first race required

tubaonwheels
tubaonwheels Posts: 448
edited September 2009 in XC and Enduro
Hi, this is my first post on here, I've managed to get myself fairly fit (I think) and would like to test myself in a race within striking distance from Leeds.
I am an old gimmer (56) that has been a reasonable runner (road, track,XC and fells) in the past but failing knees have curtailed that activity.

I have had 3 months touring Europe this spring in my motorhome and have managed to build up a bit of fitness and got hooked on the mountain bike riding. Being the competitive type I'm dying to find out just how fit I am, so need to either meet up for rides with like minded people or find a race or two.
Any ideas folks?

Steve

Comments

• SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    Check out this for some details of how to go about entering your first race...

http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/racingFirstRace.asp

Check out Brownbacks Racing, they're close by and have a great series...

www.brownbacksracing.co.uk

Here is my report from one of their events earlier in the year...

http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/races/2009/bb_r1_2009.asp

Good luck!

Cheers

Si
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • tubaonwheels
    Thanks for all that Si, I've read through most of it and printed off a brownbacks entry form. I am just a little wary of the technical aspects (after reading your race report).

I rode around the red trail at Dalby forest with my son yesterday, and managed that course pretty well, certainly fit enough but a bit slow on the really technical stuff.
    I've also ridden the trails at Gisburn forest including the big berm and managed them (with care).
    Really fancy a race but don't want to be out of my depth and hold people up.

Thanks again, Steve.
  • SiLanc
    You'll be fine. Start of with the 'fun' category, get there early and well prepared (see my other pages about this), do a pre-ride of the course before the start and most of all...enjoy it!

You'll be fine. If you fancy a ride sometime we could have a pootle around Gisburn together...we could probably learn a little from each other.

Si
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • tubaonwheels
    You've convinced me, I shall get the form filled in and posted before I change my mind!
    I'll probably find a campsite and go up the day before in the motorhome.

I was introduced to Gisburn By a guy called Tommy (a downhiller) who works on the courses up there, we stopped at the campsite at Tosside which is good, Will definatley be heading back there again this year.
    We're going to Austwick in the Dales this weekend so I'll get a couple of good sessions in on the trails around there.

Steve.
  • ledger
    ledger Posts: 47
    there,s a midland xc race in sherwood pines in september all detail should be on xcracer. its not a bad run from leeds. the courses are not normally that tecnical as it pretty flat.i did my first race here in the british mountainbike race series and know im hooked.start in the open / fun catagorys and see how you get on
    Scott spark 35 09 with some ugrades
  • tubaonwheels
    Cheers ledger, I do like it hilly though, I think I'm pretty strong on hills and my son thinks I'm a mental descender. The true test will come when I go out amongst more experienced guys though.
    I quite fancy an endurance event - but not yet, maybe next year, as I've done some seriously long running events in the past.
    I will check out the sherwood pines, I have a feeling once I've "broken my duck" more races will have to follow.

PS just noticed your location, I've been to Edwinstowe, lovely place and as you say not a bad run for me (I am south of Leeds not far from A1)

Steve.
  • teb
    teb Posts: 7
    Hey tubaonwheels,

I think you'll love the Brownbacks races, and I wouldn't get intimidates by the other racers. There are loads of abilities there and the course is a lot of fun.

If you're looking for a more relaxed 'race', the Holme Valley Challenge on the 13th Sept is a great one. Massive field of about 400 riders, all abilities and a testing route to take on.
    2009 British Universities Gold Medal, MTB XC
    2009 Brownbacks Series Champion

LUCC/ Stif Mountain Bikes
  • teb
    teb Posts: 7
    Hey tubaonwheels,

I think you'll love the Brownbacks races, and I wouldn't get intimidates by the other racers. There are loads of abilities there and the course is a lot of fun.

If you're looking for a more relaxed 'race', the Holme Valley Challenge on the 13th Sept is a great one. Massive field of about 400 riders, all abilities and a testing route to take on.
    2009 British Universities Gold Medal, MTB XC
    2009 Brownbacks Series Champion

LUCC/ Stif Mountain Bikes
  • Cheers teb, I'll have a look at that one, fairly local for me.
  • SiLanc
    Remember to let us know how you got on :)
  • Well that was tough! But fun. I'm well and truly knackered now.
    Got around in one piece, only fell off once (well twice if you include the warm up :oops: )
    Struggled on the one steep rough descent and lost a lot of time on that section each lap, but all in all enjoyed the course and was pretty chuffed to do 6 laps and finish 4th in the have a go class.
    Thanks for reccomending it Si and thanks to the organisers and marshalls for putting on such a good event.

Steve.
  • now you can have a nice little trip up to northumberland and try this in october :Dhttp://www.kieldertrailreavers.co.uk/in ... 6&Itemid=7
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon, 2011
    Specialized Stumpjumper, 07
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04
  • Mmmmmmm looks interesting, I shall give it some thought.
    Is it within the capabilities of an enthusiastic fit old newbie? And would a trip up that way beforehand be beneficial?
  • SiLanc
    tubaonwheels-Glad you enjoyed it! I was gutted to miss out but I've been trying to find a new job having recently been made redundant so I'm ridiculously busy at the moment, plus I've been doing some lap by lap analysis of various races on my website which has kept me busy. Fortunately I now have a joba nd I now have the analysis sussed so I can get back to the website, training and more importantly racing :) You should consider the Thetford Winter Series...it's very good.

timberjack - that looks like a cracking event. Unfortunately I've got a wedding that weekend :(
  • Mmmmmmm looks interesting, I shall give it some thought.
    Is it within the capabilities of an enthusiastic fit old newbie? And would a trip up that way beforehand be beneficial?
    Of course it would be within your capabilities, and riding it beforehand would be usefull, although i'm sure you dont need to
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon, 2011
    Specialized Stumpjumper, 07
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04
  • Well I've weighed up all the options and decided to miss this weekends Brownbacks and have a bash at the Hope mtb challenge. I feel the need of a longer day out :D
  • Good choice. Fabulous sunny day, a really challenging route with some nice long climbs which I liked and some very long rough/tech descents which I found difficult (and slow-for me). Enjoyed the climb up Jacobs ladder even though I did more walking than riding, my fell running experience came in handy there.
    I think the advertised 38 miles for the long route was a bit of an exageration though, I reckon it was nearer to 30.

Two races (well one race and one challenge :wink: ) I'm starting to feel experienced :D