Floor stand/rack for 3 bikes

sinar
sinar Posts: 59
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has a suggestions for a suitable stand or rack set up for 3 mountain bikes.

I got one similar to this for Christmas last year:

http://www.parrs.co.uk/src/cycle/cid/6S ... s-T824.htm

The only problem with it is that the slots are too narrow so only one of my bikes actually fit in it, and that is a very tight fit, my 2 other bikes tyres are too big to fit in.

So any suggestions that would be suitable would be appreciated, I've had a look online can't find anything suitable,

Thanks for looking,

Julie

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    spread the bars a bit. i have a 3 and a 5 bike racks like that and have no probs with 2,5 tyres.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    I just use some 2"by 4" timber, two pieces about 5ft long and 20inch apart with more lengths off timber the same spanning across at intervals which are wide enough for the different size tyres that slot into the gaps, similar to what you see at some trail centres
  • sinar
    nicklouse wrote:
    spread the bars a bit. i have a 3 and a 5 bike racks like that and have no probs with 2,5 tyres.

What did you use to spread the bars? I've just tried pulling them apart by hand and they are not shifting, I might trying bashing them with a mallet tomorrow,

Julie
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just pushed the wheel in.

a pole or crowbar would be better than a Mallet.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sinar
    birchy wrote:
    I just use some 2"by 4" timber, two pieces about 5ft long and 20inch apart with more lengths off timber the same spanning across at intervals which are wide enough for the different size tyres that slot into the gaps, similar to what you see at some trail centres

Thanks for the suggestion, the only problem is if I try and make something out of wood it will end up looking really bad, the bikes are kept in my frount room so I want something that doesn't look like a very poor DIY job,

Julie
  • sinar
    nicklouse wrote:

Yours must be a bit more flexible than mine, mine is totally solid, either that or I am shockingly weak, but I don't think I'm that bad, I don't have a crowbar so I might just try bashing them, I've not got anything to lose as its all but useless as it is,

Julie
  • sinar
    nicklouse wrote:

Yours must be a bit more flexible than mine, mine is totally solid, either that or I am shockingly weak, but I don't think I'm that bad, I don't have a crowbar so I might just try bashing them, I've not got anything to lose as its all but useless as it is,

Julie