to sweeten the blow would maybe consider selling the sport and financing a newer expensive bike over a year to two years. Tough choice but depends how much you love the sport now and offsetting the cost of upgrades to the current bike.
  • lmk1
    thanks for the reply i had considered an upgrade to the allez groupset/ wheels for 2010 then at some stage a new frame and utilising the allez frame and original parts as winter bike. felt this may spread the cost and give me an option for winter/ bad weather..... complicated process as it might be!
  • Garz
    If your planning on building a secondary bike/winter hack then just replace your stuff gradually and use the spares to make it, great fun!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    lmk1 wrote:
    i have a specialized allez sport 2009 with tiagra groupset. This is first year back cycling after many many years but am well and truely hooked. I've been considering an upgrade to the allez v a new bike (possibly ribble frame) and are aware some bargains are bound to be had soon given 2010 stuff in shops now/ very soon. if i was to go for upgrade to allez i'd probabily go for ultegra groupset (from merlin cycles at under £500) plus improved wheels. is this better option than carbon frame? any ideas?

You could always upgrade your frame to a Planet X or Ribble Carbon, or even a Kinesis frame - your LBS could swap over the parts for £ 60-70 ish - could always upgrade your wheels to some Kysrium Elites, RS80's or Easton EA90's.
  • lmk1
    thanks for the advice plenty to ponder! can anyone offer an opinion on what would constitute the biggest improvement:- existing frame with improved groupset and wheels or carbon frame with existing groupset (tiagra) and same wheels (mavic cxp22 rims and specialized hubs)?
  • Garz
    Out of them two choices I would say improved groupset and wheels.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    lmk1 wrote:
    thanks for the advice plenty to ponder! can anyone offer an opinion on what would constitute the biggest improvement:- existing frame with improved groupset and wheels or carbon frame with existing groupset (tiagra) and same wheels (mavic cxp22 rims and specialized hubs)?

Existing frame with improved Wheels and groupset - go for the wheels (and tyres) first - for £350 quid you could get some RS80's or Kysrium Elites - a bit more cash, gets you the EA90's or even the 7850's or Shamal Ultras. Wheels constitute one fo the most important upgrades you can make.
  • lmk1
    thanks for the advice the EA90's look fantastic!!
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    Garz wrote:

How would the groupset improve the bike so much, given the cost? Will a few 100 g make such a big difference compared to a carbon frame?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The wheels would make by far the biggest improvement. They are the weakest part of the Allez Sport package; the frame and groupset are respectable enough.

Upgrading the groupset is a lot of money for less tangible benefits. Possibly smoother, quicker shifting? Some weight saving. Mainly for the bling factor.

Carbon frame ain't neccessarily lighter, but may give you a smoother ride. Again, there's the bling factor with naked carbon.

Personally I'd go for a better bike with a balanced spec of frame, wheels, groupset. Buy in the sales or second hand to maximise the amount of bike you get for your money. Then sell the Allez as it is, or relegate to winter bike (but bear in mind it won't take full mudguards)
  • Garz
    Essex Man wrote:
    Garz wrote:

How would the groupset improve the bike so much, given the cost? Will a few 100 g make such a big difference compared to a carbon frame?

If you read what the guy said, this was his options structured by his very own sentences!

So out of the two I chose this option with the new wheels, the groupset is a bonus (as he's prepared to splash the cash). Please think before reading/quoting posts! :roll:
  • Essex Man
    Garz wrote:
    Essex Man wrote:
    Garz wrote:

If you read what the guy said, this was his options structured by his very own sentences!

So out of the two I chose this option with the new wheels, the groupset is a bonus (as he's prepared to splash the cash). Please think before reading/quoting posts! :roll:

Give me a break - it was 6.54 a.m.!
  • lmk1
    Christ I've started an arguement.:..
  • Grazy81
    Grazy81 Posts: 196
    lmk1 wrote:
    thanks for the reply i had considered an upgrade to the allez groupset/ wheels for 2010 then at some stage a new frame and utilising the allez frame and original parts as winter bike. felt this may spread the cost and give me an option for winter/ bad weather..... complicated process as it might be!

I would go with your origional plan makes perfect sense. :D:D:D
  • Garz
    Essex Man wrote:
    Garz wrote:
    Essex Man wrote:
    Garz wrote:

Give me a break - it was 6.54 a.m.!

Well it was a bit sternly put essex man, hard to depict the style from the text but seemed rather aggressive. No offence taken. :arrow:
  • Essex Man
    Garz wrote:

Well it was a bit sternly put essex man, hard to depict the style from the text but seemed rather aggressive. No offence taken. :arrow:

None intended.
  • starseven
    starseven Posts: 112
    I'm stuck with same choice. Today I've decided to upgrade the groupset, tomorrow could be different choice.

I could spring for a new bike (i like this years treks) but think I will buy a groupset from merlin, veloce for me though, I like the clean handlebar style and have always fancied a bit of campagnolo.
    I already upgraded the wheels and will need a new hub body on the rear for campag and the original chain and cassette are about due for replacement anyway. I dont expect massive weight loss but some extra presicion and bottom bracket stiffness. Plus the style of it, an Allez with Campagnolo and Aksiums, cool !!

Also although the Allez is not perfect, me and it are just about getting used to each other so I reckon its worth it.
  • lmk1
    thanks for all the comments and advice. i'm now leaning towards upgrade, with wheels first and yes some bling with a new groupset so thanks to everyone!
  • Garz
    Send us a pic after the upgrades lmk1! :)

(must conform to NapD's standards though)