Headset - feels 'lumpy' not smooth when turning bars ?

bilabonic
bilabonic Posts: 299
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Hi

I have recently taken apart my headset for cleaning and put everything back correct.

It know feels lumpy when rotating it. I did tighten the headset bolt up very tight. Could i be applying to much pressure to the bearings ?

How tight should it be ?

Cheers
Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    How tight should it be ? Not so tight that its locked or as you're finding not turning smoothly, you've obviously overtightened it.

If its an Aheadset then according to my Zinn book it should only need about 2Nm force, which is not a lot.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I just keep slowely tightening the headset preload and then putting the front brake on and checking for play untill the play has gone then I stop tightening it.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I check by trying to turn the spacers. If you can just do this with a firm grip it is about right.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Initially, I tighten mine up so the steering goes slighhtly stiff - then, unscrew the allen bolt a little bit until the steering turns freely and smoothly.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Mettan wrote:
    Initially, I tighten mine up so the steering goes slighhtly stiff - then, unscrew the allen bolt a little bit until the steering turns freely and smoothly.
    I do this first. Then do the spacer check. Sort of belt and braces.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    I removed a spacer to drop my bars and spent ages re-reading Zinn to try and figure out why I couldnt eliminate a very slight "notchy" feeling around dead centre. 20 mins of peeing around and I eventually realised it was due to the exposed cables rubbing on each other where they cross in front of the head tube :oops: .