magliaceleste Posts: 748
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
Did anyone see this news?

http://www.bike-eu.com/news/3501/rumour ... gnolo.html

Say it isn't true :(

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Oh dear, if it is true, whatever will all those Campag users who look down on their noses at low life Shimano users do.

Commit hari-kari. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Campag owned by Shimano LMFAO :D:D:D

Will all the campag bike owners be setting their bikes alight in disgust :twisted:
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    They (Shimano) just want to buy the opposition as Giant did with Colnago and Truk with LeMond/Fisher etc
    M.Rushton
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I though SRAM would be more competition these days.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    And production, at least in part, moving to Romania....

I feel violated :(
  • But it's not Shimano. They have officially denied it at the bottom of that story.
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Say No to corporate components designed to fail - go singlespeed!
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Campag owned by Shimano LMFAO

Will all the campag bike owners be setting their bikes alight in disgust

+1

Campag snobs really get my goat. Prententious tw@ts.
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    There's nothing snobby about well engineered components designed to last, made by well paid workers.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    There's nothing snobby about well engineered components designed to last, made by well paid workers.

It's not the components - it's those who look down their noses at (arguably) better performing kit, just because it's not as aesthetically pleasing (in tehir opinion).
  • Frank the tank
    And production, at least in part, moving to Romania....

I feel violated :(

The ugly face of captalism means another "Marque" is soiled.

It may be the quality of the product is not compromised, but, I know if I was riding around on piece of Italian exotica it would stick right in my craw that the groupset (wholst having the right name on it) had been made in eastern europe instead of its spiritual and proper homeland.

BTW I actually use Shimano, but Campag users, Ifeel your pain. :cry:
    Tail end Charlie

• The sale doesn't make sense though.

Campagnolo charge premiums for the their products partially because of their heritage/Italian pedigree. Sell the company and that heritage goes straight out the window. Therefore the price premium isn't going to be justifiable..

The only other avenue I see available would be to sell out and get into the low end, low value market at the expense of the high end. A market that Campagnolo have no presence in currently. This would be a strange move as this is the opposite of adding value to your products.

Alternatively the story is utter rubbish...since Campag are quoted as saying "I am not going to give you an official answer on this, as this is not an official matter inside the company." Surely it would be an official matter if the Company was sold.
  • Frank the tank
    The sale doesn't make sense though.

Campagnolo charge premiums for the their products partially because of their heritage/Italian pedigree. Sell the company and that heritage goes straight out the window. Therefore the price premium isn't going to be justifiable..

The only other avenue I see available would be to sell out and get into the low end, low value market at the expense of the high end. A market that Campagnolo have no presence in currently. This would be a strange move as this is the opposite of adding value to your products.

Alternatively the story is utter rubbish...since Campag are quoted as saying "I am not going to give you an official answer on this, as this is not an official matter inside the company." Surely it would be an official matter if the Company was sold.

I'll say two words. Rolls Royce.
    Tail end Charlie

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010

It's not the components - it's those who look down their noses at (arguably) better performing kit, just because it's not as aesthetically pleasing (in tehir opinion).

I think the new Dura Ace chainset is very aesthetically pleasing. I've never liked the look of Campag carbon chainsets (I own one by the way) I'm not convinced it performs better though
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830

Yes whenever a Shimano user is out of earshot we spend the whole time slagging them off - who told you ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Campag owned by Shimano LMFAO

+1

Funny thing, is I've got bikes with both on and I've never met anyone with Campag who gave me grief for having Shimano but I have met a few people who have said similar to you about me for having Campagnolo. Just owning a bike with Campag seems to be enough to be labelled a Campag snob.

I don't get it, why am I a pretentious tw@t for having Campag on one of my bikes?

I like and it seems to work as well as my Shimano bike if it's set up properly so what's the problem? SRAM doesn't seem to get peoples goat in the same way as Campag so it can't just be that it's different to the norm.

For the record, (pun intended) a new owner might be the best thing for Campagnolo as their marketing department could do with a kick in the pants me thinks.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862

In none of my posts have I looked down on SRAM, SRAM is definitely a decent alternative to Campagnolo.
    Funny thing, is I've got bikes with both on and I've never met anyone with Campag who gave me grief for having Shimano but I have met a few people who have said similar to you about me for having Campagnolo. Just owning a bike with Campag seems to be enough to be labelled a Campag snob.

Pure jealously
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I'm not jelous of campag owners but it is slightly annoying when you get some snobbish talk regarding Campag V Shimano.

I'm not keen on campag shifters though, not tall enough, but I also prefer my Tiagra shifters over my 105 shifters.
  • freehub wrote:
    I'm not jelous of campag owners but it is slightly annoying when you get some snobbish talk regarding Campag V Shimano.

I don't mean to labour the point but being snobby about Campag V Shimano is exactly what you're doing here. It's pretty snobby to go around calling all Campag owners "Pretentious Twats" just because they didn't buy Shimano.

