Newbie..which clipless pedals?

easternbhoy
easternbhoy Posts: 42
edited August 2009 in MTB buying advice
I'm a bot confused as to which clipless pedals to buy. As a newbie, would it be best to buy double sided pedals (I'm assuming double sided means one side cleats, other side flat?)

I've noticed Shimano M505's listed on ebay for £19 delivered inc cleats. Anyone have any opinions as to whether these are suitable for a newbie?

Cheers

Comments

• xand_xand
    xand_xand Posts: 271
    M520's are the ones you need pal - @ £19.99 from retail stores now wiggle etc....
    absolutely perfect for beginner, picked mine up a few months ago and have never looked back.

Avoid the double sided jobs!
    MY CUBE
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    And cleats are almost always included with new pedals. Those 520s are very popular starting out. Don't forget to allow for a decent pair of clipless shoes too.
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    Go for the M520's. I went for a pair of double sided ones when I first started out and they were downright dangerous! Save 'em for a comuting bike.
  • Airienteer wrote:
    Go for the M520's. I went for a pair of double sided ones when I first started out and they were downright dangerous! Save 'em for a comuting bike.

Dangerous in what way? I use the bike for commuting as well, so was just thinking that the double sided pedals would be better, for the odd ocassion I don't have my SPD shoes?
  • JAKBLADE
    JAKBLADE Posts: 336
    I've just purchased my first set of clipless pedals, got the Time Atac Alium's from Eighteen
    Cyles in Hope(£35). Got good bit of float( good if you have dodgy knees like me). Very positive when clipping in and easy to unclip, not had any scary "can't get my foot out" as yet........but there is still time!!!!!!!!! Seem to be a good solid well made pedal.....
    Project Finished....On-one Inbred..
    Specialized Hardrock A1 Comp FS(1999-2000)
    Carrera Subway 2 (for work)
    Hoffman BMX (please don't hold this one against me!!)