Bike suggestion

stevetewks
stevetewks Posts: 4
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,
brand new to the forum. I wanted some advice and my bro-in-law said this is the place to ask!
I took up biking spring 08 and have done about 3500 miles since. I only have a 'basic' road bike and think its about time i invested in a better one. My bro-in-l and my dad (still going very strong at 74) both have Specialized which they are happy with. I could get the same but feel like I would be a sheep! I quite like the idea of getting a Trek. I am not going to spend silly money, maybe 500-600. Anyone have any good tips/suggestions? Makes to avoid?!
Thanks

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Trek 1.5 is about £650, make sure you go for a spin on any bike you are considering and push for any extras to be thrown in for the sale. If the lbs is any good they will match the right frame for your size and set it up correctly before handing it over to you.
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Glad I noticed this as I was about to post something similar. I'm a total beginner and I need advice on what kind of road bikes to look at and how to go about it e.g. online or visit retailers.

Cheers folks
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Roscobob wrote:
    Glad I noticed this as I was about to post something similar. I'm a total beginner and I need advice on what kind of road bikes to look at and how to go about it e.g. online or visit retailers.

Cheers folks

Visit several local lbs, and buyfrom one of them
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    You need a bike that suits you, don't worry what the others have.

I'd recomend a Spez Allez or Sentaur (Spelling) as well.

If the Trek suits, then fine, but if a Spez is best for you, then go for it
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got the Trek 1.9, I love it. The 1.5 has the same frame.

Eveyone will recommend somehting different, because it all depends on what fits them. Try a few and see what fits the best. Once you've got a short list, post it here and ask for some more info on your short list.

Have fun......... Matt
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Dave-M
    Dave-M Posts: 206
    I'm in exactly the same boat.

I think for best equipment the Focus and BeOne can be had for £600 and include Tiagra shifters/parts.

I've looked at Sora equiped stuff, and it looks like you need your hand on the top of the bars to change down, rather than the Tiagras - I'm a novice so could be talking claptrap.

I'd still like a Bianchi though with less spec 8)
    2010 Specialized Allez Elite
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper
    2009 Quintana Roo Seduza
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Thanks guys........I will be back!
  • Redsteveb
    Redsteveb Posts: 201
    Does it have to be a brand new bike? There are some great bargains on e bay at the moment, and I'm sure some dealers carry some good stock which have been px'd for newer models.
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Dave-M wrote:

I'd still like a Bianchi though with less spec 8)

Get one then!

Your new bike...

:wink:
  • Dave-M
    Dave-M Posts: 206
    Its a head and heart thing!
    2010 Specialized Allez Elite
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper
    2009 Quintana Roo Seduza
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Follow your heart. It's only money and you can't take it with you...
  • Well, Trek 1.5 bought! Now I just need it to stop bloody pouring down so I can get on it!
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Definately agree there steve.. god damn JULY and all this rain!!