My Feet Hurt......Will these help??

cheehee
cheehee Posts: 427
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Yo, on my road bike I have MTB SPD pedals (505's I think) the shoes I have are Specialized BG Sport MTB.

When I go for a longish (by my standards) ride, say 40 miles plus I get sore feet at the balls of my feet. I investigated this on here and found info on 'hot-spots'. So I've loosened my shoes off which helps a little.

However I did a longish ride today and my feet were hurting again. On my commute (10 miles each way) it's never a problem, just on the longer rides.

Anyhows would a pedal like these help??

shimano-pda530.jpg

Alternatively I could bite the bullet and fork out for a 'proper' road pedal and shoe, but I would prefer to keep my current shoes.

Thanks

Cheehee

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    These would be better, i was using them with the same shoes as you and had no problems.
    However i changed to road shoes and pedals and find them even better :D

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/4010/Shimano-PDA520-SPD-Touring-Cycle-Pedals.html?referrer=froogle&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid4010
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    +1 on the A520 - while it doesn't give you the flat platform flipside it does give you a bit of support at the sides when you're clipped in (which I think the a530 doesn't as the spd mechanism is set too high)- plus which A520 looks better on a road bike
  • cheehee
    I've just ordered a pair of the A520's.

Cheers

Cheehee
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I don't think those would make any difference - I've had them and didn't feel any difference over m520s - I think the most important thing is the mechanism of attachment to the pedal - and all spds are only held over a small area which lets the foot move a bit - even with stiff shoes.

I just changed a few weeks ago to 105 road pedals and couldn't believe the difference - they are much more secure and my knees feel great - same shoes too so it wasn't that.

The fact that almost the whole bottom of the shoe is attached feels much better.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • cheehee
    ^^

That's the route I'll have to go down if these pedals don't help.
  • jpm5555
    jpm5555 Posts: 56
    I had exactly the same issue.

I recently also got some 105 SPD-SL pedals and sone DHB R1 shoes (I still use my other shoes on my MTB) and the difference in general comfort is significant. It's taking me a while to get the hang of clipping into single sided pedals, and their is more float than I have previously been used to, but overall it was a good upgrade and solved my issues.