Halfords' website misrepresentation of Boardman bike

sturmey
sturmey Posts: 964
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
Halfords seem to have misrepresented the facts somewhat-either fraudulently or negligently- about one of their products.

The Boardman Comp road bike is falsely claimed on the Halfords website to have a Shimano 105 groupset which would make it an excellent buy at the price.

Except the reality is the ONLY 105 COMPONENT on this bike is the REAR MECH!!

Come on Halfords. Stop trying to con people all the time.

Oh,and stick to selling roof racks instead.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710

Comments

• volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    Shimano 105/Tiagra 18 speed gearing for reliable shifting performance

seems fairly accurate to me?????
  • Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    Shimano 105/Tiagra 18 speed gearing for reliable shifting performance
    Powerful dual pivot Tektro R720 brakes

Seems quite obvious to me.

The
    The Boardman Road Comp Bike uses lightweight aluminium and carbon fibre materials with Shimano 105 groupset and has a 55.5cm frame
    could be misread, but the description is pretty clear, and if you select Spec then that breaks it down even more.

Don't think it's fraud, just some grease monkey that doesn't know his 105 groupset from his 105 bus home.
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Well they are claiming in the opening blurb that it has a 105 groupset- which usually means it has a 105 groupset!

It's just a marketing strategy to fool newbies who might not know better into buying it.
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    could be, but could also be that newbies might not really know what the difference between 105 and Tiagra is?
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I agree with the OP, the advert is misleading. 105 groupset means exactly that – the full group of 105 components.

It’s like buying a computer from Dell advertised as coming with Microsoft Office Suite, only for the small print to explain that only the spreadsheet is Office Excel and the rest of the packages are MS Works.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Slightly off topic but I once bought some new wiper blades from Halfords and because it was raining I took them up on their offer to fit them for £2.99. The Halfords ape managed to crack my windscreen. Excellent.
  • robdaykin
    robdaykin Posts: 102
    It's not just Halfords though. When I was looking around earlier this year I found a bike with 'Dura Ace' groupset. The only non-105 component was the rear derailleur... And that was a big name manufacturer. Generally I ignore the headlines, and look at the detailed spec. If it hasn't got a detailed spec, ignore it.