Planet X SL Pro Carbon

t0ph0id
t0ph0id Posts: 191
edited July 2009 in Workshop
I've currently got a 09 Specialized Allez Elite and am wanting to upgrade the frame and forks to the Planet X.

I've built my own mountain bikes before so know a bit about what I'm doing but my questioon is will the components all transfer ok?

What problems can you see me having?

Thanks

Comments

• 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    I have owned an 07 Allez and now have a Planet X.

The parts that are definitely different sizes are:

Seatpost (31.6mm vs 27.2mm)
    Seatclamp (34.9mm versus 31.8mm)
    Front derailleur (34.9 versus 31.8mm)

You'll also need a fork bung for the carbon steerer, which you can buy from Planet X. The other possible difference is the headset, but I bought mine as a complete bike so I'm not sure on this one.
    Alex
  • t0ph0id
    I think seat post, seat clamp and bung I would get from planet x when I order it.

So would just be a new front mech.
    Just hope I can sell the Allez off!

What size Planet X did you get compared to the Allez? And how does the ride compare?

Thanks for your help.
  • pabloweaver
    pabloweaver Posts: 444
    I didnt upgrade.....I just kept my allez comp for foul weather and commuting ....planet x for "best" ...but clearly that means spending and not recouping ...although got to be honest, if the cash is there I prefer to have 2 ( ish :D ) bikes over one .
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    t0ph0id wrote:
    I think seat post, seat clamp and bung I would get from planet x when I order it.

What size Planet X did you get compared to the Allez? And how does the ride compare?

Thanks for your help.

I went from a 58cm Allez to an XL Planet X. The Planet X is generally a bit longer in the top tube and a bit lower in the head tube than the Allez, ie a more aggressive race type geometry. Bear in mind with a carbon steerer you can't use too many headset spacers to raise the bars up like you can with the aluminium steerer on the Allez.

The ride compared to the Spesh is more racy; it's fun to rag it hard and my average speeds have gone up accordingly. It seems a bit less harsh as well which is nice on longer rides.
    Alex
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    t0ph0id wrote:

Thanks for your help.

are you selling the allez frame and forks off then? - what size are they?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I suggest you get a carbon post for the planet-x (unless you already have one). My P-X alu post, supplied with the bike, started to corrode and was threatening to get stuck. Replaced it last week.
  • t0ph0id
    Unfortunately I can have only one road bike as my girlfriend wont let me have three bikes in the flat!

I'm now considering selling the Allez as a complete and buying a full build Planet X

Specialized is only 3 months old and not done that many miles. They're £980 new now, what do you think it'd be worth second hand?

2alexcoo
    Thanks for the info, I'm 5'7" and going from a 54cm Allez so considering a small Planet X.
    From what you say it sounds just like what I'm after.
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    I'm 5'5" and have a 52cm Allez and a small PX SL, so you might have to consider the medium PX.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I'm 5'9" and the medium P-X is a perfect fit for me, I have a 110mm stem. You may be between sm and m. Note that the small only takes 1 bottle cage (if that is of any importance).
  • t0ph0id
    gkerr4 wrote:
    t0ph0id wrote:

Thanks for your help.

are you selling the allez frame and forks off then? - what size are they?

It's a 54cm 2009, are you interested? Also might be selling the whole bike if you're interested in that?
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    hmm - 54 - perfect - but only really interested in the frame - I want to rebuild it with Campag so I have a winter bike with similar geometry and (same manufacturer) groupset as my summer bike.