Today I Failed to Climb This...

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
My Nemesis:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/hk/new%2 ... 1276742725

(it takes a while to load - it may say 'done' when it isn't)

It's an out and back route I've been eyeing for a while. I conquered the next hill along but that's only about 1.3km of climbing at 10%. This one is about 4km, most of it at around 10%. Click "Show elevation" to see all the pretty colours.

Anyway, I set off at 5.20 am and it was already 28 degrees and about 75% humidity. I felt OK until about half way up - legs starting to get a bit tired, heart rate going up a bit, but decided to jack it in at 2.2km. Funny thing was, I could have gone a little further but I was getting a bit bored! On the way home I added an extra 5km loop not shown here, but that was all flat. Even so, this is unfinished business - I'll be having another crack at it soon. It's inspired me to drink less beer and shift a couple of kilos so I might have a chance of hauling myself up there - my target is to do it by the end of November (when it's cooler!). Have any of you got hills you want to crack?

Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    It's weird looking a a map with oriental text.

I'm aiming to do this before the year's out. A lot of climbing, but most of it's a slog. I'm not so sure about the hairpins at Arno though, I may well have to walk it. :(

I'm going to wait until I've completed a couple of 100 km audaxes then use it to guage whether to go for a 160 km.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Crapaud,
    Nice part of the country - the elevation profile looks like my heart rate trace! What's the max/average ascent on the hills? Hard to tell from the scale on the chart.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    While i managed to get up half of it, ie the turn off to my folks place, while down there the other day i want to make it up all the way, only half a mile so should be easy enought but the land rises some 500ft there. making the hill hard steep. doable i think but hard work, no sitting and spinning....