Personally, if Campag went bust I'd just buy DA next time as it seems that 7900 is getting much closer to the shape of Record/Chorus, which is what I prefer. I think I'd miss the thumb button though but I'd get used to it. They're just brands after all.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    freehub wrote:

I don't mean to labour the point but being snobby about Campag V Shimano is exactly what you're doing here. It's pretty snobby to go around calling all Campag owners "Pretentious Twats" just because they didn't buy Shimano.

Personally, if Campag went bust I'd just buy DA next time as it seems that 7900 is getting much closer to the shape of Record/Chorus, which is what I prefer. I think I'd miss the thumb button though but I'd get used to it. They're just brands after all.

What do you mean by "......closer to the shape of Record...."?
  • dennisn wrote:

Yeah, I'd better qualify that. I've not seen the new Dura Ace 7900 shifters in the flesh but they looked to me, from pictures, like they might be closer to the shape of Record '09 than DA 7800 were to '08 Record. Cosmetically, they've now got the cable routed under the tape too, not that makes a difference to how they feel to hold.

I like the Campagnolo thumb shifter personally and being able to down-shift more than sprocket at once which I assume you can't do with SRAM so if I was considering getting something other than Campagnolo I'd probably look at Shimano, YMMV.

I sort of think that shifters are going to be a bit like saddles, in that what works for me might not work for you.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dennisn wrote:

Yeah, I'd better qualify that. I've not seen the new Dura Ace 7900 shifters in the flesh but they looked to me, from pictures, like they might be closer to the shape of Record '09 than DA 7800 were to '08 Record. Cosmetically, they've now got the cable routed under the tape too, not that makes a difference to how they feel to hold.

I like the Campagnolo thumb shifter personally and being able to down-shift more than sprocket at once which I assume you can't do with SRAM so if I was considering getting something other than Campagnolo I'd probably look at Shimano, YMMV.

I sort of think that shifters are going to be a bit like saddles, in that what works for me might not work for you.

I only ask because I have a hard time understanding how anyone can have problems with
    any of the shifter groups. They are all right there at your fingertips. I also have an older bike (60's) that I use on a trainer and I don't find the hoods any less comfy than my
    DA equipped road bike.
  • dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

I only ask because I have a hard time understanding how anyone can have problems with
    any of the shifter groups. They are all right there at your fingertips. I also have an older bike (60's) that I use on a trainer and I don't find the hoods any less comfy than my
    DA equipped road bike.

Quite right too, the saddle analogy was a bad one, sorry.

I certainly wouldn't claim either of my bikes' shifters (Campagnolo Chorus 10 and Shimano Tiagra triple on a 'cross.) were uncomfortable just different and I currently have a personal preference for Campag. If I had to change for what ever reason I'd probably grumble for a bit and then be perfectly happy with what ever I switched too.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Campag owned by Shimano LMFAO

+1

Pretentious..............moi??!!

:lol:
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    i have owned both campag mirage and shimano 105 and they both do the job very well i find all the arguing about which is best pathetic they both do the same job very well (change gear) if there was such a difference between the them i think the pro tour would all be riding the same product it seems a fairly even split between the three manufacturers.
    as for looks can you even see it when riding??
  • Anyway back on topic....For Campag fans, the rumour is a load of rubbish. Here is the update from bike-eu.

News
    Update on Campagnolo Rumours

VICENZA, Italy - Campagnolo has not been sold and is not for sale. That’s what the renowned Italian component maker is now officially saying to all its relations throughout the world.

Yesterday Bike Europe published in its e-Mail Newsletter and on its website an article saying that strong rumours in the bike industry in Europe as well as Asia indicate that Campagnolo has been sold. Asked whether he could confirm or deny the sale Campagnolo’s Marketing & Communication Director Lorenzo Taxis said yesterday: “I am not going to give you an official answer on this, as this is not an official matter inside the company.”

Maybe because Campagnolo got overwhelmed with reactions as since Bike Europe published the article close to 20,000 industry insiders have read the story on the website www.bike-eu.com, the company and Lorenzo Taxis now states:

“Apparently summer temperature brings silly gossip! Campagnolo do not know who has the time to circulate crazy rumors; instead we prefer, as usual, not to waste time and concentrate on business. Campagnolo is not on sale ! Have a nice summer period and see you in September.”
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    The sale doesn't make sense though.

I wouldn't say Campag charges a premium at all for its components in fatc I'd have to say its pretty good value for money compared to Shimano and SRAM at the moment and I cant see their prices going down for a long time if at all.
    I like both Shimano and Camapg and the only reason I have Campag on my best bike is because I prefer the lever shape especially of the new Ultrashift and I like the hidden gear cables which Shimano have just started doing on Dura ace.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    I have 105 on my best bike and Mirage on my winter bike. I like Mirage better. I hated it when i got it, it couldnt get used to the hoods, but I prefer them now and I havent had to make any sort of adjustments to it in 12 months. Im constantly tweaking the Shimano set up!!
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I've got a Shimano bike and a Campagnolo bike.

There really isn't that much difference between them. :|
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    @Everyone: There's no "i" in Campag. Restated.